Topics

I am getting this message on my computer. "Preparing; for automatic repair.

Jim Rawls

Hi all,

On Sunday morning, I turned on my computer and heard jaws say, preparing for automatic repair.

I have never heard that before. I tried to do everything with the computer and nothing works. It just sits there. my sighted wife says it lights up, but that’s all. So my computer is now a rock that lights up. I can’t get Microsoft to help, because I can’t get into the computer to  connect to them.

I am using a very old clunker computer, and if you like to watch the grass grow, you might get something done with this guy. Is there anything I can do to get my windows ten  computer to function again, or has it gone to that  big Best Buy store in the sky? Help please, and it will be greatly appreciated. Jim

Gene

I'm not a tech but if you turn on the computer and there is no error message nor any message such as telling you the computer is doing something such as booting up, then it sounds to me like a hardware failure. 

It is a real inconvenience installing and customizing everything on a new machine but if your machine is that old, it may not be worth spending money on it an gambling that nothing else will go wrong for long enough to make the expense worth it.  I don't know how much you would spend but I wouldn't be surprised if it would be more than 150 dollars.  So I'm not saying what you should do.  I'm saying that if your machine is very old, as you imply, it is a gamble.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 11:11 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] I am getting this message on my computer. "Preparing; for automatic repair.

Hi all,

On Sunday morning, I turned on my computer and heard jaws say, preparing for automatic repair.

I have never heard that before. I tried to do everything with the computer and nothing works. It just sits there. my sighted wife says it lights up, but that’s all. So my computer is now a rock that lights up. I can’t get Microsoft to help, because I can’t get into the computer to  connect to them.

I am using a very old clunker computer, and if you like to watch the grass grow, you might get something done with this guy. Is there anything I can do to get my windows ten  computer to function again, or has it gone to that  big Best Buy store in the sky? Help please, and it will be greatly appreciated. Jim

Jim Rawls

It's not the windows ten computer that's old, it's the one I am using to write to
you that's old. The windows ten computer is three years old. Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 9:43 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] I am getting this message on my computer. "Preparing; for
automatic repair.

I'm not a tech but if you turn on the computer and there is no error message nor
any message such as telling you the computer is doing something such as booting up,
then it sounds to me like a hardware failure.

It is a real inconvenience installing and customizing everything on a new machine
but if your machine is that old, it may not be worth spending money on it an
gambling that nothing else will go wrong for long enough to make the expense worth
it. I don't know how much you would spend but I wouldn't be surprised if it would
be more than 150 dollars. So I'm not saying what you should do. I'm saying that
if your machine is very old, as you imply, it is a gamble.

Gene

Subject: [TechTalk] I am getting this message on my computer. "Preparing; for
automatic repair.

Hi all,

On Sunday morning, I turned on my computer and heard jaws say, preparing for
automatic repair.

I have never heard that before. I tried to do everything with the computer and
nothing works. It just sits there. my sighted wife says it lights up, but that's
all. So my computer is now a rock that lights up. I can't get Microsoft to help,
because I can't get into the computer to connect to them.

I am using a very old clunker computer, and if you like to watch the grass grow,
you might get something done with this guy. Is there anything I can do to get my
windows ten computer to function again, or has it gone to that big Best Buy store
in the sky? Help please, and it will be greatly appreciated. Jim

Gerald Levy

Well, the good news is that the computer crapped out  just before Black Friday.  There will be dozens of great deals on new desktops and laptops.  Aside from the hassle of having to reinstall everything on a new computer, it might be cheaper to buy a new one than spend a lot of money to have the old one repaired, especially if it is more than about 7 years old. A technician might charge $150 to $200 just to look at it with no guarantee that he can get it to work.  For $150, you can obtain a fully featured Windows 10 desktop from Computers for the Blind with JAWS 2020 already installed and activated.  All you would have to do is reinstall your other programs and files, which you have presumably backed up on an external hard drive.

Gerald

On 11/25/2019 12:50 PM, Jim Rawls wrote:
It's not the windows ten computer that's old, it's the one I am using to write to

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] I am getting this message on my computer. "Preparing; for
automatic repair.

I'm not a tech but if you turn on the computer and there is no error message nor
any message such as telling you the computer is doing something such as booting up,
It is a real inconvenience installing and customizing everything on a new machine
gambling that nothing else will go wrong for long enough to make the expense worth
it. I don't know how much you would spend but I wouldn't be surprised if it would
be more than 150 dollars. So I'm not saying what you should do. I'm saying that
Gene

automatic repair.

Hi all,

automatic repair.

nothing works. It just sits there. my sighted wife says it lights up, but that's
all. So my computer is now a rock that lights up. I can't get Microsoft to help,
because I can't get into the computer to connect to them.

I am using a very old clunker computer, and if you like to watch the grass grow,
you might get something done with this guy. Is there anything I can do to get my
windows ten computer to function again, or has it gone to that big Best Buy store

Gene

First, I want to be clear on what is happening.  When you turn on the computer, does anything happen?  Your first message appears to say that nothing happens except the screen lighting up.  If anything else happens, can you describe it or give us some idea?

If you do a Google search on preparing automatic repair Windows 10, you will get lots of suggestions.  They sound as though sighted help is required from the little I read.  I thought it was a hardware problem because you say that when you boot now, you see nothing except the screen lighting up.  the Google results seem to indicate that preparing automatic repair appears on the screen when people try to boot but I didn't look thoroughly and some may not. 

The first thing I would suggest is to look at a few results and see if anything matches what you are experiencing and if you can try any of the suggestions.  If not, if your screen shows nothing when you turn on the machine except that it turns on and is light, then it sounds as though a repair may be in order. 

Gene

Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 11:50 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] I am getting this message on my computer. "Preparing; for automatic repair.

automatic repair.

it.  I don't know how much you would spend but I wouldn't be surprised if it would
be more than 150 dollars.  So I'm not saying what you should do.  I'm saying that

Gene

automatic repair.

Hi all,

automatic repair.

because I can't get into the computer to  connect to them.

windows ten  computer to function again, or has it gone to that  big Best Buy store

Steve Matzura

Beg, borrow, or steal a hundred bucks from somewhere some way somehow, get yourself a replacement disk, and then immediately, if not sooner, get yourself a copy of Terabyte Unlimited's Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite, a.k.a. Image for Windows, reinstall Windows 10 and accompanying layered products, then get yourself a USB drive caddy and get all the media files off that old drive that is possible to get.

Steve Matzura

Beg, borrow, or steal a hundred bucks from somewhere some way somehow, get yourself a replacement disk, and then immediately, if not sooner, get yourself a copy of Terabyte Unlimited's Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite, a.k.a. Image for Windows, reinstall Windows 10 and accompanying layered products, then get yourself a USB drive caddy and get all the media files off that old drive that is possible to get.

Loy

Here is a link to a You Tube video which could help you solve your problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUKHp4Q_Fls

To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:39 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] I am getting this message on my computer. "Preparing; for automatic repair.