Topics

I am totally embarrassed at my last emails. sorry for the emails.

Jim Rawls

Hi all, I have been with the Microsoft desk five different times on this, and they finally told me that they couldn’t help me. They think I have a hard ware issue. I have been trying to get this computer to update all the windows update for month’s .now, and it just won’t update. I have jaws 2018 on it, but it is only part of the program. For example I have jaws 18 Om my desk top. When I hit enter on it, it doesn’t go to options, basic, etc. it opens to jaws, roaming, settings. I have a disc here with jaws 2018 on it, and it tries to install, but the install fails at   50%. I tried to install versions 19 through 2021 and they all failed at 50%.This computer used to be wonderful. I haven’t a clue as to what has happened to titlist there any way I can reset the computer, and get a   fresh start with it? How could I do that and keep the programs I have? Is there anything I can do? This is an ASUS computer, 3 years old? Thanks for putting up with my earlier emails. Jim.

taylor arndt

Hello,

I would reset the computer, and backup your data. You can backup your most important items on a flash drive or in the cloud and reset. I know it is a pane, but I think it is going to need to happen.

Taylor Arndt

Founder Taylors Accessibility Services LLC

Email: taylor@...

Phone: 2692135087

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

Jim, if I had your problem, I'd bite the bullet and call my
computer guy.

[...]

Gene

Windows 10 has a feature, I don't know what it is called, that allows you to restore Windows while keeping your programs or while not keeping them. I don't know enough about the feature to discuss it in any detail but it may give you something to inquire about.

I don't know if it is better to try this or have the computer checked or just get a new one. We don't know how old it is and whether it is worth spending any meaningful amount of money to diagnose and perhaps repair in terms of the computer itself.

[...]

Janet

Hi Jim,

Wow, this sounds like a real mess!  Jim, do you know what MS checked on your PC? I know sometimes certain antivirus applications that are well known for causing issues like these.  Did MS turn off Firewall , and try the updates? Did MS check how much space on your PC? Did MS Check third-party drivers and download any updates?  I am not very familiar with Windows Ten yet, but I’m  learning! LOL!  I do know Windows can cause problems like these.  I can’t tell you just how many times I felt like pulling out my hair, just because of Windows, or just throwing the PC out the Window!     As far as downloading JAWS, you can always download him from the JAWS web site, if you can download at all.

Janet

[...]

Hi Gene,
Maybe you are referring to the Recovery feature in Windows Ten, if so, I think that can be found in the Control Panel.

Janet

[...]

Pablo Morales

You can refresh your windows. However, it imply that you will need to reinstall all software. Nevertheless, being you, I would do a defrag on my hard drive.

On google are a lot of guidance about how to defrag. If you have windows 10, the process of refreshing is even easier. However, I would do the defrag before. Looks like on your hard drive are loosen things.

[...]

Hi Pablo,

This is true, but we don’t know what MS has tried yet.  Sometimes, MS doesn’t know what to do either, even though, they should, as that is why they are there.  I’ve worked with MS before, and sometimes, I wish I didn’t for the simple fact, by the time they got done with my PC, it was a mess!  But then again, there have been times my PC was better, so it’s hard to say.

Janet