if you were getting a new computer.

Jim Rawls

Hi all,

It looks like I can select what I want on the computer I am getting, so, I want your opinions.

What would you like on your computer? Since I am into music, and use music files for my global voice shows, I obviously want a good player, and, a good recorder to use. I want win amp as my primary player, and have been using virtual recorder, but  I’m open to suggestions on any  recorder you like. How much memory etc. would you like?   any of these thoughts are appreciated. I am running jaws 2018, but will be running jaws 2021 on my  new computer.[Jim

Gene

People can tell you what players and recording programs they use but the answer won't mean much without knowing if your programs meet your needs now or what needs you want met that aren't being. the reason to use Virtual Recorder is that it allows you to record what your sound card plays even if your sound card doesn't support a what you hear option, also called Stereo Mix and other names.

We don't know what format of files you use. If you only use MP3 files, then for editing, if you do editing, MP3 Direct Cut is a very good choice. But we don't know if you edit files or want to. It’s a free program.

If Winamp meets your needs, then why use a different player?

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2021 1:26 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] if you were getting a new computer.

Hi all,

It looks like I can select what I want on the computer I am getting, so, I want your opinions.

What would you like on your computer? Since I am into music, and use music files for my global voice shows, I obviously want a good player, and, a good recorder to use. I want win amp as my primary player, and have been using virtual recorder, but I’m open to suggestions on any recorder you like. How much memory etc. would you like? any of these thoughts are appreciated. I am running jaws 2018, but will be running jaws 2021 on my new computer.[Jim

John Holcomb II

Do you forsee yourself  doing anything more then  broadcasting?

I’d go with two sound cards  for one  thing.

Is there a price you have to contend with?

How are you storing your music files?

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Rawls
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2021 2:26 AM

Hi all,

What would you like on your computer? Since I am into music, and use music files for my global voice shows, I obviously want a good player, and, a good recorder to use. I want win amp as my primary player, and have been using virtual recorder, but  I’m open to suggestions on any  recorder you like. How much memory etc. would you like?   any of these thoughts are appreciated. I am running jaws 2018, but will be running jaws 2021 on my  new computer.[Jim

lynn white

Whatever you do even if you have enough storage on the machine, have a backup external drive or two for your music.

On 4/15/2021 9:28 AM, John Holcomb II wrote:

John

Hi all,

John Holcomb II

I’ve got even more questions.

Are you free to pick what you want just with the software? Ore are they  flexible with the processor, ram and storage options, too?

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of lynn white
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2021 10:43 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] if you were getting a new computer.

Whatever you do even if you have enough storage on the machine, have a backup external drive or two for your music.

John

Hi all,

Jim Rawls

I’ll let you know.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Holcomb II
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2021 7:46 AM

I’ve got even more questions.

Are you free to pick what you want just with the software? Ore are they  flexible with the processor, ram and storage options, too?

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of lynn white
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2021 10:43 AM

John

Hi all,

Jim Rawls

I will let you know as I find out.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Holcomb II
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2021 7:28 AM

John

Hi all,

enes sarıbaş

At a bare minimum, go for gigabit ethernet options, 8 gb of dual channel ram, an ssd of at least 512 gb, 1tb if you can aford it, even if you don't use 1tb the 1tb drive has a much higher write speed and endurance. A processor should be at least current gen 11th gen intel or fifth gen AMD r5, don't getv stuff like pentium/celeron/i3 processors.

On 4/15/2021 1:30 PM, Jim Rawls wrote:

John

Hi all,

John Holcomb II

I don’t think most normal users would need 512GB.

IT really depends on what he is doing.

With read/write at 500 MB for a Sata-based SSD, he doesn’t need to worry too much about that either.

I’d say  a Core I5 would do it. AMD vs. intel either of these would be fine.

We have no idea what kinda budget he is working with so THESE are just some points to consider.

I do however agree with the 8GB ram.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 1:55 AM

At a bare minimum, go for gigabit ethernet options, 8 gb of dual channel ram, an ssd of at least 512 gb, 1tb if you can aford it, even if you don't use 1tb the 1tb drive has a much higher write speed and endurance. A processor should be at least current gen 11th gen intel or fifth gen AMD r5, don't getv stuff like pentium/celeron/i3 processors.

John

Hi all,

enes sarıbaş

As I said though, programs are getting bigger. I'd go with at 16 gb if budget allowed to be safe. But the 512 drives have more  write capacity before they have to be replaced, and also faster write performance.

On 4/18/2021 9:04 AM, John Holcomb II wrote:

With read/write at 500 MB for a Sata-based SSD, he doesn’t need to worry too much about that either.

We have no idea what kinda budget he is working with so THESE are just some points to consider.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of enes saribas

John

Hi all,

John Holcomb II

Yeah I agree on 16GB if budget allows.

Less paging  this way.

John

Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 11:59 AM

As I said though, programs are getting bigger. I'd go with at 16 gb if budget allowed to be safe. But the 512 drives have more  write capacity before they have to be replaced, and also faster write performance.

John

John

Hi all,

Gene

I doubt programs are getting that much bigger. Since I haven't seen this elsewhere, I'll put it in the interesting category but I'd want a good deal more verification. And even if they are, I am not convinced that justifies getting more than 8GB for the average user. You can add this expense and that expense until you are spending one-hundred or two or three hundred dollars more than you have to and derive no meaningful benefit.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/much-ram-really-need/

Regarding digital drives, they are so fast to start with that even if the larger drives are faster, does that matter? What are we talking about, perhaps half a second speed difference to load a program? and can you document that larger digital drives will last longer and that it matters? Digital drives, from what I've readd will generally last far longer than the computer using them so I remain to be convinced.

Regarding price, following your recommendations for a hard drive and for RAM, how much more money would you be spending?

Gene

Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 10:58 AM

As I said though, programs are getting bigger. I'd go with at 16 gb if budget allowed to be safe. But the 512 drives have more write capacity before they have to be replaced, and also faster write performance.

I’d say a Core I5 would do it. AMD vs. intel either of these would be fine.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io On Behalf Of enes saribas

Do you forsee yourself doing anything more then broadcasting?

I’d go with two sound cards for one thing.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io On Behalf Of Jim Rawls

Hi all,

What would you like on your computer? Since I am into music, and use music files for my global voice shows, I obviously want a good player, and, a good recorder to use. I want win amp as my primary player, and have been using virtual recorder, but I’m open to suggestions on any recorder you like. How much memory etc. would you like? any of these thoughts are appreciated. I am running jaws 2018, but will be running jaws 2021 on my new computer.[Jim

Monte Single

Hi List,

I am not in the market for a new computer, knock on wood.

What is the new memory I hear of these days.  It is called octane memory.

Is this part of the ram, processor, of drive?

Cheers,

Monte

Sent: April 18, 2021 9:59 AM

John

John

Hi all,

John Holcomb II

It was made by Intel I and is on the way out.

I forget what it is though.

Digital drive? I’ve never heard anyone call anything a digital drive before. What is that.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 12:45 PM

Hi List,

What is the new memory I hear of these days.  It is called octane memory.

Cheers,

Monte

John

John

Hi all,

Gene

I meant solid state drives. It is evidently incorrect to refer to them as digital drives.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 11:58 AM

Digital drive? I’ve never heard anyone call anything a digital drive before. What is that.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Monte Single

Hi List,

What is the new memory I hear of these days. It is called octane memory.

Cheers,

Monte

As I said though, programs are getting bigger. I'd go with at 16 gb if budget allowed to be safe. But the 512 drives have more write capacity before they have to be replaced, and also faster write performance.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io On Behalf Of enes saribas

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io On Behalf Of Jim Rawls

Hi all,

Monte Single

Heck, you could spend an extra thousand dollars just by getting high end video and processor.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: April 18, 2021 10:38 AM

I doubt programs are getting that much bigger. Since I haven't seen this elsewhere, I'll put it in the interesting category but I'd want a good deal more verification. And even if they are, I am not convinced that justifies getting more than 8GB for the average user. You can add this expense and that expense until you are spending one-hundred or two or three hundred dollars more than you have to and derive no meaningful benefit.

Regarding digital drives, they are so fast to start with that even if the larger drives are faster, does that matter? What are we talking about, perhaps half a second speed difference to load a program? and can you document that larger digital drives will last longer and that it matters?
Digital drives, from what I've readd will generally last far longer than the computer using them so I remain to be convinced.

Regarding price, following your recommendations for a hard drive and for RAM, how much more money would you be spending?

Gene

As I said though, programs are getting bigger. I'd go with at 16 gb if
budget allowed to be safe. But the 512 drives have more write capacity
before they have to be replaced, and also faster write performance.

With read/write at 500 MB for a Sata-based SSD, he doesn’t need to worry too
much about that either.

We have no idea what kinda budget he is working with so THESE are just some
points to consider.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io On Behalf Of
enes saribas

At a bare minimum, go for gigabit ethernet options, 8 gb of dual channel
ram, an ssd of at least 512 gb, 1tb if you can aford it, even if you don't
use 1tb the 1tb drive has a much higher write speed and endurance. A
processor should be at least current gen 11th gen intel or fifth gen AMD r5,
don't getv stuff like pentium/celeron/i3 processors.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
John Holcomb II

John

Jim Rawls

Hi all,

It looks like I can select what I want on the computer I am getting, so, I
want your opinions.

What would you like on your computer? Since I am into music, and use music
files for my global voice shows, I obviously want a good player, and, a good
recorder to use. I want win amp as my primary player, and have been using
virtual recorder, but I’m open to suggestions on any recorder you like.
How much memory etc. would you like? any of these thoughts are
appreciated. I am running jaws 2018, but will be running jaws 2021 on my
new computer.[Jim

Thomas N. Chan

I would always say, what can the original request can afford.
8gb is good but 16gb is even better. Memory leak, left over chunk of program which its not cleanup by windows, that much of ram will help the virtual files as well. If there's not much writing onto the harddrive, your SSD or your harddrive will be even happier.
If you open so many programs example, some of the older or initial or least program will just be, push down to the virtual swap files.
Those running in the background, will have the similar  SOP.
More ram, is no big deal, so long is within your budget.

harddrive, is good if you can afford bigger ones. For me, I got 256GB SSD back then, but I have upgraded to 1tb 2 years later. But of course, you need to reinstall windows but for me, I just clone over.

The rest, I will not comment. But I do have an external USB 3 soundcard by Creative. I can have multiple input, mic in, aux in and 5.1 output.
But thats an old model already . But 3.5mm jack speaker or sound card is still around.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 at 01:16, Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:
Heck, you could spend an extra thousand dollars just by getting  high end video and processor.

I doubt programs are getting that much bigger.  Since I haven't seen this elsewhere, I'll put it in the interesting category but I'd want a good deal more verification.  And even if they are, I am not convinced that justifies getting more than 8GB for the average user.  You can add this expense and that expense until you are spending one-hundred or two or three hundred dollars more than you have to and derive no meaningful benefit.

Regarding digital drives, they are so fast to start with that even if the larger drives are faster, does that matter?  What are we talking about, perhaps half a second speed difference to load a program?  and can you document that larger digital drives will last longer and that it matters?
Digital drives, from what I've readd will generally last far longer than the computer using them so I remain to be convinced.

Gene

budget allowed to be safe. But the 512 drives have more  write capacity

much about that either.

I’d say  a Core I5 would do it. AMD vs. intel either of these would be fine.

points to consider.

John

enes saribas

John Holcomb II

Do you forsee yourself  doing anything more then  broadcasting?

I’d go with two sound cards  for one  thing.

John

Jim Rawls

Hi all,

want your opinions.

virtual recorder, but  I’m open to suggestions on any  recorder you like.
How much memory etc. would you like?   any of these thoughts are
new computer.[Jim

John Holcomb II

Yeah SSDs really do make a difference in my experience.
But having said that there's no real need for most to get more than 256GB.
Now there's one thing to keep in mind though.
If it’s a laptop, and everything is sottered onto the board, then no upgrades would be possible, in that case if you can future proofing wouldn't be a bad idea.
John

Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 1:05 PM

I meant solid state drives. It is evidently incorrect to refer to them as digital drives.

Gene

Digital drive? I’ve never heard anyone call anything a digital drive before.
What is that.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Monte
Single

Hi List,

Cheers,

Monte

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of enes
saribas

much about that either.

points to consider.

John

enes saribas

John Holcomb II

John

Jim Rawls

Hi all,

want your opinions.

new computer.[Jim

Janet

Hi Everyone,

Thomas says: 8gb is good but 16gb is even better. Memory leak, left over chunk of program which its not cleanup by windows, that much of ram will help the virtual files as well. If there's not much writing onto the harddrive, your SSD or your harddrive will be even happier.

Janet says:

I agree with you one hundred percent! 

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Thomas N. Chan
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 12:55 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

I would always say, what can the original request can afford.

8gb is good but 16gb is even better. Memory leak, left over chunk of program which its not cleanup by windows, that much of ram will help the virtual files as well. If there's not much writing onto the harddrive, your SSD or your harddrive will be even happier.

If you open so many programs example, some of the older or initial or least program will just be, push down to the virtual swap files.

Those running in the background, will have the similar  SOP.

More ram, is no big deal, so long is within your budget.

harddrive, is good if you can afford bigger ones. For me, I got 256GB SSD back then, but I have upgraded to 1tb 2 years later. But of course, you need to reinstall windows but for me, I just clone over.

The rest, I will not comment. But I do have an external USB 3 soundcard by Creative. I can have multiple input, mic in, aux in and 5.1 output.

But thats an old model already . But 3.5mm jack speaker or sound card is still around.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 at 01:16, Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:

Heck, you could spend an extra thousand dollars just by getting  high end video and processor.

I doubt programs are getting that much bigger.  Since I haven't seen this elsewhere, I'll put it in the interesting category but I'd want a good deal more verification.  And even if they are, I am not convinced that justifies getting more than 8GB for the average user.  You can add this expense and that expense until you are spending one-hundred or two or three hundred dollars more than you have to and derive no meaningful benefit.

Regarding digital drives, they are so fast to start with that even if the larger drives are faster, does that matter?  What are we talking about, perhaps half a second speed difference to load a program?  and can you document that larger digital drives will last longer and that it matters?

Gene

budget allowed to be safe. But the 512 drives have more  write capacity

much about that either.

I’d say  a Core I5 would do it. AMD vs. intel either of these would be fine.

points to consider.

John

enes saribas

John Holcomb II

Do you forsee yourself  doing anything more then  broadcasting?

I’d go with two sound cards  for one  thing.

John

Jim Rawls

Hi all,

want your opinions.

virtual recorder, but  I’m open to suggestions on any  recorder you like.
How much memory etc. would you like?   any of these thoughts are
new computer.[Jim

Janet

Hi John,
I have to agree with you when you say SSDS do make a difference, as I have a 519 SSD, and my Laptop boots on within a second! With my desktop with 2 TBS HD it takes at least 3 minutes to boot up!
Janet

Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 1:11 PM

Yeah SSDs really do make a difference in my experience.
But having said that there's no real need for most to get more than 256GB.
Now there's one thing to keep in mind though.
If it’s a laptop, and everything is sottered onto the board, then no upgrades would be possible, in that case if you can future proofing wouldn't be a bad idea.
John

Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 1:05 PM

Gene

Digital drive? I’ve never heard anyone call anything a digital drive before.
What is that.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Monte
Single

Hi List,

Cheers,

Monte

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of enes
saribas

much about that either.

points to consider.

John

enes saribas

John Holcomb II

John

Jim Rawls

Hi all,

want your opinions.

new computer.[Jim