Inaccessible Kindle books

Fanus

Hello list
The past few days I purchased 3 books from the Kindle section of amazon.
None of these is accessible on the pc and when I load the books on my iPad
Mini 5 I get a message "VoiceOver does not support this content". I have
purchased many Kindle books but never encountered this problem. Is there any
way to read or must I just ask for a refund.
Regards
Fanus

Ron Canazzi

Hi Fanus,

I had this happen with a book purchased on Amazon Kindle and I called the Amazon Disability line at 888-283-1678.  They took care of it for me.

You can check out Archives.org and enroll in their print disabled access program. They can find a book that is inaccessible and many times convert it into a form that is readable. If you qualify as print disabled--similar to the NLS program in the USA and the CNIB in Canada, you can gain access to proprietary books that archive.org has access to.

--
Signature:

Billy Inglis

hi guys, Does Amazon UK have such a line?, Billy

[...]

Hello Ron
Unfortunately I live in South Africa, so it is terribly expensive to call numbers in the US. I was hoping that there is an email address where I could communicate with the disability department.
[...]

There is a website: https://archive.org/
Try this e-mail address: jessamyn@vtmas.org
Ask her for an account for Print disabled access to archive.org.

On 10/12/2021 5:07 AM, Fanus wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I shall try.
Regards
Fanus

[...]

Bharat

Hi all Fanus,

I was going through this thread & would also like to know what is the policy of

archive.org

for the print disabled accounts for the blind people from the other countries.

Thank you,

Bharat. India.

On 10/13/21, Fanus <buys.fanus@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Ron
Thanks, I shall try.
Regards
Fanus

[...]

For a nation to admit it has done grevous wrongs and will strive to correct
them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement and to
cling to its past achievements is no virtue!

Marda

Archive.org has all kinds of things including the free librovox collection of books and many other collections made available from different libraries from many countries.  It is not limited to United States.  It also has movies, old time radio, tv shows, videos, internet websites content where the sites themselves no longer exist, artwork and many other things too numerous to list here.  Just go to archive.org and look around.

Marda

On 10/15/2021 10:31 AM, Bharat wrote:
[...]

Hi.  I saw the free stuff on archive.org but couldn't find a link to the print disabled program.  Is there a link on there that I'm missing or do I need to contact them by email or something to sign up for the program?  Thanks.

Marda

On 10/11/2021 4:52 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

Hello Bharet
I am starting to think that Amazon does not test the Kindle books before putting them on the site for sale. I had to return a third one this week. I could read the table of contents but from the beginning of the book itself there is only garbish on the pc or iPad screen. Here and there I can make out a word. This is very annoying and it lets me wonder if it is worthwhile to buy Kindle books. I am waiting to see if the 3 refunds come through and I suppose I shall keep on buying and returning if not accessible until Amazon eventually gets fedup with me and ask me about the problem.
[...]

I have never bought books from Amazon but I have heard that some Kindle books are made accessible and some aren't.  I know some don't have speech enabled.  It seems like they should be able to indicate in the description when you look at the book to buy it whether text to speech is enabled and if there are other accessibility features.  Have you talked about the issue to the amazon disability help desk or whatever they call their disability line?  I've never dealt with them and I know from what I've heard from others that sometimes they are helpful and sometimes they're not.  But it seems to me that they should clearly indicate whether the book is accessible for kindle reading or not.  If they don't then maybe users should try to enter into a dialog with the people who work on accessibiity issues for amazon.

Marda

On 10/16/2021 4:08 AM, Fanus wrote:
[...]

Robin Frost

Hi,

I hope it isn't bad form to jump into this conversation but I ran into a situation where I bought a children's book via Kindle last week and the version I'm using on my PC which is an older one had the download option for this book anyway greyed out I literally couldn't download it.  I could read it on the iPhone which wasn't my first choice. I just found it strange that I literally couldn't download it as I'd been able to in the past.  Admittedly I don't buy a ton from them so has this changed are we no longer allowed to download to PC thus only able to read while pc is online?

Thanks for any light you could shed on this for me.

Take good care.

Robin

On 10/16/2021 5:08 AM, Fanus wrote:
[...]

On 10/13/21, Fanus <buys.fanus@...> wrote:
Hello Ron
Thanks, I shall try.
Regards
Fanus

[...]

I think I mentioned in a previous post that you should call the Amazon Disability line and discuss this with their staff. If they can't help you themselves, they have a product help for disability number they refer you to and you can probably have them check out the books one by one to make sue they are accessible so as to avoid purchasing those that are not accessible.

[...]

Vicki W

I just purchased a book yesterday and it went straight to my older version of Kindle on my PC. I was able to download it just fine. I have a couple of others, though that wouldn't download, so I'm guessing it's the books, not the program.

[...]

heather albright

Yes, you look off amazon accessibility page and one of the links is to contact kindle accessibility. You can shoot them an e-mail Tell them the name of the book, where you got it, the exact software or device your trying to use to read the book. And than tell them in detail the steps you took to access the material. I did this a couple of times and I got a quick response back. One of the kenddall books was not working when I was using the app off my iPhone. Could not figure it out, so I e-mailed both amazon kenddall accessibility and apple accessibility at the same time. It was a kenddall issue but, apple accessibility e-mailed me back to ask me if it was resolved a few days later. I didthis to avoiding   that whole thing, it is an apple issue or it is a amazon issue. It worked woe. Cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows

I think I mentioned in a previous post that you should call the Amazon

Disability line and discuss this with their staff. If they can't help

you themselves, they have a product help for disability number they

refer you to and you can probably have them check out the books one by

one to make sue they are accessible so as to avoid purchasing those that

are not accessible.

On 10/16/2021 5:08 AM, Fanus wrote:

> Hello Bharet

> I am starting to think that Amazon does not test the Kindle books before putting them on the site for sale. I had to return a third one this week. I could read the table of contents but from the beginning of the book itself there is only garbish on the pc or iPad screen. Here and there I can make out a word. This is very annoying and it lets me wonder if it is worthwhile to buy Kindle books. I am waiting to see if the 3 refunds come through and I suppose I shall keep on buying and returning if not accessible until Amazon eventually gets fedup with me and ask me about the problem.

> Regards

> Fanus

hi Ron and list, Does Amazon uk have a disability phone contact?, Billy