Installing thunderbird question

Howard Traxler

I'm installing thunderbird on my most-recent computer; windows 11 using NVDA.
At the end of putting in my stuff, it gives me a blank screen and asks for credentials.  There doesn't seem to be a way out of that screen and it doesn't say what it wants in there.  Any ideas? Thanks.
Howard

--
It's so convenient when you folks sign your messages with your name (or even an alias). Then I don't have to close the message and look through the headings to find the originator.

Gene

this message is long.  It asks a question about your problem and then describes in detail, the advantages of using the portable version.  You may want to use the portable version.

I'm not sure where you see this.  Is this during the actual running of the installer or after the program runs and you are asked if you want to create an account?

Whatever the case, you can skip the entire problem by using Thunderbird Portable, which you don't install.  It is a portable program and the installer, though it is an exe file and asks questions similar to an installer, actually decompresses the program files and places them in the folderyou  choose or in the default folder, as shown during installation.

Once placed on a machine, you never have to do this again when placing the program on a new machine.anywhere again.  Just copy the folder onto any external media or place it on any computer you wish and run the exe file.  And when you want to use the program on another computer, by copying the files from the current state of the program, it will be in that state on the new machine, your accounts active, the address book there, no other work needs to be done.

And you can and should back up the program and make new back ups as it changes over time, as it is updated and you add new address book entries, for example.

Then, if the copy of the program you use becomes corrupted, you can simply delete the folder and copy the backup folder to the location from which you usually run the program.

If you want to try the portable, I'll give more information about where to get it and for your convenience, I'll make available a portable copy I modified to make it more accessible than when first placed on a machine from the original exe file.

I have installed an add-on that allows first letter navigation in the folders tree view and I may have changed the order of the subject header and the from header.  At times, when you use the default version of the program, the subject appears before the from line.  If this needed changing, I did so and the from line now appears first.

Gene

On 7/30/2022 8:58 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I'm installing thunderbird on my most-recent computer; windows 11 using NVDA.
At the end of putting in my stuff, it gives me a blank screen and asks for credentials.  There doesn't seem to be a way out of that screen and it doesn't say what it wants in there.  Any ideas? Thanks.
Howard

Howard Traxler

Thanks Gene, I tried the portable one time and didn't have any luck; so I wnt back to the installed version.  However, I'd be glad to try it again.  I think I have a copy of the portable here; so I'll uninstall this one and start over.

Howard

On 7/30/2022 9:31 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

I'll send you the modified version I spoke of and I think that is what you should try.  Igt has the advantages I spoke of already in the program.  If you use the portable file you have, it will be the default program without the additions, which you will have to make yourself, if you want.

I don't know what problems you had before but if you have problems, ask about them and we will see if we can solve them.

It is possible that there may be a problem with your Windows that won't allow the program to run properly, whether portable or installed.  I consider this unlikely but we may be able to see if the program is running properly if you ask about problems.

Gene

On 7/30/2022 9:31 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

I'm uploading my customized version now.  It may be fifteen or twenty minutes before I send it.  I have good download speeds, but as is common, slow upload speeds.

You don't have to use this copy and I'm not pressuring you to do so by uploading it.  I'm making it available in case you want to use it and for anyone else who does.  It is so little work to upload the program that you need feel no obligation to try this version.

Gene

On 7/30/2022 9:31 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Thanks Gene, I will appreciate having your modified vrersion.  I will follow your instructions the best I can and probably have to ask questions.  I don't remember the old problems.  It was a little while ago and my memory isn't.  This is a new installation of windows 11, so it should work OK.  Trying to set it up to work like my main machine so I can switch 'em.
Howard

On 7/30/2022 9:31 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Marda

Gene, where can someone get this uploaded program?  how long wil it be on the site you're uploading it to?

Marda

On 7/30/2022 9:31 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Here is the zip file.  Unzip it and you can run the ;program by running the exe file.
https://we.tl/t-urOraaMorb

the file will be available for seven days.

Gene

On 7/30/2022 9:31 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

hank you so much.  That is very generous.  Is it the latest version or an earlier version?  It doesn't matter to me if it's not the absolute latest version.  Right now I have version 78.  Are the differences substantial like are commands a lot different and if so is there a help file or keyboard command list or anything?

Marda

On 7/30/2022 9:31 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

It is a much earlier version but it will automatically update a little while after it is run.

Gene

On 7/30/2022 9:31 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Gene, yet again.  I downloaded the zip file and unzipped it into afolder in the root of the new C drive.  That folder has the same name as the zip file.  I ran the only executable in there.  It opened up a privacy statement that seemed a dead end; no way out.  The menu bar was available so I chose tools from the menu bar; then went to account settings where I got totally confused.

Do I ever feel stupid.  From there, I just couldn't find where to put stuff in; and if I'd found it, I wouldn't know what to put in there.  If you feel like continuing to help, we may do well to do it off-list and avoid this clutter.  I sure would appreciate it, in any case.  I sure don't know why I can't get this done.  I've been setting up software for more than 35 years.  I do appreciate your help.

Howard

On 7/30/2022 9:31 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure why you saw a privacy statement but since the menus are available, it evidently doesn't matter.

Instead of the tools menu, open the new submenu in the file menu.  Alt f, then when you hear new spoken, press enter.  If you use alt f, you don't have to move, you will be on new.
Then down arrow to existing account and press enter.
A dialog will open.  If you have problems working with it, ask.

Gene

On 7/30/2022 9:31 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Well, I think it's installed; no, copied.  One more error:  Tried to send myself a message and got the error messwage:
An error occured while sending mail. The mail server responded:
5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first.

Something must be missing.
 Howard

On 7/30/2022 9:31 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

How did you set up your account.  Did you use the automatic option where you enter your information such as your e-mail address and password and then the program tries to automatically set up the account?

Gene

On 7/30/2022 9:31 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

We may be able to find the answer but I asked to know if you had entered all the account information or if the program tried to find your account and create settings.  That's what I do and only make changes if necessary if that fails.  The automatic system appears to be quite reliable.

On 7/30/2022 9:31 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

As I remember, (this time) I let TB grab for all the stuff.  If it needs correcting, do I now go to "account settings" on the tools menu?  Would all this trouble have anything to do with the changes that gMail made in recent months?

<HT>

On 7/30/2022 9:31 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Hi again Gene,
OK, now it's receiving mail but (when trying to send) still giving me the error
An error occured while sending mail. The mail server responded:
5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first.
Imagine it's somethng I have to change in account settings?

<HT>

On 7/30/2022 9:31 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

No.  Thunderbird and other programs that support the GMail changes will set up the account properly automatically.

If there is something wrong when you set up the account automatically, you can manually change settings in account settings.  But before worrying about that, delete the entire account, then recreate it and let the program automatically finish creating the account.  I've done that perhaps four times, had Thunderbird create accounts automatically and I think it did it correctly every time.

If it doesn't, I'll look at the interface and describe where you make the changes.

Gene

On 7/30/2022 9:31 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Pamela Dominguez

Something happened with the portable version.  So, what do I do if I want to get rid of that, and install the regular one instead?  Pam.

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 7/30/2022 9:31 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure what you are asking.  You install Thunderbird as you would install any program.  What specifically do you want to know?

Are you asking where you get it or something about settings to use or something else??

Gene