instead of a bike what about a treadmill

james hooper

So subject line says it all what about a treadmill any thoughts?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jude DaShiell
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2022 4:39 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] exercise bike recommendations needed please

WalMart has a model of exercise bike with a fan on the back. When you pedal the bike you also work the fan. Costs a little over $100 and hasn't got any extra services or accessibility with regard to its information.
To compensate, have a timer running and if possible get a heart rate monitor. speaktomecatalog.com had one of these monitors a few years ago and wear it on your chest and have ear plugs in your ears. Once you set it up if you get over your target heart rate you'll be told to slow down or stop.
I have an old eliptical with perfectly working mechanicals and no electronics working. I do 4 sets of 30 revolutions of the wheel with about 15 second pauses between sets and that's enough for me for a couple days. So far I've been doing that every two days. So you may want to count revolutions as you use the bike and if sighted assistance is available when you know the number of revolutions you pedaled the first time you used the bike they can let you know how far you went in terms of miles. That way you can figure number of revolutions gets you amount of distance and work from there.

Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

.

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022, Ashley Breger via groups.io wrote:

Hello,
I have an exercise bike that sounds similar to what you used to work out on. An additional benefit to mine is that you are able to hook your iPhone or other device to it via EUSB cable to play music while you work out. I?m not sure of the brand but if I recall correctly I got it from Costco. Feel free to contact me off the list for more information at the below email address:
ashbreger@....

Ashley Breger

On Nov 26, 2022, at 4:50 PM, Troy Burnham <troyburnham34@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I joined a workout studio a few years ago that had exercise bikes with different programs, one program was simulating pedaling up and down hills and that's the one I always used but there were likely others. Does anybody know of anything like this for home use?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Troy

Jude DaShiell

treadmills at their bottom price point are more expensive than bikes and
that includes the models without automation. You have to be able to stand
to use a treadmill too.

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022, james hooper wrote:

[...]

Troy Burnham

James,

Since I'm the one who started the exercise thread I'll answer.

I have a treadmill and have had one for several years, but a few months ago I was doing some interval training where you walk faster for a couple of minutes and then slow down again, but one time when I tried to adjust my speed I hit a wrong button and the treadmill sped up faster than I've ever walked and I had to get help slowing it back down. I was just lucky that someone was here to help me because most of the time when I exercise I'm home alone, and after that it took me a couple of months before I was able to get back on the treadmill and even now I still find myself being a little timid and not wanting to walk as fast in case that happens again.

I know in my mind that it was a mistake the first time and that since I'm not doing the interval training anymore that wouldn't happen again, but since it did happen once I'd rather find another way to do cardio exercise hence asking about the exercise bike.

Troy

On 11/26/2022 5:55 PM, james hooper wrote:
[...]

Treadmills without automation are least expensive and safest for doing
interval training for our community.

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022, Troy Burnham wrote:

[...]

I had a treadmill once that had a crank for adjusting the speed, but that was quite a number of years ago and I don't know what brand it was nor if those are even made anymore.

Troy

On 11/26/2022 7:04 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
[...]

Monte Single

Hi Troy,

Yes, I have an old treadmill just a few feet from me.
I brought it off a farmer 9 years ago. He just want some gas money to bring it into town.
He said;
"I used to have a 6 pack, now I have a keg."

It was a real grunt for the two of us to move it from his truck into my suite.
It is a very basic machine; just what I was looking for.

Yes, it has a crank, and I'll say that compared to the rest of the machine, it has a very small crank.
It adjusts the speed whil the mill is running.
Totally retro!!

[...]

James Bentley

A lot of treadmills have a string that is attached to a magnet. This magnet can be stuck to the treadmill. And, you can attach the other end of the string to your wrist. So, in only half a second, you can just jerk your wrist away from the machine if there is a problem which will disconnect the magnet from the treadmill. The treadmill will stop immediately.

James B

[...]

Those are the motorized treadmills and none of this fitness equipment ever
arrives with accessible instructions.

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022, James Bentley wrote:

[...]

The sudden stop could be a problem depending on how fast I'm walking at the time though. Right after what I described happened I tried connecting the string to my shirt via the clip that came with it, and at a very slow speed I pulled it as you suggested and the sudden stop jarred me even at that speed.

Troy

On 11/26/2022 10:04 PM, James Bentley wrote:
[...]

It Doesn't take a manual to tell you how to pull on a string.
And, it is not wise to operate such a large motorized piece of equipment without going through the manual or getting some kind of training.

Normally, one can obtain a .pdf manual or Google around for instructions. But, unless one has previous experience, I would find sighted help for such a powerful and complicated piece of equipment.

James B

[...]

Maybe a manual treadmill or an exercise bike will meet your needs better.

Hopefully, others here will discuss options that will meet your requirements.

Good luck,

James B

[...]

-Mike B

Hi Troy,

I had an experience similar to yours.  After I lost my sight in 1981 from gangrene / medical malpractice it took me a couple of years to put  enough weight back on and build up an enough endurance to do some decent exercising again.  Before this crap had happened I was in excellent shape.  Well, I got a treadmill and had been working out on it for several months at slow to moderate speeds adjusting the speed with a lever that was mounted on one of the siderails.

One day I thought oh what the hell I think I can jog without hanging on to the siderail since I had a pretty good feel for the speed, and yeah I had a good feel right up until I hit the garage side door!  LOL  LOL

Anyways, since I've had a few automated treadmills and I've got to tell you they're a pain in the ass to buy any more.  They're almost all made for commercial use any more and it's a bitch to find one with a walking bed less than 6 feet long.

Here's the crux of my message, mark your controls with some sort of braille dots and memorize your controls and control panel!  What happened to you has happened to many people.  Another thing to remember is you have places to step off the belt and stand on either side of your walking belt, the frame so to speak.  At least I've had a place to stand on either side of the walking belt on every treadmill I've ever owned.

Remember, have a plan for when something like this happens and run it through your mind regularly so it becomes almost second nature and this can cut down on how panicky the situation can make you.

I know some will say, that's easier said than done but, it's also fact, if you practice it.  I'm 65 years old and in really good shape for being a supposed old fart and plan on becoming an even older fart by using the small tips I've pointed out.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Since I'm the one who started the exercise thread I'll answer.

I have a treadmill and have had one for several years, but a few months
ago I was doing some interval training where you walk faster for a
couple of minutes and then slow down again, but one time when I tried to
adjust my speed I hit a wrong button and the treadmill sped up faster
than I've ever walked and I had to get help slowing it back down. I was
just lucky that someone was here to help me because most of the time
when I exercise I'm home alone, and after that it took me a couple of
months before I was able to get back on the treadmill and even now I
still find myself being a little timid and not wanting to walk as fast
in case that happens again.

I know in my mind that it was a mistake the first time and that since
I'm not doing the interval training anymore that wouldn't happen again,
but since it did happen once I'd rather find another way to do cardio
exercise hence asking about the exercise bike.

Troy

On 11/26/2022 5:55 PM, james hooper wrote:
> So subject line says it all what about a treadmill any thoughts?

Gerald Levy

I use a manual treadmill which is safer, cheaper and more reliable than a motorized model.  I can walk briskly or even jog on it without fear of falling off because the belt moves only when I move and stops when I stop.  No motors to burn out.  No complicated programs to futz with.  The dirty little secret about motorized treadmills that nobody likes to talk about is that once the motor dies after the warranty expires,you will be stuck with an expensive coat rack because it will be almost impossible to get it repaired.  And to get rid of it, you will either have to find a bunch of body builders to help you schlep it out of your home or else call 800-GOT-JUNK to haul it away for you.  Good luck.

Gerald

On 11/26/2022 11:08 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:

[...]

Hi Gerald,

I have a $1400.00, electric treadmill that burned out a bit after 2 years.  So, I think I might be interested in a manual model.

May I ask you:

Where you got yours?

How much did it cost?

Can it be folded down flat enough to fit under a bed?  The bottom of my bed is around 10 inches off the floor.

Thanks,

James B

[...]

I have a Phoenix Easy Up manual treadmill which is still going strong after 12 years of daily use.  I devised a tether so that I can jog on it at a pretty good pace while pumping my arms back and forth to get an effective cardio workout.  I replaced the useless monitor on the front crossbar with a small clip-on fan to keep me cool while I pound out the miles.   The belt is starting to show signs of wear but I peridiodically spray the deck with silicone lubricant to keep the belt  moving smoothly.  I paid about $120 for this treadmill  on Amazon in 2010, but it is no longer available.  I am not aware of any manual treadmill that folds flat enough to fit under a bed.  On most models, the deck folds up so that you can move the treadmill into a corner or closet.  I leave mine opened all the time.  Unlike motorized treadmills which typically weigh well over 100 pounds, manual treadmills usually weigh less than 80 pounds and have rollers on the front to make them easier to move around.  I suggest searching on Amazon for manual treadmills to see what's available.  Expect to pay anywhere from $150 to $300, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than a motorized unit.

Gerald

On 11/27/2022 7:50 AM, James Bentley wrote:

[...]

Hi again Troy,

I didn't answer your question about the stationary bike.  The one I currently use is a SchwinnA-15.  It's has built in programming like you were asking about but, it's no longer available.  The one I'm going to replace my A-15 with is the Schwinn A-21 I believe is the model number, if they're still availble.  You can do a search for Schwinn stationary bikes or call your local fitness equipment seller and inquire about them as well.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Since I'm the one who started the exercise thread I'll answer.

I have a treadmill and have had one for several years, but a few months
ago I was doing some interval training where you walk faster for a
couple of minutes and then slow down again, but one time when I tried to
adjust my speed I hit a wrong button and the treadmill sped up faster
than I've ever walked and I had to get help slowing it back down. I was
just lucky that someone was here to help me because most of the time
when I exercise I'm home alone, and after that it took me a couple of
months before I was able to get back on the treadmill and even now I
still find myself being a little timid and not wanting to walk as fast
in case that happens again.

I know in my mind that it was a mistake the first time and that since
I'm not doing the interval training anymore that wouldn't happen again,
but since it did happen once I'd rather find another way to do cardio
exercise hence asking about the exercise bike.

Troy

On 11/26/2022 5:55 PM, james hooper wrote:
> So subject line says it all what about a treadmill any thoughts?

Troy Burnham

Mike,

My controls are marked. I think the problem, at least the day of my incident, is that since the buttons I use to increase the speed are right above each other, and those buttons are right above the buttons that I set the miles per hour with, I'm not sure but I thought I was hitting the slow down button which would slow me down by a tenth of a mile, I think I accidently hit the button below it which sped the belt up to no telling what speed though, probably 7 or 8 mph.

I know that was a one-time thing, especially since I'm afraid to do the interval training anymore after what happened, but that still doesn't keep my mind from going right back to that day whenever I step on the belt. Oh and yes there are sides I could step off on if I need to, but in my panic that day all I could think was how to either get the belt to slow down or stop, gradually I might add, it never occurred to me to step off on the sides.

That day all I could imagine was losing my balance and falling off the treadmill and breaking a wrist, or an arm, etc. That's why I'm now in search of an exercise bike, I feel like one of those would give me about the same workout and I wouldn't have to worry about falling off and hurting myself.

This is probably my opinion only, but I've always felt like an electric treadmill is better than a manual one because my theory is if I'm on a manual treadmill and start getting tired I might slow down unconsciously, but on an electric treadmill I'm not going to slow down unless I consciously reach up and slow it down myself.

Troy

On 11/26/2022 11:53 PM, -Mike B wrote:

> [...]

adjust my speed I hit a wrong button and the treadmill sped up faster
than I've ever walked and I had to get help slowing it back down. I was
just lucky that someone was here to help me because most of the time
when I exercise I'm home alone, and after that it took me a couple of
months before I was able to get back on the treadmill and even now I
still find myself being a little timid and not wanting to walk as fast
in case that happens again.

I know in my mind that it was a mistake the first time and that since
I'm not doing the interval training anymore that wouldn't happen again,
but since it did happen once I'd rather find another way to do cardio
exercise hence asking about the exercise bike.

Troy

On 11/26/2022 5:55 PM, james hooper wrote:
> So subject line says it all what about a treadmill any thoughts?

-Mike B

Hi Troy,

I totally understand especially since I had a similar incident.  After my incident I thought of it the way I used to think when I was racing motocross.  That was forget about it and learn from it, and I think everybody has different ways to deal with this sort of things.  there is no right or wrong way, it's whatever suits the individual.  The important was you didn't quit, you kept your hands on the bars, so to speak.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Since I'm the one who started the exercise thread I'll answer.

I have a treadmill and have had one for several years, but a few months
ago I was doing some interval training where you walk faster for a
couple of minutes and then slow down again, but one time when I tried to
adjust my speed I hit a wrong button and the treadmill sped up faster
than I've ever walked and I had to get help slowing it back down. I was
just lucky that someone was here to help me because most of the time
when I exercise I'm home alone, and after that it took me a couple of
months before I was able to get back on the treadmill and even now I
still find myself being a little timid and not wanting to walk as fast
in case that happens again.

I know in my mind that it was a mistake the first time and that since
I'm not doing the interval training anymore that wouldn't happen again,
but since it did happen once I'd rather find another way to do cardio
exercise hence asking about the exercise bike.

Troy

On 11/26/2022 5:55 PM, james hooper wrote:
> So subject line says it all what about a treadmill any thoughts?

Troy Burnham

Thanks Mike. I looked on Academy sporting goods site yesterday and saw some Schwinn stationary bikes.

It'll depend on the price if I end up getting a bike with all of the programs like I want, I liked the one I used at the workout place a few years ago but I'd imagine that was one of the top of the line models given where I used it. Those will likely be out of my price range, which is yet to be set btw.

Troy

On 11/27/2022 10:34 AM, -Mike B wrote:

Hi again Troy,

I didn't answer your question about the stationary bike.  The one I currently use is a SchwinnA-15.  It's has built in programming like you were asking about but, it's no longer available.  The one I'm going to replace my A-15 with is the Schwinn A-21 I believe is the model number, if they're still availble.  You can do a search for Schwinn stationary bikes or call your local fitness equipment seller and inquire about them as well.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Since I'm the one who started the exercise thread I'll answer.

I have a treadmill and have had one for several years, but a few months
ago I was doing some interval training where you walk faster for a
couple of minutes and then slow down again, but one time when I tried to
adjust my speed I hit a wrong button and the treadmill sped up faster
than I've ever walked and I had to get help slowing it back down. I was
just lucky that someone was here to help me because most of the time
when I exercise I'm home alone, and after that it took me a couple of
months before I was able to get back on the treadmill and even now I
still find myself being a little timid and not wanting to walk as fast
in case that happens again.

I know in my mind that it was a mistake the first time and that since
I'm not doing the interval training anymore that wouldn't happen again,
but since it did happen once I'd rather find another way to do cardio
exercise hence asking about the exercise bike.

Troy

On 11/26/2022 5:55 PM, james hooper wrote:
> So subject line says it all what about a treadmill any thoughts?

Gene

But, from your explanation, you know what you could have done.  That might mean you wouldn't panic again and you would avoid the problem being out of control.  You may find it a better solution in increasing confidence and you may also do more what you want if you do want to use a treadmill to continue using it.

Gene