intermittant problems with dell computer

Howard Traxler

With help from you folks, I got my downstairs computer working pretty good.  But then:

Tried to boot it up last week and it wouldn't start.  It made a beep (through the internal system speaker) and just kept beeping; at about ten second intervals.  I took it onto the bench where I could check it out; and then it stopped even beeping; just whirred its fans.  Let it sit for a couple days and tried it again.  This time it came up in pretty good shape.  Put it back where it will be living and again it started just beeping.  This morning, I decided to give it another chance.  Tried it and it came up fine.  Left it on now and we'll see in a couple minutes when I go back down there.

It seems like it must be an electrical problem.  Anyone have an idea about what I should push on or wiggle to find out where the problem is?  I'm thinking, maybe, to reseat the memory sticks and maybe other connections to the system board?  Does that make sense?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Howard

Gene

It sounds to me as though the power supply is failing.  I am not a tech and I don't know how you test that but I suspect that insufficient voltage is causing the repeated beeps as an error message.

Gene

On 6/27/2022 4:13 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
[...]

Thanks Gene, that sure is something to consider.

Howard

On 6/27/2022 4:36 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

John Holcomb II

If you know the motherboard of your computer, you can do a google search to look up what the different beeps mean.
Every motherboard is different.

John

On 6/27/2022 4:36 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Thinking about it further, if I knew the proper voltages on the various connectors, I could check it out with my volt meter.
Thanks.
Howard

On 6/27/2022 4:36 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Mark Withersea

I agree with what John has written, but may i add,

Each  Model of system has a POST (power on self test) , a series of beeps indicating issues during bootup.

If the machine manages to power on and you can launch a CMD prompt you can use one of the WMIC commands to obtain the details.

Like this on “wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer,version,serialnumber”

Then look up the corresponding error beeps

Regards

Marc

Howard Traxler

Thanks guys, but what I'm saying is:  At the moment, the machine is working almost normally.  At times, it comes up beeping (single beeps) about every ten seconds; not even far enough to post.  Then there are times that all I hear is the fans; no beeping, no post and no boot

The power supply could be an issue or maybe a loose component.  Many years ago, I had a problem like this and it turned out to be a stuck reset button.  But, as far as I know, this machine doesn't have a reset button.

Well, if I never turn it off, it might be OK.

Howard