Topics

introduction, and hey to all new members

Beth

Hello. My name is Beth. I live in Denver, Colorado. I have been an avid tech geek for as long as I can remember. Anyone remember Windows 95? When that thing came out, my dad bought the family our first computer, but JAWS was not so advanced. Laptops were bulky, and remember when the first one was invented? I cannot remember when the first laptop was invented, I think I was born at that time. But I do remember seeing in a blurb online that it had a tape deck, a floppy disc drive, a printer of all things. Imagine carrying that big old clunker around. lol But my tech geek history goes back, about to 95 for Windows and then some. But my real exposure to computers began with Apple and Echo. Remember?
Does anyone remember also some of the games from back then? Space invaders? Oh God, I can barely remember anything else.
Also, I had a whole history with JAWS and work related computing written in my blog. The URL of that blog is in the signature at the bottom. Also, all contacts are at the bottom. So yall are welcome to contact me with any questions.
My current tech consists of the Asus laptop I"m renting, Comcast accessible TV box, which has made me break the bank. Ugh. And I also use a BrailleNote when it is not flat. Ugh. I may have to wait a month to get that fixed unless I can pay with a Visa gift card. Also, I have a $209 cable/internet/phone bill. But Comcast can't get a triple promo going, so yeah I'm stuck paying big bucks for the stuff that people think is a luxury. Well, if yo looked at my building, you would be using tech to secure the door, so I have to in turn secure my apartment. What we do is you walk in the outer door, type in a code given to you by the resident and then the resident picks up his/her phone and then hits 9 and boom, you're in.
That's all the tech I use. I also have an Android phone, which qualifies as high tech as well.
Anyway, before I write the Great American Novel, I will close with a thank you Carlos for inviting me to this group. Yall can contact me on or off the group. Thanks.
Beth

--
Beth Taurasi, Windows 10 edition,
Cell: 720-435-7407

Carlos

Welcome Beth,
And definitely some good tech memories.

[...]

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi Beth,
Just wondering, what's wrong with your BN?
PS. I started with an mpower running 7.5, I will never forget that thing. After that, I got an apex (which I still have) and I'm now on a braille sense u2. Although, I do want something mainstream. But then again, I don't regret note takers, they are the best thing to carry around in school. And they give full privacy, at all times.

[...]

Sent from a Braille Sense

Gerald Levy

Forget Windows 95. I go all the way back to the days of COBOL and IBM mainframes. I used to be a COBOL programmer back in the old days when load modules were stored on punch cards. As a teenager, I remember being dazzled at the IBM pavillion at the 1964 New York World's Fair by demonstrations of the company's brand new System 360 mainframe, which along with its successor, the System 370, would go on to dominate the business computer market for many years. My very first job in the early 1970's involved programming "mini" computers made by the giant Dutch conglomerate, Philips Electronics, which was more well-known for its Norelco electric shavers. This so-called "mini" computer was the size of an upright piano and had a whopping storage capacity of 4K. An optional harddrive was available with a capacity of 32K. It was the size of a small refridgerator and broke down frequently, keeping the company's repair technicians constantly on call to appease irate customers. By the mid-1970's,Philips and its ilk had dropped out of the computer business and left it to the likes of IBMHoneywell, Burroughs and Sperry Univac. We sure have come a long way in 40 years.

Gerald

[...]

Well, the BN charger wire is twisted and broken, and the battery is now flat and unusable. So yeah. I need another charger. So yeah.

On 8/30/2015 4:34 AM, rajmund wrote:
[...]

I have been a fan of computers but I thought Philips was also famous for trying to monopolize what would become the MP3 revolution. For more, read How Music Got Free, a book on music piracy. Different subjects for different threads.

-----Original Message----- From: Carlos
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2015 6:24 AM
To: TechTalk@groups.io

----- Original Message ----- From: "Beth" <thebluesisloose@...>
[...]

oh, charger. I'm on the third one with the apex, and every time it fails, the district literally questions me how come it died, when they just got a new one. Well, if there's something I don't like, is the apex.

[...]

Welcome Gerald,
While I am certainly aware of said technology, LOL I have to say that is definitely a bit before even my time.

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

My husband knows all those way-back programs.

Best from,

Carolyn

Facebook: www.facebook.com/denverqueen0920 Or you can check out
www.denverqueen.com for more information.