is there any way for a totally blind person to read check disc results

joanne

I have run check disc many times as a computer user, but I wish I could find the results. Using Jaws but I also have access to NVDA, and using windows 7. Sighted people probably see results right away when the system boots back into windows, but I'd like to see how the test went and hope there might be a way.

Thanks.

Jude DaShiell

You need to tack something onto the end of your chkdsk commands.
Specifically >chkdsk.txt once that's done, when chkdsk is finished
running, read chkdsk.txt. Not having had a background in pcdos; msdos,
unix, or linux you wouldn't be expected to know what I just wrote.
There's a whole lot more people could do using windows if the windows
training was halfway competent.

Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
defense of liberty:
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

.

On Fri, 2 Dec 2022, joanne wrote:

I have run check disc many times as a computer user, but I wish I could find the results. Using Jaws but I also have access to NVDA, and using windows 7. Sighted people probably see results right away when the system boots back into windows, but I'd like to see how the test went and hope there might be a way.

Thanks.

Gene

Sighted people don't see them either.  This article describes how to see them.
https://4it.com.au/kb/article/how-to-extract-the-check-disk-chkdsk-logs-from-event-viewer-on-windows/

Gene

On 12/2/2022 12:25 PM, joanne wrote:

I have run check disc many times as a computer user, but I wish I could find the results. Using Jaws but I also have access to NVDA, and using windows 7. Sighted people probably see results right away when the system boots back into windows, but I'd like to see how the test went and hope there might be a way.

Thanks.

Gene

If you do that, what directory or in Windows terms folder, will the file be in?

Gene

On 12/2/2022 1:01 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
[...]

Jacob

The same directory from where you run the command unless you specify a path.

any way the same output can be seen by using the JAWS cursor or press JAWS+B.

OZ0TE Jacob

On 2022-12-02 at 20:45 Gene wrote:
[...]

That's the problem.  If you run check disk on a drive containing Windows, you must reboot the machine after issuing the command for it to run.  It runs before the computer fully boots and when it does, you aren't at the DOS prompt with the results.  You are back in Windows and the results aren't shown.

Gene

On 2022-12-02 at 20:45 Gene wrote:
[...]

even if you have to reboot, so long as you redirect the results to a file,
you'll be able to find that file and read your results after reboot.

On 2022-12-02 at 20:45 Gene wrote:
[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,
I am not sue if this would still work, but you used to be able to run something in the command line and after it completed, press alt + space bar for the context menu, press E for edit, press a for select all, then again press alt + space bar followed by e followed by copy (enter key) and the text would be copied to clipboard. Let's see if it still works.
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22000.1219]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\ronc5>

Yep it still works.

--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;

Jude DaShiell

Six different steps just to get readable information.

On 2022-12-02 at 20:45 Gene wrote:
[...]

That's why with windows it has often been useful for me in the past when I
had to use windows to write instruction sets like this in step-wise order
with numbers beside each step so I didn't get the steps done out of order.

On 2022-12-02 at 20:45 Gene wrote:
[...]

To copy something from the command line after text appears on the screen, do the following:

1.  press alt + space bar for the context menu:
2.  press E for edit:
3.  press a for select all:
4.  press alt + space bar to bring up the context menu again:
5.  press  e for the edit menu again:
6. select copy by pressing the enter key.
7.  The text that appears on screen should be copied to clipboard.

Let's see if it still works.
Yep it does.

IS THAT PRECISE ENOUGH  FOR YOU BOOBIE?! HAHAHAHAHAHHEHEHEHEHEHKEHEHAHAHAHAHHEHEHEHE