Is this new Internet annoyance the start of a trend?

Gene

The New York Times recently has begun inserting sections in articles containing text and links to related articles, or articles in the same section that are only related by category, such as that they are all opinion articles.  Here is an example:
This appears in the middle of an opinion article about Biden’s foreign policy:
OPINION DEBATEWill the Democrats face a midterm wipeout?
• EZRA KLEIN writes that “midterms typically raze the governing party” and explores just how tough a road the Democrats have ahead.
• JAMELLE BOUIE wonders whether voters will accept a party “that promises quite a bit but won’t work to make any of it a reality.”
• MAUREEN DOWD writes that Biden has “a very narrow window to do great things” and shouldn’t squander it appeasing Republican opponents.
• THOMAS B. EDSALL explores new research on whether the Democratic Party could find more success focusing on race or on class when trying to build support.

While I read other content online and haven’t seen an increase in this sort of thing, this could be the start of a new trend.  Have others seen an increase?

Ways of eliminating intrusive content such as Edge’s Immersive Reader, don’t detect and remove these long sections.  How do they look different to sighted readers?  Does the difference in appearance give any indication of how these sections might be detected and removed or skipped by screen-readers or features like Immersive Reader??

Gene

Greg Daniel

Gene,

I read READER’S DIGEST for years, but stopped when their articles were essentially thumbnail sketches filled with links.  I wouldn’t mind if such links were posted at the end of articles, but as you point out, that doesn’t seem to be the way of modern journalism; after all, it’s all about catching the eye and attention of the reader immediately; after all, the reader may not read to the end of the article.

Greg

[...]

Gerald Levy

You can avoid all this extraneous garbage by reading newspapers and magazine on NFB Newsline or by downloading magazines like Reader's Digest from BARD and therefore avoid their annoying web sites altogether.

Gerald

On 6/22/2021 9:24 AM, Greg Daniel wrote:

[...]

While I a;ppreciate NFB Newsline and use it off and on, separate is not equal and looking at something like the front page of The New York Times, and I would imagine of all sorts of other publications, is very different from looking at the publication with Newsline.  I can look at The Times front page and see an aggregation of articles from the paper and features not in the print paper.  I can see what articles the Times thinks are the most important because they are on the home page.  In addition, the home page has a few editors’ picks articles that change throughout the day.  Newsline has no equivalent for this very common way of looking at newspapers and magazines.

While I appreciate the contribution of Newsline, making a lot of publications available in a very convenient and portable form, it doesn’t alleviate the need for convenient access to the actual sites.

[...]

John Holcomb II

I’ve seen this in the middle of reader view on other s sites too.

Its not  always opinion but stuff that is related.

I’ve gotten down a rabbit whole because of this lol.

John

[...]

And nor does it have everything .

It doesn’t have Fierce Wireless for example.

And  in articles from that site in reader view, there’s a thing to register for  an event.

Now I have actually tried to use the JAWS dictionary to tell it not to read that but I think the frames or where the content is changes. So the rules aren’t full proof so I turned them off.

[...]

I just gave opinion descriptions and links as an example of what may appear in an opinion article on the site.  I see the same sort of thing in various news articles as well, referring you to other news articles.

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

That happens when I’m on newsline.  I hate that.  But it isn’t new.  Pam.

[...]

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Troy Burnham

Unless I'm misunderstanding what's going on here I've been noticing this for several years.

In case what's being discussed is different from what I've experienced, I can be reading an article online and there are links entered right in the middle of it that may or may not be related to the article's content but usually is.

Another annoyance for me, and this happens both while reading something on the internet using my computer or my iPhone, is twitter links. It seems like there'll be a quote from somebody's twitter feed in the article and that's fine, but then it puts the links to that feed and again repeats the quoted text from above. I don't know why something has to be repeated like that, just the quote should be good enough without having the actual twitter feed there too.

Troy

On 6/22/2021 12:21 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Its not that links aren’t inserted into articles, such as links to related articles.  But this is both nonlink and link text.  It is more difficult to skip because using the skip blocs of links command doesn’t work and features like Immersive Reader doesn’t skip them.  If there are a block of links, programs like Immersive Reader, I believe, generally skips them.  I say I believe because I don’t use such features much, though if they worked on New York Times pages with the combination of text and links, I would.

Other people may find other ways, but the only way I’ve found to move through such sections in general with reasonable efficiency is to use the read by paragraph command and repeat it until the main article text begins again.

There are some sections in which a button is at the end of the intrusion and you can move to the button and the end in that way, but most of the time this isn’t present.

[...]

Debbie April Yuille

It’s not just on websites. Lots of the iPhone news apps including apple news do this too.

Debbie

[...]

The twitter feed is there so people can respond to it in the twitter conversation directly I expect.

And yes this is exactly what w we’re talking about.

John