Topics

Issue with File Explorer

Marie

This happened yesterday on my desktop and two laptops. All are running win 10 version 2004 and Jaws 2020.
I found that on all three machines, File explorer was almost unusable. I could not get it to start with Quick Access and it would not go to that folder, no matter how I tried. It would only see the Frequent folders and only ten folders listed beneath that. It would not even go to “This PC” section. I use File Explorer multiple times every day so I was extremely confused as there seemed to be no reason for this. I thought I had searched the view menu completely but, ...OOPS!
The solution was so simple I feel pretty dumb because I only had to go to the view menu and make sure the Navigation pane was checked. Voila!
There must have been some small update which changed this setting, since there is no way I could have done it even accidently on all three. And by the way, I tried Narrator with same results and it was even worse with NVDA. So I hope this helps anyone else who may encounter this little demon.
Marie.

Gene

Some people, I don't know how many, got an update yesterday.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2020 2:39 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Issue with File Explorer

This happened yesterday on my desktop and two laptops. All are running win 10 version 2004 and Jaws 2020.
I found that on all three machines, File explorer was almost unusable. I could not get it to start with Quick Access and it would not go to that folder, no matter how I tried. It would only see the Frequent folders and only ten folders listed beneath that. It would not even go to “This PC” section. I use File Explorer multiple times every day so I was extremely confused as there seemed to be no reason for this. I thought I had searched the view menu completely but, ...OOPS!
The solution was so simple I feel pretty dumb because I only had to go to the view menu and make sure the Navigation pane was checked. Voila!
There must have been some small update which changed this setting, since there is no way I could have done it even accidently on all three. And by the way, I tried Narrator with same results and it was even worse with NVDA. So I hope this helps anyone else who may encounter this little demon.
Marie.