kitty wireless.

Jim Rawls

Hi all, is anyone using this service for your I Phone? I have Verizon

at the moment, as does my wife. It looks to be cheaper. How does it work with iPhone? I have the iPhone  SE, and the ad says I can get the iPhone 20 for free. Any comments? Jim

Holly

Jim:

Are you in the U.S.?  I just signed up with Consumer Cellular.  I was with Verizon before and my bill was $54 for one phone with 3 gb of data.  Now, with my new service, I am paying $20 a month for the same plan.  They are having a promotion now, so get $5 off every month for the next 20 months, then the price will go to $25 a month.

If you DeLong to AARP or are a member of USAA, you also get a discount.

Marda

I am on consumer cellular.  They have good service and I like that their customer service is all US based.  They did away with my old ten dollar a month plan without telling me in advance which made me mad and I think there are a few cheaper companies but I stick with them because their prices and customer service are still good and when I went to their counter at a target store they turned on voiceover for me with my SE 2020 and were very nice so I appreciated that.

Marda

On 12/1/2021 5:04 PM, Holly wrote:
Jim:

Are you in the U.S.?  I just signed up with Consumer Cellular.  I was with Verizon before and my bill was $54 for one phone with 3 gb of data.  Now, with my new service, I am paying $20 a month for the same plan.  They are having a promotion now, so get $5 off every month for the next 20 months, then the price will go to $25 a month.

If you DeLong to AARP or are a member of USAA, you also get a discount.

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Holly,

I know Consumer Cellular will use different cell provider service towers depending on where you're located.  Do you know what cell provider towers they're using for you?  I'm curious to see if they're using Verizon's towers because I'm curious to see if the service quality is as good.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Are you in the U.S.?  I just signed up with Consumer Cellular.  I was with Verizon before and my bill was $54 for one phone with 3 gb of data.  Now, with my new service, I am paying $20 a month for the same plan.  They are having a promotion now, so get $5 off every month for the next 20 months, then the price will go to $25 a month.

If you DeLong to AARP or are a member of USAA, you also get a discount.

Carolyn Arnold

I believe they used AT&T when I had them. I think my phone service and coverage is better than AT&T, but Consumer Cellular has wonderful Customer Service.

I know Consumer Cellular will use different cell provider service towers depending on where you're located. Do you know what cell provider towers they're using for you? I'm curious to see if they're using Verizon's towers because I'm curious to see if the service quality is as good.

Stay safe & take care. Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say: "Close Enough!"

Are you in the U.S.? I just signed up with Consumer Cellular. I was with Verizon before and my bill was $54 for one phone with 3 gb of data. Now, with my new service, I am paying $20 a month for the same plan. They are having a promotion now, so get $5 off every month for the next 20 months, then the price will go to $25 a month.

If you DeLong to AARP or are a member of USAA, you also get a discount.

andy.tidwell

Hello Marda, I have been wit consumer cellular for 7 years and so far I have had good luck with them.

[...]

Howard Traxler

Marda, what is a SE 2020?  I am also with Consumer Cellular, but I bought their cheapest flip phone for about $35.  I don't think it has any kind of speech access.  I may trade for a smarter phone if I think I can learn to work it.

Howard

On 12/1/2021 5:24 PM, Marda wrote:

[...]

Mike:

I am not sure.  They just say that they use towers of the major cell services.

I will try to find out.

I went with Verizon years ago, cause we had property on a lake in Northern Idaho and Verizon had the best service there, but now, we don’t have that  property anymore and don’t travel much.

Holly

Mike:

Here is what I found out on the Clark Howard website:

1. Network Coverage

Consumer Cellular is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) that partners with two networks to provide coverage: AT&T and T-Mobile.

Customers get access to one of those networks, not both. Consumer Cellular will decide whether AT&T or T-Mobile is best for you based on network coverage where you live.

Want to make sure you get a specific network? Skip the website and pick up a Consumer Cellular SIM card at a Target retail store.”

brian

    The thing that I don't like about Consumer cellular is that all of your data is combined.  It's not seperated like Verizon's data is.  For example on my plan I get 50 gigs permonth of celular data and 30 gigs permonth of mobile hotspot data.  I called Consumer cellular and I was told that their highest plan was only 50 gigs permonth and the hotspot date is not seperate from the cellular data it's one 50 gig permonth.  I prefer to have seperate data for my cellular data and my hotspot data.  My only internet is my hotspot on my phone.  I usb tether my phone to my pc.  Combind data was a deal breaker for mefor me not getting Consumer cellular.  If you are happy with them than thats great for you but for me no thanks.

Brian Sackrider

On 12/1/2021 6:58 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
[...]

Thanks Holly for checking into that for me.  I asked the question because, for example, Spectrum uses Verizon towers for their cell service, but people that have had Verizon and switch to Spectrum don't get the same quality of service even though Spectrum is supposed to be using the Verizon towers.  So, it seems like Verizon provides other cell carriers their tower service, but it's on a lower grade of cell service in some way or another, and if you were getting service from Verizon towers I was going to give you a heads-up about this possible service cutback.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Here is what I found out on the Clark Howard website:

1. Network Coverage

Consumer Cellular is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) that partners with two networks to provide coverage: AT&T and T-Mobile.

Customers get access to one of those networks, not both. Consumer Cellular will decide whether AT&T or T-Mobile is best for you based on network coverage where you live.

Want to make sure you get a specific network? Skip the website and pick up a Consumer Cellular SIM card at a Target retail store.”

Holly

Mike:

Thanks for the heads-up.  You got me thinking, so I decided to do a Google search and see if I could tell which carrier I got.

It goes by the number of the sym card they send you, and so I found the number on my paperwork and see that I am using the AT&T network.

Guess, if you go to a brick and mortar store, you can choose which one you want.

I don’t use my phone for calling very much, but mostly text.  Most of the calls I make are local.

Interesting though.

John Holcomb II

Mike,

Yes. They give their most premium service to their post paid customers at Verizon.

Especially during congestion.

Also look at the fine print of the MVNO’s. there’s a reason they’re cheaper.

John

[...]

Here is a link to the Clark Howard review of Consumer Cellular.

Marda

I have had good service quality with consumer cellular in my area.  I think they use verizon's towers here but am not sure.

Marda

On 12/1/2021 5:33 PM, Mike B. wrote:

Hi Holly,

I know Consumer Cellular will use different cell provider service towers depending on where you're located.  Do you know what cell provider towers they're using for you?  I'm curious to see if they're using Verizon's towers because I'm curious to see if the service quality is as good.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Are you in the U.S.?  I just signed up with Consumer Cellular.  I was with Verizon before and my bill was $54 for one phone with 3 gb of data.  Now, with my new service, I am paying $20 a month for the same plan.  They are having a promotion now, so get $5 off every month for the next 20 months, then the price will go to $25 a month.

If you DeLong to AARP or are a member of USAA, you also get a discount.

Holly

Marta:

Consumer Cellular uses AT&T, or T mobile, not Verizon.

Marda

An SE 2020 is iPhones cheapest model.  I won't kid you.  There's a learning curve involve in learning it.  It has a touch screen.  But there are so many great apps for it that it can really increase independence.  If you want to know about the screen reader it uses which is called voiceover which makes it talk you can do a google search for it and find out things about it.  You can find basic information in the iPhone user guide which is available online.  One good website that can teach you about voiceover and apps is a site run by blind apple users called applevis.  There are many accessible books and tutorials that can help you learn to use an iPhone and there is good support on several lists for blind phone users and blind tech users such as this one.  Feel free to ask further questions.  I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers and i'll be glad to help where I can but I am still a new user and don't know a lot.

Marda

On 12/1/2021 5:58 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
[...]

I have not yet used my iPhone for Internet outside of my house.   I am with consumer cellular.  does this mean when I try to use the internet outside my house that I won't be able to do it?  If it does I may have to switch carriers.  That's no big deal I can do it but I'd like to know.  thanks.

Marda

On 12/1/2021 6:49 PM, brian wrote:

[...]

You shouldn’t have any trouble using your phone away from your house with Consumer Cellular.