Topics

Laptops vs Computer laptops Question Please.

Janet

Hi everyone,
Can someone please explain to me the difference between a Laptop ThinkPad or an IdeaPad or a Vivobook Laptop, as opposed to a computer Laptop? I am doing some searching on line about the Laptop Vivobook I recently bought, as it is showing this is not a new Laptop, and I didn't know that as the salesmen at Best Buy didn't tell me that. So I am seeing sales for computer Laptops and ThinkPad Laptops, IdeaPad Laptops, Vivobook Laptops, but then I see different prices for computer Laptops.

Thank you all for any help in this.

Janet
Janet oppsode

Peace Be With You.

Nimer Jaber

Hello Janet,

All of these are brands. Similar to brands of shampoo. They are all shampoo, but the manufacturer is different, the purpose for which it is made is different, the bottle is shaped differently, etc. Same goes with these laptops. Vivobooks are made by Asus. Thinkpads are made by Lenovo, Inspiron and XPS are made by Dell, and so on. You not only need to look at the type of computer, but also the model, as each few months to a year, manufacturers may release different models within the same class of laptop. Also, the specs between each model will be different. For instance, Thinkpad has many different laptops within that name, some have numpads, some do not, etc. Some are made for business use, some for personal use, some have large touch screens, some do not, some have fingerprint readers, some do not, some have large batteries, some are made for the purpose of being workstation desktop replacements, and so on. Computer laptop is a generic... it's just a laptop. This is akin to calling any tissue a kleenex.

I hope this helps.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

attachments for security threats.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

Fawaz Abdul rahman

Hi these are like model names, think pad and ideapad from Linovo as far as I know and vivobook from Asus.

They are like series, and you can find plenty of models in that series, just as for example, iPad pro 2018, 2020 etc.

Naturally 2020 model will have more updated specs  such as processor or ram etc.

Think pad for example 14inch laptop with intel processer and several models coming either i5 or i7 and all of them U which means low energy consumption.

So all of them laptop just different companies and different models.

You have others similar to these, dell xps, hp specter etc.

To know which one you should pick, first decide for what you are getting the device for, if heavy gaming or video editing etc, these are not so good, but for productivity and portability, these are perfect.

And laptops which are for gaming and more than 14-15 inch will be not so great with portability hence they will be quite heavy.

Good luck.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Can someone please explain to me the difference between a Laptop ThinkPad or an IdeaPad or a Vivobook Laptop, as opposed to a computer Laptop? I am doing some searching on line about the Laptop Vivobook I recently bought, as it is showing this is not a new Laptop, and I didn't know that as the salesmen at Best Buy didn't tell me that.  So I am seeing sales for computer Laptops and ThinkPad Laptops, IdeaPad Laptops, Vivobook Laptops, but then I see different prices for computer Laptops.

Thank you all for any help in this.

Janet

Janet oppsode

Peace Be With You.

Janet

Hi Nimer,

Ok I got it.  thank you for this.  Ok, I will be going to Best Buy tomorrow supposed to pick up my Asus Vivobook Laptop, but as I read more about it on line, and the emails I’ve received from Best Buy, are saying this Asus vivobook is no longer sold as new, so when I went to Best Buy a few days ago to buy something else, I asked the salesmen if the Laptop I bought was new, and he said as far as he knows it is, but as I am now searching on line, I still see this Laptop is no longer sold as new.  The emails I am getting from Best Buy is from Best Buy Outlet. And they are thanking me for shopping at the Outlet, but the Best Buy I go to is not an Outlet though.  I also search online to see what they charged me, but I can’t find that either, and when I was at Best Buy a few days ago, they couldn’t find any balance on my account either, and this makes me feel a little uncomfortable, So having said all this, I don’t know what I just might end up with!  Smile!

  What a mess!  LOL!

[...]

heather albright

I hate working with best buy and their service is much to be desired; I have a friend who is already having issues with them. I know how important it is to see something before one buys it. But, if you can decide on which brand your comfortable with, dell, hp, IBM, lenobo etc. I would try to deal directly with the  company. They all usually are shipping for free these days. Geek squad is not all it is cracked up to be. Most time you have to send back to best buy so they can than ship your item out to a third party if it needs any work. Cheers Heather

[...]

Thank you for this.  I won’t be doing any gaming or video though.  I want a Laptop basically for using email, basic editing,  etc.  So I know what I want, but trying to find it is another thing.  LOL!

Janet

Can someone please explain to me the difference between a Laptop ThinkPad or an IdeaPad or a Vivobook Laptop, as opposed to a computer Laptop? I am doing some searching on line about the Laptop Vivobook I recently bought, as it is showing this is not a new Laptop, and I didn't know that as the salesmen at Best Buy didn't tell me that.  So I am seeing sales for computer Laptops and ThinkPad Laptops, IdeaPad Laptops, Vivobook Laptops, but then I see different prices for computer Laptops.

Thank you all for any help in this.

Janet

Janet oppsode

Peace Be With You.

Juan Gonzalez <jgonzalezh614@...>

A great method of finding the right laptop for you is to go into a computer shop and have some hands on with the laptop. I personally do not like the crammed keyboards so I went in and found one that has great spacing. I also wanted one with a number pad and this one had it. I also would stay with any of the intel core I5  computers or  AMD Ryzen 5 and up for processors. 8 GB Ram and SSD of 250 GB or higher.

Lenovo is my computer manufacture of choice right now but that doesn’t mean there isn’t other good computers in the dell, hp, lineups.

Juan Gonzalez

IT – DAX Analyst/IT Support Technician | Information Technology

Phone: 312 .666.1331 Ext. 3704

www.chicagolighthouse.org

[...]

Hi Heather,

Yeah, this is turning in to a mess with Best Buy, although I usually have pretty good luck with them, but I now know those salesmen really don’t know anything themselves about the products Best Buy sells, in which surprises   me.  I guess I would have to talk to a Geek!  I do like to feel the keys on the Laptop though, and I am just thinking Asus Laptops might have all the same keys on their Laptops, but I’m not for sure though.  Right now, I see on Best Buy’s web site all of the Asus Laptops are now with Intell processors instead of the one I bought which was AMD Risen, so I wonder why the changes now.  I don’t know what I will end up with now!  LOL!  Although I do see all the Laptops are extremely expensive.  I am thinking I will have to cancel this with Best Buy.

[...]

Hi Juan,

I did go in to the Best Buy store, and I felt the keys on the Asus, and I did like that as it also had a NumPad.  I just didn’t know it was what Best Buy calls out of the box, as the salesmen never told me that.  I also seen a HP Laptop I liked, and I also seen a Dell Laptop I liked, but I now don’t know if all those Laptops are out of the box, meaning someone could have brought it back to the store as a trade in after they might have had it for several months or even a year.  Although, as I am searching online, I have noticed the Asus Laptops now have the Intell processor instead of the AMD Risen like the one I bought.  So, I don’t really know what all that means.  Can you tell me what kind of keyboard you have with those keys, as that sounds like something I would like as well, or is it the Lenovo one you currently have? I had a Lenovo a few weeks ago, and the problem I had with the keys on the keyboard, was the keys would stick down in the board when I pressed them.  The keys were to large for my fingers, and they were to many different shapes, meaning some of them were long, some of them were short.

Thank you for all this.

Janet

[...]

I usually always buy hp as I like the lay out of their keyboards. I usually  use a Bluetooth key board with the laptop. It makes it easy for me to type faster for me. I did not like the surface it did not stand up very well like the ipads do with their keyboards. I know most hp laptops have the arrow keys all at the bottom and their usually are spaced right left down and up with know other keys mixed in with them. One of my old laptops had a nompad on the laptop. Now I can do with out if I have my own external keyboard. I use the motifier key with the caps lock as my insert key with jaws and NVDA. If I need to use the laptop key borad. I try to stay away from touch screens or touch bars; they can be annoying. One simple touch and you muted your sound or turned the wireless card off.   Good luck! Cheers Heather

[...]

Monte Single

Hi Janet,

If I were buying a new laptop or desktop,  I would not care if the processor was intel or  a m d, if they were of equal speed and price.

It’s really just a brand.

If it costs a few dollars more, get the one that feels right for your fingers and hands;;  you’ll be felling that keyboard for many hundreds of hours!

[...]

My clumsy fingers,  I should have typed feeling instead of felling.  It’s a keyboard, not a tree!

[...]

Hi Monte,

The only difference between the Intel and the AMD is $100 so far as I can see.  But, like you say, if the keys are right, and I plan on using it for as long as I can, I might as well pay the extra!  Smile!  So, I think I will go to Best Buy tomorrow, and cancel the Asus, and feel the other ones there.  So now, if I do buy a different one, I might have to try and set it up myself, and this means I will have to deal with Narrator once again, as the Geeks are so busy people need to schedule an appointment at least a few days in advance, but who knows, maybe they just might set it up for me, just to get rid of me once in for all!  LOL!  If not, I might have to schedule an appointment just so I can finally get up and running!

[...]

This is good to hear, as when I was at Best Buy last week, I did feel a HP, and I was very close to buying that, and it did feel pretty nice, matter of fact, the HP even had a VD driver, I don’t know if I would really need that though, but I guess it is nice to have one just in case.  So if I end up getting that, and if I need to know where the keys are, can I ask you? How did you set up your Laptop? Did someone do it for you, or did you use Narrator and do it yourself?

Janet

[...]

Well, if you know how to use NVDA, you can always put it on a thumb drive and stick in the laptop and you can set it up using NVDA instead of narrator! And you can take that portable copy and install it on your laptop as a full copy if you want to use NVDA! But narrator will set up windows and it will talk you threw it; just have turn it on. The tricky part is to set up a local account instead of a Microsoft account; they changed it now! Cheers Heather

[...]

Monte,

I didn’t even notice until you just mentioned it.  Smile!

Janet

[...]

Lenron

Open box doesn't mean someone had the laptop for a year. Normally it
means someone got it and returned it. I really really hope you find
what you are looking for. I have a dell refurbished laptop and it runs
great so I have no problem with buying refurbished

www.chicagolighthouse.org<http://www.chicagolighthouse.org>

Can someone please explain to me the difference between a Laptop ThinkPad or
an IdeaPad or a Vivobook Laptop, as opposed to a computer Laptop? I am doing
some searching on line about the Laptop Vivobook I recently bought, as it is
showing this is not a new Laptop, and I didn't know that as the salesmen at
Best Buy didn't tell me that. So I am seeing sales for computer Laptops and
ThinkPad Laptops, IdeaPad Laptops, Vivobook Laptops, but then I see
different prices for computer Laptops.

Thank you all for any help in this.

Janet
Janet oppsode

Peace Be With You.

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

heather albright

Woe, I sent the last message before I got this one! Yes used NVDA to set up my laptop. I do not use cds anymore, I use dropbox to get any programs I needed. I even have a external drive with all the programs on it and I connect it to the device when I am setting it up. There is no need for a cd drive unless you use dvds or cds a lot and have not backed the media up on a external drive.

Cheers Heather

[...]

It is probably cheaper  to buy an external  dvd drive than to have one installed in a laptop or desktop.

With the increased capacity of usb drives  and s d cards,  a dvd drive is pretty  wellobsolete.

The only reason to have a dvd drive is to play old movies and music.

[...]

If there is  100 bucks difference in the price, then it may have a faster processor,  more ram,  or a larger s s d drive.