Large list of Jaws keystrokes

Pablo Morales

Hello all,

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar + J command and I found that there are a long list of keystrokes that I never before heard about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows when we press Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware about, others that I had no idea that Jaws was able to do, and other things that I was no aware that I was able to do as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we don’t know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar + J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

My comment will not answer your question but I keep forgetting about this layered keystroke.

The one command I keep forgetting was the one to tell me what was on the clipboard, but now I can just do insert space followed by c.

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar + J command and I found that there are a long list of keystrokes that I never before heard about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows when we press Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware about, others that I had no idea that Jaws was able to do, and other things that I was no aware that I was able to do as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we don’t know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar + J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Carolyn Arnold

Thanks, Kimsan, that is good to know.

Kimsansong@icloud.com

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar +
J command and I found that there are a long list of
keystrokes that I never before heard about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows
when we press Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware
about, others that I had no idea that Jaws was able to do,
and other things that I was no aware that I was able to do
as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we don't
know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar +
J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Carolyn Arnold

Actually, I tried Insert+Spacebar+C, and VOILA, it worked!

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar +
J command and I found that there are a long list of
keystrokes that I never before heard about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows
when we press Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware
about, others that I had no idea that Jaws was able to do,
and other things that I was no aware that I was able to do
as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we don't
know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar +
J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

That's why I love the layered keystrokes and the search function, as it
accommodates the old age of 41. I cannot remember everything!

Kimsan Song
Kimsansong@icloud.com

Actually, I tried Insert+Spacebar+C, and VOILA, it worked!

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar + J command and I
found that there are a long list of keystrokes that I never before heard
about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows when we press
Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware about, others that
I had no idea that Jaws was able to do, and other things that I was no aware
that I was able to do as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we
don't know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar + J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Carolyn Arnold

Ah ha, 41 - you are only just beginning, LOL!

Actually, I tried Insert+Spacebar+C, and VOILA, it worked!

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar +
J command and I found that there are a long list of
keystrokes that I never before heard about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows
when we press Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware
about, others that I had no idea that Jaws was able to do,
and other things that I was no aware that I was able to do
as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we don't
know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar +
J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Pablo,

Yes, in Jaws Help.  Heere's a list of the Layered Keystrokes.

Layered Keystrokes

Layered keystrokes offer a fast and convenient way to perform various actions or navigate tables. These keystrokes reduce the number of keys that you need
to hold down at once to perform an action. You always begin a layered keystroke by first pressing INSERT+SPACEBAR (CAPS LOCK+SPACEBAR if using the Laptop
layout) followed by one or more keys that make up the command.

General Layer Keystrokes
Press and release INSERT+SPACEBAR, followed by the keystrokes listed below to perform the action.

Description Command
Help for Layered Commands QUESTION MARK
Launch JAWS Commands Search J
Toggle Screen Shade On/Off for Privacy F11
Toggle Full Speech or Speech On Demand S
Toggle Speech On Demand or Mute Speech SHIFT+S
Review Speech History H
Clear Speech History SHIFT+H
Copy Speech History to Clipboard CTRL+H
Launch Research It R
Review Clipboard C
Toggle Audio Ducking On/Off D
Toggle Keyboard Lock On/Off L
Toggle Loading of JAWS Factory Default Settings Z
Toggle Text Analyzer On/Off (available in editable documents) A
Launch Flexible Web Wizard (available in web browsers) X
Repeat Last Notification that was Spoken N
Repeat Last Background Notification from Skype SHIFT+R
Launch the Math Viewer (available in Microsoft Word) EQUALS
Launch the Math Editor SHIFT+EQUALS
Exit Layered Keystroke mode ESC or SPACEBAR or TAB or ENTER

Volume Layer Keystrokes
Press and release INSERT+SPACEBAR, followed by V to activate the Volume layer, and then press the keystrokes listed below to perform the action.

Description Command
Help for Layered Commands QUESTION MARK
Adjust JAWS Volume J
Adjust System Volume S
Adjust Sound Balance B
Select a Sound Card C

After pressing J or S, use the ARROW keys to raise or lower the volume in small increments. Use PAGE UP or PAGE DOWN to raise or lower the volume in larger
increments. Press ESC to exit the layer when finished.

Note: When adjusting volume with the ARROW keys or PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN, the lowest level that can be set is 10 percent.

After pressing B:

Press LEFT ARROW to route JAWS speech to the left and audio from the application that currently has focus to the right.
Press RIGHT ARROW to route JAWS speech to the right and audio from the application that currently has focus to the left.
Press UP ARROW to restore the sound balance to the default.
After pressing C, use UP or DOWN ARROW to cycle through all sound cards available on your system. JAWS announces each sound card as you move to it. Once
you find the sound card you want to use for speech, press ESC.

Braille and Text Viewer Layer Keystrokes
Press and release INSERT+SPACEBAR, followed by B to activate the Braille and Text Viewer layer, and then press the keystrokes listed below to perform the
action.

Description Command
Help for Layered Commands QUESTION MARK
Toggle Braille Viewer On/Off B
Toggle Text Viewer On/Off T
Pan Braille Viewer Right RIGHT ARROW
Pan Braille Viewer Left LEFT ARROW
Braille Viewer Next Line DOWN ARROW
Braille Viewer Prior Line UP ARROW
Pan Text Viewer Right CTRL+RIGHT ARROW
Pan Text Viewer Left CTRL+LEFT ARROW
Exit Layered Keystroke mode ESC or SPACEBAR or TAB or ENTER

Convenient OCR Layer Keystrokes
Press and release INSERT+SPACEBAR, followed by O to activate the Convenient OCR layer, and then press the keystrokes listed below to perform the action.

Description Command
Help for Layered Commands QUESTION MARK
Acquire and Recognize Print Documents from Scanner or Freedom Scientific PEARL Camera A
Recognize Currently Open PDF Document D
Recognize Currently Selected Image File in Windows Explorer F
Recognize Currently Selected Image File in Windows Explorer and Display in Word Document R
Recognize Control C
Recognize Window W
Recognize Entire Screen S
Cancel Recognition in Progress Q
Exit Layered Keystroke mode ESC or SPACEBAR or TAB or ENTER

Picture Smart Layer Keystrokes
Press and release INSERT+SPACEBAR, followed by P to activate the Picture Smart layer, and then press the keystrokes listed below to perform the action.

Description Command
Help for Layered Commands QUESTION MARK
Acquire and Describe an Image from Scanner or Freedom Scientific PEARL Camera A
Describe an Image on the Clipboard B
Describe an Image on the Clipboard Using Additional Services SHIFT+B
Describe Currently selected Image File in Windows Explorer F
Describe Currently selected Image File in Windows Explorer Using Additional Services SHIFT+F
Describe Control C
Describe Control Using Additional Services SHIFT+C
Exit Layered Keystroke mode ESC or SPACEBAR or TAB or ENTER

Tip: An image can also be described by saving it to the "PictureSmart" directory in your User's "Pictures" folder.

Mouse Echo Layer Keystrokes
Press and release INSERT+SPACEBAR, followed by E to activate the Mouse Echo layer, and then press the keystrokes listed below to perform the action.

Description Command
Help for Layered Commands QUESTION MARK
Toggle Mouse Echo On or Off O
Set Mouse Echo to Character C
Set Mouse Echo to Word W
Set Mouse Echo to Line L
Set Mouse Echo to Paragraph P
Exit Layered Keystroke mode ESC or SPACEBAR or TAB or ENTER

Skype Desktop Application Layer Keystrokes
Press and release INSERT+SPACEBAR, followed by Y to activate the Skype Desktop Application layer, and then press the keystrokes listed below to perform
the action.

Description Command
Help for Layered Commands QUESTION MARK
Answer Incoming Call UP ARROW or A
Disconnect Ongoing Call DOWN ARROW or D
Set Focus to Skype Desktop Application S
Exit Layered Keystroke mode ESC or SPACEBAR or TAB or ENTER

Table Layer Keystrokes
When located inside of a table, press and release INSERT+SPACEBAR, followed by T to activate the Table layer, and then press the keystrokes listed below
to perform the action.

Note: The Table Layer remains active until you press a key that does not perform a table command, such as ESC, SPACEBAR, TAB, or ENTER.

Description Command
Help for Layered Commands QUESTION MARK
Move to Cell Above, Below, Left, or Right ARROW Key in any direction
Say Current Cell NUM PAD 5
Jump to First Table Cell CTRL+HOME
Jump to Last Table Cell CTRL+END
Move to Beginning of Current Column CTRL+UP ARROW
Move to Bottom of Current Column CTRL+DOWN ARROW
Move to Beginning of Current Row CTRL+LEFT ARROW or HOME
Move to End of Current Row CTRL+RIGHT ARROW or END
Move to Next Table CTRL+ENTER
Move to Prior Table CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
Read Current Row SHIFT+UP ARROW
Read from Current Cell SHIFT+PAGE UP
Read to Current Cell SHIFT+HOME
Read Current Column SHIFT+NUM PAD 5
Read to Bottom of Column SHIFT+PAGE DOWN
Read from Top of Column SHIFT+END
Exit Layered Keystroke mode ESC or SPACEBAR or TAB or ENTER

Back
 Next

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Friday, December 10, 2021 8:53 AM

Hello all,

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar + J command and I found that there are a long list of keystrokes that I never before heard about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows when we press Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware about, others that I had no idea that Jaws was able to do, and other things that I was no aware that I was able to do as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we don’t know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar + J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

So at the risk of sounding dumb, if I’m listening to music am I able to use one of the layered keystroke under volume? Would it be system?

For the past several years, I’ve been doing sndvol to turn things down.

This was a helpful list that I was to lazy to look up so thank you!

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

Sent: Friday, December 10, 2021 8:53 AM

Hello all,

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar + J command and I found that there are a long list of keystrokes that I never before heard about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows when we press Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware about, others that I had no idea that Jaws was able to do, and other things that I was no aware that I was able to do as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we don’t know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar + J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Yo Dog,

Without trying it myself I would think while listening to music or just listening to Jaws scream at you that you would use the layered keystrokes to raise or lower the volume.  No need to go into, sndvol ,  or there wouldn't be layered keystrokes to do it.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Friday, December 10, 2021 8:53 AM

Hello all,

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar + J command and I found that there are a long list of keystrokes that I never before heard about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows when we press Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware about, others that I had no idea that Jaws was able to do, and other things that I was no aware that I was able to do as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we don’t know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar + J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

I guess what I’m asking is which one would I use to turn down the music?

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

Sent: Friday, December 10, 2021 8:53 AM

Hello all,

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar + J command and I found that there are a long list of keystrokes that I never before heard about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows when we press Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware about, others that I had no idea that Jaws was able to do, and other things that I was no aware that I was able to do as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we don’t know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar + J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Hello,
The key used to turn down volume on a laptop is F2. F3 will turn the volume back up.
Hope this helps,

Ashley Breger

Sent: Friday, December 10, 2021 8:53 AM

Hello all,

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar + J command and I found that there are a long list of keystrokes that I never before heard about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows when we press Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware about, others that I had no idea that Jaws was able to do, and other things that I was no aware that I was able to do as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we don’t know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar + J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Actually, on my newly acquired hp laptop, f2 and f3 dims and brightens the display.

Now that you mention it, I think f7, or f8 will do the volume thing.

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

Sent: Friday, December 10, 2021 8:53 AM

Hello all,

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar + J command and I found that there are a long list of keystrokes that I never before heard about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows when we press Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware about, others that I had no idea that Jaws was able to do, and other things that I was no aware that I was able to do as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we don’t know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar + J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Gene

It’s likely the system setting.

However, pinning volume control to the task bar and using Windows key and a number to open it is faster and only requires one command.  JAWS sometimes does needless things that discourage people from learning the Windows way to do things, perhaps because they don’t know such ways exist and increases unnecessary dependence on the screen-reader.

While I believe there are rare exceptions for screen-readers to duplicate what Windows provides, the system tray dialog is one, in general, I think it is a bad idea.

Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2021 3:16 PM

Sent: Friday, December 10, 2021 8:53 AM

Hello all,

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar + J command and I found that there are a long list of keystrokes that I never before heard about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows when we press Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware about, others that I had no idea that Jaws was able to do, and other things that I was no aware that I was able to do as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we don’t know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar + J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Gene

I wouldn’t assume those are universsal keys.  They probably vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and perhaps from model to model.  And are you talking about f2 when the fn key is on?  f2 and f3 have uses in Windows themselves.

Sent: Friday, December 10, 2021 8:53 AM

Hello all,

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar + J command and I found that there are a long list of keystrokes that I never before heard about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows when we press Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware about, others that I had no idea that Jaws was able to do, and other things that I was no aware that I was able to do as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we don’t know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar + J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

chris judge

Not so with all laptops.

Sent: Friday, December 10, 2021 8:53 AM

Hello all,

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar + J command and I found that there are a long list of keystrokes that I never before heard about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows when we press Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware about, others that I had no idea that Jaws was able to do, and other things that I was no aware that I was able to do as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we don’t know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar + J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Pablo Morales

Hi Mike,

Thank you for sending these keystrokes. However, it is not exactly what I am looking for.

When I use the search for commands feature, we are able to type a keyword on the search field, and Jaws shows a list of commands associated with this keyword.

There a large number of keywords we are able to use. And this is my problem.

I would like to know if there is a way to obtain all the keystrokes that the search for commands feature is able to show. The list of commands you sent is great. However, it is a fraction of the commands. If you use keywords like table, mouse, help, invisible cursor , and a very long etc. You will see that for each keyword appears a list of commands. I am trying to avoid the fishing process, because not knowing what to look, or what is jaws able to do or not. The list of keywords could be infinite.

Thanks in advance,

Pablo

Sent: Friday, December 10, 2021 8:53 AM

Hello all,

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar + J command and I found that there are a long list of keystrokes that I never before heard about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows when we press Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware about, others that I had no idea that Jaws was able to do, and other things that I was no aware that I was able to do as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we don’t know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar + J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Gene

As for layered commands used in tables, I don't think there are any.  It appears that JAWS key space followed by t followed by question mark lists the commands used for table navigation that are not layered commands.  In other words, this appears to be a help feature to have table navigation commands announced, not a way to use layered commands in tables.

Gene

On 12/12/2021 5:56 AM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

See this message from a JAWS list.

https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/topic/summary_of_jaws_layered/27783942

Sent: Friday, December 10, 2021 8:53 AM

Hello all,

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar + J command and I found that there are a long list of keystrokes that I never before heard about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows when we press Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware about, others that I had no idea that Jaws was able to do, and other things that I was no aware that I was able to do as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we don’t know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar + J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Gene

I'll change what I said. You can use the commands you hear when you use the question mark command while in table layer.  Once you are in table layer, you don't have to use insert space before issuing a table command.  You can issue as many as you want.  But, after looking a little using an old JAWS version I have, it looks to me as though the table layer commands duplicate the control alt table commands. Those who currently use JAWS and/or are familiar with both sets of commands may wish to comment, but that's how things look to me.

Gene

Sent: Friday, December 10, 2021 8:53 AM

Hello all,

I was looking for a keystroke using the Insert + Space bar + J command and I found that there are a long list of keystrokes that I never before heard about.

Is there a way to obtain all the keystrokes that Jaws shows when we press Insert + space bar + J?

The problem is that there are things that I was not aware about, others that I had no idea that Jaws was able to do, and other things that I was no aware that I was able to do as a computer user. Could be difficult to type what we don’t know on the search field when we press Insert + space bar + J.

Thanks for all,

Pablo

Pablo Morales

Thanks Gene,

However, the jaws layer commands are a tiny part of the whole jaws keystrokes. As I mentioned on my previous email. Search on the search for commands feature for keywords. You will find a list of keystrokes for different keywords. For example Table. On the search for commands feature appear a long list of jaws commands for the table layer and many others not related with the table layer.

However, thank you for the link,

Pablo