Topics

learning zoom

heather albright

Hello, I know how to use zoom  off my i-devices but, I am going to be taking a class that requires me to use zoom off my computer. So is there anyone who can show me how to use zoom off the pc? Do I need to download zoom as an app threw the windows store; is it better to use jaws or NVDA; I want to use the brave browser like I have been using. Do I need a camera I currently do not have a camera access off my pc. I have a headset wired or Bluetooth.

Thanks Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi,
I have to use zoom for my classes. However, they use canvas which has a phone app. I do zoom on my phone and also login with my computer so that I have access to the chat with it--I just feel I have more control over things with them separate. I just talked with my teachers before hand so they knew what I was doing to let me in during class times with both names.

Melissa

On Apr 3, 2021, at 10:54 AM, heather albright <kd5cbl@...> wrote:

Hello, I know how to use zoom  off my i-devices but, I am going to be taking a class that requires me to use zoom off my computer. So is there anyone who can show me how to use zoom off the pc? Do I need to download zoom as an app threw the windows store; is it better to use jaws or NVDA; I want to use the brave browser like I have been using. Do I need a camera I currently do not have a camera access off my pc. I have a headset wired or Bluetooth.

Thanks Heather

Gene

it doesn't matter wich browser you use. If all you want to do is participate and not host meetings, you don't need an account. You don't need to know much. You would download and install the Zoom application and you can do so directly from the Zoom site. It is an application, not an app. I don't know if there is a Windows 10 app but my impression is that those who use computers use the zoom application.

Once the app is installed, you can enter a meeting by using the link provided in the invitation message. You could launch Zoom by itself and put in the information but if the link is properly formed, just following the link will provide Zoom with all the information needed.

Once you download and install the app, people can send you common short cuts you may well want to use. I won't do so in this message.

I'm not sure which country you are in. it appears to me that there are different Zoom pages for different countries. I don't know if it matters for downloading an English version of the program, but I won't provide a link now.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 10:54 AM
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] learning zoom

Hello, I know how to use zoom off my i-devices but, I am going to be taking a class that requires me to use zoom off my computer. So is there anyone who can show me how to use zoom off the pc? Do I need to download zoom as an app threw the windows store; is it better to use jaws or NVDA; I want to use the brave browser like I have been using. Do I need a camera I currently do not have a camera access off my pc. I have a headset wired or Bluetooth.

Thanks Heather

Gene

You don't need a camera. I don't know if you will get any message about not having one but if you do you can respond and just use audio. When I enter a Zoom meeting, there is a specific choice to use audio. Video isn't started at that time.

Gene

Hello, I know how to use zoom off my i-devices but, I am going to be taking a class that requires me to use zoom off my computer. So is there anyone who can show me how to use zoom off the pc? Do I need to download zoom as an app threw the windows store; is it better to use jaws or NVDA; I want to use the brave browser like I have been using. Do I need a camera I currently do not have a camera access off my pc. I have a headset wired or Bluetooth.

Thanks Heather

heather albright

Okay, they send me the link for the class meeting and it opens in brave but, I never downloaded the zoom utility, so is it using the zoom from the breave browser? I have both jaws 21 and NVDA latest, wich is best to use in zoom? Thanks Heather

Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 11:13 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] learning zoom

You don't need a camera.  I don't know if you will get any message about not

having one but if you do you can respond and just use audio.  When I enter a

Zoom meeting, there is a specific choice to use audio.  Video isn't started

at that time.

Gene

Hello, I know how to use zoom  off my i-devices but, I am going to be taking

a class that requires me to use zoom off my computer. So is there anyone who

can show me how to use zoom off the pc? Do I need to download zoom as an app

threw the windows store; is it better to use jaws or NVDA; I want to use the

brave browser like I have been using. Do I need a camera I currently do not

have a camera access off my pc. I have a headset wired or Bluetooth.

Thanks Heather

John Holcomb II

Yeah its a it’s a program so no matter which version of Windows you use it'll just work.
Zoom is very consumer friendly and easy which is why its popularity has exploded.
John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 12:12 PM

it doesn't matter wich browser you use. If all you want to do is participate and not host meetings, you don't need an account. You don't need to know much. You would download and install the Zoom application and you can do so directly from the Zoom site. It is an application, not an app. I don't know if there is a Windows 10 app but my impression is that those who use computers use the zoom application.

Once the app is installed, you can enter a meeting by using the link provided in the invitation message. You could launch Zoom by itself and put in the information but if the link is properly formed, just following the link will provide Zoom with all the information needed.

Once you download and install the app, people can send you common short cuts you may well want to use. I won't do so in this message.

I'm not sure which country you are in. it appears to me that there are different Zoom pages for different countries. I don't know if it matters for downloading an English version of the program, but I won't provide a link now.

Gene

Hello, I know how to use zoom off my i-devices but, I am going to be taking

Thanks Heather

John Holcomb II

No, when you open it you’ll need to download zoom first before you can get into your class.

John

Gene

Any browser you use opens the Zoom Application which must be installed. There is no Zoom in the Brave Browser.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 11:29 AM

Okay, they send me the link for the class meeting and it opens in brave but, I never downloaded the zoom utility, so is it using the zoom from the breave browser? I have both jaws 21 and NVDA latest, wich is best to use in zoom? Thanks Heather

You don't need a camera. I don't know if you will get any message about not

having one but if you do you can respond and just use audio. When I enter a

Zoom meeting, there is a specific choice to use audio. Video isn't started

at that time.

Gene

Thanks Heather

heather albright

Okay, is it the zoom rooms app from the Microsoft store? They had like three different zoom apps. Thanks  Heather

Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 11:40 AM

No, when you open it you’ll need to download zoom first before you can get into your class.

John

chris judge

Hi Heather.

Since you’ve been using zoom off your iPhone I’m assuming you already have an account?

Go to the zoom web site:

www.zoom.us

Sign in with your email and password. You’ll next want to download the zoom meetings client and install it. You should then be able to follow a zoom link in an email to join a meeting. It’s a good idea to go through your audio settings to make sure it’s set to automatically connect to audio when you join the meeting. You won’t need a camera unless you want meeting participants to see you.

Jaws has better support for zoom than NVDA does if using jaws 2020 or 2021, There is also a training webinar on the freedom scientific web site that should give you all you need. Link is below.

using zoom with jaws

I hope this helps. Please feel to reach out should you have other questions.

Cheers.

Chris.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of heather albright
Sent: April 3, 2021 12:54 PM

Thanks Heather

I never really got the hang of the program… So I always choose launch from browser. It will ask me for permission to turn on microphone or camera, but I tell it no. I only use it for the chat in the first place since camera and microphone go through my phone using zoom.

Melissa

On Apr 3, 2021, at 11:29 AM, heather albright <kd5cbl@...> wrote:

You don't need a camera.  I don't know if you will get any message about not

having one but if you do you can respond and just use audio.  When I enter a

Zoom meeting, there is a specific choice to use audio.  Video isn't started

at that time.

Gene

Thanks Heather

heather albright

Oh, thank you for the info! I will follow the sugestions. I have been using the zoom app off the iPhone and I did not have a zoom account. But, I will create one today. Cheers Heather

Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 12:48 PM

Hi Heather.

Since you’ve been using zoom off your iPhone I’m assuming you already have an account?

Go to the zoom web site:

www.zoom.us

Sign in with your email and password. You’ll next want to download the zoom meetings client and install it. You should then be able to follow a zoom link in an email to join a meeting. It’s a good idea to go through your audio settings to make sure it’s set to automatically connect to audio when you join the meeting. You won’t need a camera unless you want meeting participants to see you.

Jaws has better support for zoom than NVDA does if using jaws 2020 or 2021, There is also a training webinar on the freedom scientific web site that should give you all you need. Link is below.

using zoom with jaws

Cheers.

Chris.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of heather albright

Thanks Heather

chris judge

If you have any questions at all please don’t hesitate to ask.

One thing about settings on the zoom client for windows. When you are arrowing down through the options, you have to press enter to choose that option before tabbing in to it. I don’t think jaws tells you that and it can be a bit disconcerting. For instance, if you want to change audio settings, when you are arrowing down, press enter on audio, then tab in. You will probably have to choose what speakers and mic you are using here, especially if you are not planning to use the default sound source. Your best bet is a USB headset, wireless or otherwise. I have not used Bluetooth.

One more thing, I’m not sure if you are planning to do any hosting, but if you are I strongly suggest you purchase the professional jaws scripts for zoom. They were written by Brian Hartgen in the UK and they are always kept up to date. The scripts are a must if you want to have control over the participants list, waiting room, etc.

If you are interested let me know and I will send you the link. I can also send you the documentation for the scripts so you can read about all the advantages of using them.

Good luck and please reach out if you require assistance.

Cheers.

Chris Judge

Sent: April 4, 2021 3:46 PM

Oh, thank you for the info! I will follow the sugestions. I have been using the zoom app off the iPhone and I did not have a zoom account. But, I will create one today. Cheers Heather

Hi Heather.

Go to the zoom web site:

www.zoom.us

using zoom with jaws

Cheers.

Chris.

Thanks Heather

Gene

If you are using Zoom without an account now, if you are going to use it in the same way on a computer, you don't need an account. You don't need one to participate in a meeting or to download the application.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2021 1:46 PM

Hi Heather.

Go to the zoom web site:

www.zoom.us

using zoom with jaws

Cheers.

Chris.

Thanks Heather

chris judge

No but there is no cost to create an account and there are some benefits. Retaining a meeting history is one such benefit. This means if you are attending a class, or other sinarios where you will be joining the same room more than once, you can do it through history instead of following the link in an email.

Chris Judge

Sent: April 4, 2021 4:14 PM

If you are using Zoom without an account now, if you are going to use it in the same way on a computer, you don't need an account. You don't need one to participate in a meeting or to download the application.

Gene

Oh, thank you for the info! I will follow the sugestions. I have been using
the zoom app off the iPhone and I did not have a zoom account. But, I will
create one today. Cheers Heather

Hi Heather.

Since you’ve been using zoom off your iPhone I’m assuming you already have
an account?

Go to the zoom web site:

www.zoom.us

Sign in with your email and password. You’ll next want to download the zoom
meetings client and install it. You should then be able to follow a zoom
link in an email to join a meeting. It’s a good idea to go through your
audio settings to make sure it’s set to automatically connect to audio when
you join the meeting. You won’t need a camera unless you want meeting
participants to see you.

Jaws has better support for zoom than NVDA does if using jaws 2020 or 2021,
There is also a training webinar on the freedom scientific web site that
should give you all you need. Link is below.

using zoom with jaws

Cheers.

Chris.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of heather
albright

Thanks Heather

Gene

I don't know if the history differs with an account. I have one without an account. I still have to enter the password but I can use the history to enter a room.

I don't have a ;particular opinion about whether an account is created, I'm saying that if the user wants to keep things more simple, for many people it isn't necessary.

I also think it should be mentioned here that after the client is installed, you should go to the test meeting page. I don't know if the link differs in different parts of the world but you can go here using the browser you want and launch a test meeting in The United States.
https://zoom.us/test

There is a join button on the page to start a test meeting, with you the only member. You can look around and play with the Zoom interface while the meeting is in progress and after the application is installed, people can tell you short cuts you might be interested in such as muting and unnmuting yourself, moving to the chat area, moving to the attendees list, and others.

You can test your received audio and your microphone. If you have trouble working with the page, ask about how to use it here.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2021 2:16 PM

No but there is no cost to create an account and there are some benefits. Retaining a meeting history is one such benefit. This means if you are attending a class, or other sinarios where you will be joining the same room more than once, you can do it through history instead of following the link in an email.

Chris Judge

Gene

Hi Heather.

an account?

Go to the zoom web site:

www.zoom.us

participants to see you.

using zoom with jaws

Cheers.

Chris.

albright

Thanks Heather

heather albright

Hello, I got a notice off the zoom site that this could harm my pc, so is there a site that does not have this issue? So I went to ninite.com, it gave me the same message from my windows security. So is it better to get the app from the Microsoft store? I had a friend who downloaded type of program and it came with a trojan.   I did not want that to happen to me. Thanks Heather    

Sent: Sunday, April 4, 2021 2:28 PM

I don't know if the history differs with an account.  I have  one without an

account.  I still have to enter the password but I can use the history to

enter a room.

I don't have a ;particular opinion about whether an account is created, I'm

saying that if the user wants to keep things more simple, for many people it

isn't necessary.

I also think it should be mentioned here that after the client is installed,

you should go to the test meeting page.  I don't know if the link differs in

different parts of the world but you can go here using the browser you want

and launch a test meeting in The United States.

There is a join button on the page to start a  test meeting, with you the

only member.  You can look around and play with the Zoom interface while the

meeting is in progress and after the application is installed, people can

tell you short cuts you might be interested in such as muting and unnmuting

yourself, moving to the chat area, moving to the attendees list, and others.

You can test your received audio and your microphone.  If you have trouble

working with the page, ask about how to use it here.

Gene

No but there is no cost to create an account and there are some benefits.

Retaining a meeting history is one such benefit. This means if you are

attending a class, or other sinarios where you will be joining the same room

more than once, you can do it through history instead of following the link

in an email.

Chris Judge

If you are using Zoom without an account now, if you are going to use it in

the same way on a computer, you don't need an account.  You don't need one

to participate in a meeting or to download the application.

Gene

Hi Heather.

an account?

Go to the zoom web site:

www.zoom.us

participants to see you.

using zoom with jaws

Cheers.

Chris.

albright

Thanks Heather

Gene

I don't know what browser you are using nor what gave you the notice. If you are on the actual site, the problem itself needs to be solved. If it isn't, you may have problem after problem downloading legitimate files. As far as I know, the Microsoft store can't be used. This is not an app, it is an application.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2021 2:53 PM

Hello, I got a notice off the zoom site that this could harm my pc, so is there a site that does not have this issue? So I went to ninite.com, it gave me the same message from my windows security. So is it better to get the app from the Microsoft store? I had a friend who downloaded type of program and it came with a trojan. I did not want that to happen to me. Thanks Heather

I don't know if the history differs with an account. I have one without an

account. I still have to enter the password but I can use the history to

enter a room.

isn't necessary.

you should go to the test meeting page. I don't know if the link differs in

There is a join button on the page to start a test meeting, with you the

only member. You can look around and play with the Zoom interface while the

You can test your received audio and your microphone. If you have trouble

Gene

in an email.

Chris Judge

the same way on a computer, you don't need an account. You don't need one

Gene

Hi Heather.

an account?

Go to the zoom web site:

www.zoom.us

participants to see you.

using zoom with jaws

Cheers.

Chris.

albright

Thanks Heather

heather albright

Ah, I did not download zoom but, I went to that link to test the zoom set up and used my usb headset and it worked, thanks for this info. So not sure where the zoom app is located but, it came on just find. I did a windows search and it, the zoom, was not located off my pc, is it an add on to brave? So I wanted to save the location if I need to get to a zoom room quickly. Thank you for helping me with all this, I never thought I would have to use zoom off my pc as I  was perfectly happy to use it off my phone. But the class said they wanted me to use zoom off the pc. Thanks Heather  

Sent: Sunday, April 4, 2021 2:53 PM

Hello, I got a notice off the zoom site that this could harm my pc, so is there a site that does not have this issue? So I went to ninite.com, it gave me the same message from my windows security. So is it better to get the app from the Microsoft store? I had a friend who downloaded type of program and it came with a trojan.   I did not want that to happen to me. Thanks Heather    

I don't know if the history differs with an account.  I have  one without an

account.  I still have to enter the password but I can use the history to

enter a room.

isn't necessary.

you should go to the test meeting page.  I don't know if the link differs in

There is a join button on the page to start a  test meeting, with you the

only member.  You can look around and play with the Zoom interface while the

You can test your received audio and your microphone.  If you have trouble

Gene

in an email.

Chris Judge

the same way on a computer, you don't need an account.  You don't need one

Gene

Hi Heather.

an account?

Go to the zoom web site:

www.zoom.us

participants to see you.

using zoom with jaws

Cheers.

Chris.

albright

Thanks Heather

Gene

If you didn't download and install it, you don't have the application. What limitations you may have without the application, I don't know. I have no idea what you see when you move around when in a meeting, if you see things like the chat area, the members lists, and commands such as a mute/unmute button. I don't know if you can use Zoom without the application downloaded with any browsers. From what you say, it appears that you may be able to but I don't know anything about possibly using Zoom from within a browser.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2021 3:07 PM

Ah, I did not download zoom but, I went to that link to test the zoom set up and used my usb headset and it worked, thanks for this info. So not sure where the zoom app is located but, it came on just find. I did a windows search and it, the zoom, was not located off my pc, is it an add on to brave? So I wanted to save the location if I need to get to a zoom room quickly. Thank you for helping me with all this, I never thought I would have to use zoom off my pc as I was perfectly happy to use it off my phone. But the class said they wanted me to use zoom off the pc. Thanks Heather

Sent: Sunday, April 4, 2021 2:53 PM

Hello, I got a notice off the zoom site that this could harm my pc, so is there a site that does not have this issue? So I went to ninite.com, it gave me the same message from my windows security. So is it better to get the app from the Microsoft store? I had a friend who downloaded type of program and it came with a trojan. I did not want that to happen to me. Thanks Heather

I don't know if the history differs with an account. I have one without an

account. I still have to enter the password but I can use the history to

enter a room.

isn't necessary.

you should go to the test meeting page. I don't know if the link differs in

There is a join button on the page to start a test meeting, with you the

only member. You can look around and play with the Zoom interface while the

You can test your received audio and your microphone. If you have trouble

Gene

in an email.

Chris Judge

the same way on a computer, you don't need an account. You don't need one

Gene

Hi Heather.

an account?

Go to the zoom web site:

www.zoom.us

participants to see you.

using zoom with jaws

Cheers.

Chris.

albright

Thanks Heather