Linux? OK, am Curious

Dave

Hello,

Up until now, I've ignored Linux mostly because I already had gotten a
good understanding of MS Windows and several Windows Applications, and
the thought of re-learning another OS and those applications I would
need was something I didn't want to deal with.

but, now, after reading the small article sent to me by someone
concerning Linux, I am now curious.  And I happen to have an older
Machine that would have enough Memory and CPU speed to handle most
anything Linux would need.

So, my question is, is there a version of Linux that would be better for
someone totally blind?  Meaning is there a Linux Screen Reader that
works well, or at least well enough to navigate around?

And if there is someone on this list already using Linux, perhaps there
are questions I need to know that I should ask and find answers before I
find myself in a Rats Nest of problems that I might have avoided if I
only would have known.

Thanks for any advice,

Grumpy Dave

Marda

There is a linux screen reader called orca that I know some people use.  they say things are pretty accessible much more so than they used to be.  You might want to try to find a linux user forum of some kind or message board or email list especially if there is one for blind users and see what works for people there or just address your question in a general linuxx forum and you might find developers who are working on accessible software in that system.  The only screenreader I know anything about and that isnt much is the orca one.  You could do a search for orca features and instructions or orca documentation or something like that and might find something.  Alternatively you could search google groups and groups.io and freelists and others and see if there are linux lists there.

Marda