Topics

Listing the contents of a CD or DVD

Howard Traxler

When I insert a disk into the CD/DVD drive, Windows 10 either runs an associated program or (if one exists on the disk) starts the install program.  I'd just like to open and read what's in the directory.  Is there a setting to change to make that happen.

Thanks, anyone.

Howard

Gene

There very likely is. But until you find one, see if holding the left shift down when you close the door and for ;perhaps twenty seconds stops this behavior. It used to but I haven't tried it in newer versions of Windows.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 4:38 PM
To: TechTalk
Subject: [TechTalk] Listing the contents of a CD or DVD

When I insert a disk into the CD/DVD drive, Windows 10 either runs an
associated program or (if one exists on the disk) starts the install
program. I'd just like to open and read what's in the directory. Is
there a setting to change to make that happen.

Thanks, anyone.

Howard

Smiling?

Shift key, simply pressing and holding as was already mentioned.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 14:38
To: TechTalk <main@TechTalk.groups.io>

When I insert a disk into the CD/DVD drive, Windows 10 either runs an associated program or (if one exists on the disk) starts the install program. I'd just like to open and read what's in the directory. Is there a setting to change to make that happen.

Thanks, anyone.

Howard

Norma A. Boge

Howard, I think you are looking for a way to disable autorun. If so, please refer to the following:

Press the Windows key or click the Windows icon in the lower-left corner of your desktop.
Type in autoplay and click on the AutoPlay Settings option.
From this screen, toggle AutoPlay For All Media And Devices to Off. Also switch AutoPlay defaults for removable drives and memory cards to Take No Action.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Smiling?
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2020 1:53 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Listing the contents of a CD or DVD

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler

When I insert a disk into the CD/DVD drive, Windows 10 either runs an associated program or (if one exists on the disk) starts the install program. I'd just like to open and read what's in the directory. Is there a setting to change to make that happen.

Thanks, anyone.

Howard

Mike B

To keep the CD / DVD from trying to start when you insert a disk, hold down the left shift key for around 20 seconds when closing the tray door.  The right shift key might work as well, but I've only use the left shift key.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2020 9:09 AM

Howard, I think you are looking for a way to disable autorun. If so, please refer to the following:

Press the Windows key or click the Windows icon in the lower-left corner of your desktop.
From this screen, toggle AutoPlay For All Media And Devices to Off. Also switch AutoPlay defaults for removable drives and memory cards to Take No Action.

When I insert a disk into the CD/DVD drive, Windows 10 either runs an associated program or (if one exists on the disk) starts the install program.  I'd just like to open and read what's in the directory.  Is there a setting to change to make that happen.

Thanks, anyone.

Howard

What version of Windows is in use here?    I agree that Autoplay is involved.

If you are using Windows 10, go to Settings, Devices, Autoplay and if Autoplay is on, take a look at what the default action is for Removable Drives.  You'll probably want to reset it to either ask me every time or to open folder to view files (File Explorer).

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com

Howard Traxler

Thanks Norma,
That one seemed to work; although when I went to the CD drive in the file explorer and entered on it, the startup on the disk did run. Closing it, then pressing context key on the disk and choosing open, I got a look at the directory.  I think I'm getting there.

Thank you.
Howard

On 8/28/2020 11:09 AM, Norma A. Boge wrote:

Thanks, anyone.

Howard

Howard Traxler

Thanks Brian, I think I got it now, thanks to Norma.  And to others, holding the shift key didn't work.

Thanks to all who helped.
Howard

On 8/28/2020 12:30 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

If you are using Windows 10, go to Settings, Devices, Autoplay and if Autoplay is on, take a look at what the default action is for Removable Drives.  You'll probably want to reset it to either ask me every time or to open folder to view files (File Explorer).

--

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

Gene

In later versions of Windows, they may have removed the shift key feature. I see no reason for that change but it may have been done.

Gene

Sent: Friday, August 28, 2020 2:15 PM

Thanks Brian, I think I got it now, thanks to Norma. And to others, holding the shift key didn't work.

Howard

What version of Windows is in use here? I agree that Autoplay is involved.

If you are using Windows 10, go to Settings, Devices, Autoplay and if Autoplay is on, take a look at what the default action is for Removable Drives. You'll probably want to reset it to either ask me every time or to open folder to view files (File Explorer).

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

Mike B

Running Windows 10 2004 (OS Build 19041.450), after inserting the disk into the drive, holding the Shift key then closing the tray kept the drive from starting and I could then read the disk contents in File Explorer.  This also still works in Windows 7.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2020 12:15 PM

Thanks Brian, I think I got it now, thanks to Norma.  And to others, holding the shift key didn't work.

Howard

--