From: Howard Traxler
Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 12:55 PM
To: TechTalk
Subject: [TechTalk] Location of mail

I have ThunderBird set up on gMail as an imap client (I think it's
called). In this case, are my e-mail messages on my computer or on some
server in some other place? If not all the same, I'm mostly interested
in the in-box, sent items and trash. It seems like I have two trash
folders. Sure would like to keep stuff on my own computer.

Thanks.
Howard

Howard Traxler

Short of pulling out the cat5 plug, I'm not sure I know how to disconnect.  And to be confident that I can reconnect.

On 10/6/2020 1:13 PM, Gene wrote:
I think the messages are on your computer if they are trash and other such folders.  But to be sure, disconnect from the Internet, open the program, try to open messages and see what happens.  If they are on your computer, they will open.  If they aren't, they won't.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Howard Traxler
Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 12:55 PM
To: TechTalk

I have ThunderBird set up on gMail as an imap client (I think it's
called).  In this case, are my e-mail messages on my computer or on some
server in some other place?  If not all the same, I'm mostly interested
in the in-box, sent items and trash.  It seems like I have two trash
folders.  Sure would like to keep stuff on my own computer.

Thanks.
Howard

Norman

This is a reasonable way to disconnect. That won't cause any issues.

Go ahead and pull it and then you know with absolute certainty that you're disconnected from the net.

Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 12:55 PM
To: TechTalk

I have ThunderBird set up on gMail as an imap client (I think it's
called).  In this case, are my e-mail messages on my computer or on some
server in some other place?  If not all the same, I'm mostly interested
in the in-box, sent items and trash.  It seems like I have two trash
folders.  Sure would like to keep stuff on my own computer.

Thanks.
Howard

Gene

I don't know the name of the plug, but as far as I know, that is the one I'm referring to. It looks like a phone plug but it is quite a bit larger. That's how I disconnect when I want to. You may want to make sure that that is the same chord I'm talking about but it sounds very likely.

Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2020 12:55 PM
To: TechTalk

I have ThunderBird set up on gMail as an imap client (I think it's
called). In this case, are my e-mail messages on my computer or on some
server in some other place? If not all the same, I'm mostly interested
in the in-box, sent items and trash. It seems like I have two trash
folders. Sure would like to keep stuff on my own computer.

Thanks.
Howard

Monte Single

The cat 5 plug uses an rj45 connector where a phone line uses an rj11 connector. The one for the phone is smaller but similar to the cat5 connector.