From: "Troy Burnham" <troyburnham34@...>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, December 9, 2019 10:26 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard

Hi all,

I asked for suggestions for a new bluetooth keyboard a week or 2 ago, and I can't remember who it was but somebody suggested the Logitech K380 keyboard. I received that keyboard today and got it paired to my phone which is what I'll be using it with the most, but the print in the manual that came with it is very small so it's hard for my mom to see it so I'd like some help regarding key position etc, as well as knowing if there's an on/off switch as I haven't found one.

Also, I've had a bluetooth keyboard before but unless the commands are the same no matter what brand of keyboard it is I'd like to know where I can find a list of commands. I googled Logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard manual and didn't find much.

Thanks.

Troy

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Troy,

Yes, the K-380 does have an on / off switch.  With the keyboard positioned correctly in front of you, on the left edge / side, in the upper left side corner is a switch that slides forward / backward.  With the switch closest to you the keyboard is off, and pushing / sliding the switch away from you turns in on.

From:
Richard Turner
I believe it is much like the k480 but uses f1 f2 and f3 for the select each device you pair with.
The left of the spacebar starting all the way to the left should be control, function, options, then command.
Spacebar right, should be command, options, then the arrow keys I think.
If you do control-options-k you can turn on keyboard help on your iDevice and you should be able to confirm what most of them are
Most of the f-keys do little or nothing with iOS.
ON mine, f5 seems to invoke search.  f6 rewind, f7 pause or play, f8 forward.
One or other of the ones after f9 seem to be a home button.  The final key on the right on that row, says Delete, but does nothing.  The one below delete
that is twice as big as the delete key is backspace.  The one below backspace, before return is Back Slash.
Note from MikeB.: My K380 does not have a Back Space key.
Again, this is my K480.

HTH,
Richard

Sent: Monday, December 09, 2019 7:26 PM

Hi all,

I asked for suggestions for a new bluetooth keyboard a week or 2 ago,
and I can't remember who it was but somebody suggested the Logitech K380
keyboard. I received that keyboard today and got it paired to my phone
which is what I'll be using it with the most, but the print in the
manual that came with it is very small so it's hard for my mom to see it
so I'd like some help regarding key position etc, as well as knowing if
there's an on/off switch as I haven't found one.

Also, I've had a bluetooth keyboard before but unless the commands are
the same no matter what brand of keyboard it is I'd like to know where I
can find a list of commands. I googled Logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard
manual and didn't find much.

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

If I turn on keyboard help will the keys speak when I press them then? Also how do I get out of help? I'm guessing just hit escape?

I have a small text file with bluetooth keyboard commands in case I needed them with the keyboard I had before, should the commands be the same since it's a different brand keyboard?

Oh and I found the on/off switch.

Troy

From:

Sent: Monday, December 09, 2019 7:26 PM

Hi all,

I asked for suggestions for a new bluetooth keyboard a week or 2 ago,
and I can't remember who it was but somebody suggested the Logitech K380
keyboard. I received that keyboard today and got it paired to my phone
which is what I'll be using it with the most, but the print in the
manual that came with it is very small so it's hard for my mom to see it
so I'd like some help regarding key position etc, as well as knowing if
there's an on/off switch as I haven't found one.

Also, I've had a bluetooth keyboard before but unless the commands are
the same no matter what brand of keyboard it is I'd like to know where I
can find a list of commands. I googled Logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard
manual and didn't find much.

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

The keys will be spoken unless the keyboard uses codes that cause the keys to perform nonstandard functions and in that case, I'm not sure what will happen.

Escape, when in keyboardd help, announces escape.  If it didn't keyboard help wouldn't be doing what it should do.  JAWS key 1 on the main number row, not the numpad, toggles keyboard help on and off.

Sent: Monday, December 09, 2019 7:26 PM

[...]

See if this will help:

VoiceOver Keyboard commands plus Finger Gestures by Richard Turner
Date: Thursday, April 04, 2019 3:21 PM

I put together a word document in a table that has things separated into
sections and the table has three possible columns.  First is the action,
seconde
is keyboard command and third is gesture.

VoiceOver Keyboard commands and Finger Gestures 05/22/2018

You can control VoiceOver using a Wireless Keyboard paired with an iPhone,
iPad or iPod Touch. You can also use the number keys on a Wireless Keyboard
to dial a phone number, enter numbers in calculator, and to enter your pass
code on the lock screen.

You can use VoiceOver Help to learn the keyboard layout and the actions
associated with various key combinations or gestures. VoiceOver Help will
speak
keys and keyboard commands as you type them, without performing the
associated action.

VoiceOver keyboard commands and Gestures

The main keys used with VoiceOver are Control and Options pressed together.
In the rest of this document, they will be referred to as "VO Keys."

table with 3 columns and 54 rows
Action

Keyboard

Gesture

Turn on VoiceOver Help

VO-K

4 finger double tap

Turn off VoiceOver Help

Esc (Escape)

2 finger scrub or press the home button

Answer/Hang up phone

VO-Hyphen

2 finger double tap

Also pauses and restarts audio ...

Select the next or previous item

VO-Right Arrow or VO-Left Arrow

1 finger flick right or left

Activate the selected item

VO-Space bar

1 finger double tap

Activate back button

Esc

2 finger scrub

Go to Home screen

VO-H

Press and release the home button

Go to the status bar

VO-M

1 finger touch in the Status Bar

Move one screen left

Option key-Left Arrow

3 finger swipe from left to right

Move one screen right

Option key-right arrow

3 finger swipe right to left

Read from the current position

VO-A

2 finger flick down

Read from the top

VO-B

2 finger flick up

Pause or resume reading

Control key

2 finger touch

When writing/editing text, Read current character

VO-c (pressing it twice speaks phonetic word

See Rotor gestures

Read current word

VO-w (pressing it twice spells the word, 3 times spells it using phonetic
letters

See Rotor gestures

Read current line

VO-l

See rotor gestures

Copy the last spoken text to the clipboard

VO-Shift-C

3 finger quadruple tap

Search for text

VO-F

Mute or unmute VoiceOver

VO-S

3 finger double tap

Open Control Center

VO-m then Option key down arrow

1 finger touch in Status Bar followed by a 3 finger flick up

Open Notification Center

VO-m then Option key-up arrow

1 finger touch in status bar followed by 3 finger flick down

Open the Item Chooser

VO-I

2 finger triple tap

Change the label of the selected item

VO-/

2 finger double tap and hold the second tap

Turn the screen curtain on or off

VO-Shift-S

3 finger triple tap

Create an new Email, new Text Message, New Note, New calendar event

Command-n

1 finger double tap on new/add button

Reply to an Email

Command-r

1 finger double tap on reply button

Send an Email

Command-Shift-d

1 finger double tap on send button
table end

Text editing

Use these commands (with Quick Nav turned off) to work with text. VoiceOver
reads the text as you move the insertion point.

table with 2 columns and 17 rows
Action

Keyboard

Go forward or back one character

Right Arrow or Left Arrow

Go forward or back one word

Option-Right Arrow or Option-Left Arrow

Go up or down one line

Up Arrow or Down Arrow

Go to the beginning or end of the line

Command-Left Arrow or Command-right Arrow

Go to the beginning or end of the paragraph

Option-Up Arrow or Option-Down Arrow

Go to the previous or next paragraph

Option-Up Arrow or Option-Down Arrow

Go to the top or bottom of the text field

Command-Up Arrow or Command-Down Arrow

Select text as you move

Shift + any of the insertion point movement commands above
table end

Quick Nav (Only for wireless keyboard)

Turn on Quick Nav to control VoiceOver using the arrow keys.

table with 2 columns and 10 rows
Action

Keyboard

Turn Quick Nav on or off

Left Arrow-Right Arrow

Select the next or previous item

Right Arrow or Left Arrow

Select the next or previous item specified by the rotor

Up Arrow or Down Arrow

Select the first or last item

Control-Up Arrow or Control-Down Arrow

Scroll up, down, left, or right

Option-Up Arrow, Option-Down Arrow, Option-Left Arrow, or Option-Right Arrow
table end

Single-key Quick Nav for web browsing

When you view a webpage with Quick Nav on, you can use the following keys on
the keyboard to navigate the page quickly. Typing the key moves to the next
item of the indicated type. To move to the previous item, hold the Shift key
as you type the letter.

table with 2 columns and 37 rows
Action

Keyboard

Turn on Single-key Quick Nav

VO-Q

Heading

Link

Text field

Button

Form control

Image

Table

List

Item of the same type

Level 1 heading

1

Level 2 heading

2

Level 3 heading

3

Level 4 heading

4

Level 5 heading

5

Level 6 heading

6

Static text

ARIA landmark

table end

Miscellaneous Commands

table with 3 columns and 8 rows
Action

Keyboard

Gesture

Select all text

Command-A

Copy, cut, or paste the selected text

Command-C, Command-X, or Command-V

Undo last change

Command-Z

Redo

Shift-Command-Z

table end

Sent: Monday, December 09, 2019 7:26 PM

Hi all,

I asked for suggestions for a new bluetooth keyboard a week or 2 ago,
and I can't remember who it was but somebody suggested the Logitech K380
keyboard. I received that keyboard today and got it paired to my phone
which is what I'll be using it with the most, but the print in the
manual that came with it is very small so it's hard for my mom to see it
so I'd like some help regarding key position etc, as well as knowing if
there's an on/off switch as I haven't found one.

Also, I've had a bluetooth keyboard before but unless the commands are
the same no matter what brand of keyboard it is I'd like to know where I
can find a list of commands. I googled Logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard
manual and didn't find much.

Thanks.

Troy

Margaret Thomas

I got my Logitech K380 several days ago and had originally hoped to try to pair it with my iPhone SE 2 today since I had a sighted person here, but it turned out not to be a good day for a couple of reasons. I did ask my friend to take a quick look at it and we ran into an apparent change with the power on/off. It doesn't feel like a switch on mine, but a button that seems like it only goes down. It's on the top left hand edge at the top and we didn't find anything that looked or felt like a switch. My product identifier said the box said Logitech K380 and my friend said it says K380. Have they changed it or am I missing something? An actual switch was one of the reasons I got the keyboard.

Many thanks,

Margaret

From:
[...]

Michelle S

Margaret, that little switch does in fact move up and down. Move it up and the keyboard is on, move it down and its off. Hope this helps.

I asked for suggestions for a new bluetooth keyboard a week or 2 ago,
and I can't remember who it was but somebody suggested the Logitech K380
keyboard. I received that keyboard today and got it paired to my phone
which is what I'll be using it with the most, but the print in the
manual that came with it is very small so it's hard for my mom to see it
so I'd like some help regarding key position etc, as well as knowing if
there's an on/off switch as I haven't found one.

Also, I've had a bluetooth keyboard before but unless the commands are
the same no matter what brand of keyboard it is I'd like to know where I
can find a list of commands. I googled Logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard
manual and didn't find much.

Thanks.

Troy

Margaret Thomas

Michelle,

Thank you. It does indeed go up and down on mine. I was expecting something rectangular in shape like a light switch and it felt round to me and my friend called it a button.

When I got it to move, it was in the up position for some reason and who knows how long it was in a warehouse. Will regular alkaline Triple A batteries like Duracell or Coppertop work to replace the ones it came with? I thought I read somewhere the batteries could last for two years, but because I found it in the up position and the battery was draining, I want to start with new batteries.

Thanks again,

Margaret

From:
[...]

Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.
I asked for suggestions for a new bluetooth keyboard a week or 2 ago,
and I can't remember who it was but somebody suggested the Logitech K380
keyboard. I received that keyboard today and got it paired to my phone
which is what I'll be using it with the most, but the print in the
manual that came with it is very small so it's hard for my mom to see it
so I'd like some help regarding key position etc, as well as knowing if
there's an on/off switch as I haven't found one.

Also, I've had a bluetooth keyboard before but unless the commands are
the same no matter what brand of keyboard it is I'd like to know where I
can find a list of commands. I googled Logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard
manual and didn't find much.

Thanks.

Troy

Michelle S

Hi Margaret, the batteries that are in there now should be fine. Don't worry about replacing them yet. I use my K380 pretty much every day and I still haven't needed to replace the batteries yet. This should give you an indication of how long they will last.

I asked for suggestions for a new bluetooth keyboard a week or 2 ago,
and I can't remember who it was but somebody suggested the Logitech K380
keyboard. I received that keyboard today and got it paired to my phone
which is what I'll be using it with the most, but the print in the
manual that came with it is very small so it's hard for my mom to see it
so I'd like some help regarding key position etc, as well as knowing if
there's an on/off switch as I haven't found one.

Also, I've had a bluetooth keyboard before but unless the commands are
the same no matter what brand of keyboard it is I'd like to know where I
can find a list of commands. I googled Logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard
manual and didn't find much.

Thanks.

Troy

Sis Margaret, if there's anything I like about a Logitech keyboard, it is,
for me, the way it seems to manage batteries! No I don't have the K380, but
I do have the MK270 which is not bluetooth, but a wireless keyboard with a
USB dongle. I HAVE NOT CHANGED the batteries in this keyboard in the last
two years and counting! So, I'd say don't discard the batteries it came
with yet, give it a go and I think it'll surprise you.

Since I like Logitech keyboards, why don't I have a K380 or any other
Logitech K series keyboard? See, dear sis, I happen to be A LAZY BUM! I DO
NOT WISH to deal with having to type in paring codes on bluetooth keyboards.
Logitech K380 and its many cousins WILL FORCE ME to do exactly that!

The bluetooth keyboards I play ball with DO NOT REQUIRE ME to type in paring
codes; they and my toys just find each other after I invoke a bluetooth
scan. Next, all I have to do is find an available bluetooth keyboard
waiting to be pared, tap on the "PARE BUTTON" and voilá, they both shake
hands beautifully and become friends. I vegetate towards the trifold
bluetooth keyboards, I never have to worry about an on/off button 'cause
when I fold the keyboard, it goes off; conversely, when I'm not using the
keyboard for several minutes, it turns off and I just PRESS ANY KEY to wake
it up. These ones have non-replaceable rechargeable Lithium-Ion batteries
though. I do wish and hope that I'll be able to find trifold bluetooth
keyboards that use regular AA or AAA batteries I can replace myself.

Enjoy the K380, hide one for me under that Christmas tree, santa will pick
up in October! All the very best.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Hi, I am ANdroid, the THINKING PERSON'S OS!!

Margaret Thomas

Olusegun and Michelle:

Thank you, I'll hold off putting in new batteries in the K380 and see how things go. the phone is my backup phone since I'm in an area where we get hurricanes and Nor'easters that can knock power out for several days. My thought was to have the keyboard available for typing in passwords etc.

Another question, if I could. I found The set-up guide on the Logitech site very unhelpful and what folks have posted on various lists much more useful. The set-up guide says:
"Re-pairing a device
If a device becomes disconnected from the keyboard, you can easily re-pair the device with the K380.
On the keyboard
Press and hold down an Easy-Switch button until the status light starts blinking.
The keyboard is in pairing mode for the next three minutes.
On the device
Go to Bluetooth settings on your device and select Logitech Bluetooth® Multi-Device Keyboard K380 when it appears in the list of available Bluetooth devices.
Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the pairing.
Upon pairing, the status LED on the keyboard stops blinking and remains steady for 10 seconds.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/manuals/k380-setup-guide
" I had thought that once a device was paired, that it stayed paired. Did I misunderstand? Do I have to go through the whole pairing process every time I would use the phone with the keyboard? Sighted assistance is not readily available here and I'm not the only one who has to make special arrangements.

Thank you,

Margaret

On 7/14/2022 2:53 PM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. wrote:
[...]

Hi Margaret, once you pair the keyboard, you won't have to do it every time you use the keyboard. I've been using mine for quite some time and I've never had to re-pair it so I wouldn't worry too much about this one.

On 2022-07-16 7:41 a.m., Margaret Thomas wrote:
Olusegun and Michelle:

[...]

Sis Margaret, my experience is that once a bluetooth keyboard is pared, it
stays alive that way. The times a reparing becomes necessary is when one
performs A FACTORY RESET of the smart toy, or if one experiences
intermittent malfunctions which hardly ever occurs. In my case, no
bluetooth toy pared with my DAILY DRIVER OR REPURPOSED TOY has ever
malfunctioned.

I'd say it's safe to ignore what the online manual suggests.