From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mary Smith via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 8:13 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Looking for a laptop replacement

Hello listers, I'm interested in getting a couple of recommendations for a laptop replacement. Ideally, I'd like something that is a bit more portable. The type of device I'd like is something that either has a detachable keyboard or something that would allow me to pair it with a bluetooth keyboard. I don't need a device with high specifications. I'd like something that could be used for Email/web browsing or entertainment.

Thank you for any recommendations you send my way.

Mary.

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

My recommendation would be to consider a Chromebook, as it seems that it should meet your needs depending on what you said. I just bought an HP which allows for use as a tablet or a lapto, it has a great keyboard, and if you wish, you can connect a bluetooth keyboard to it.

Thanks.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

Monte Single

Hello,

Would you give the model number of this Asus device, or the specifications?

Cheers,

Monte

Hello, Mary, I hve a asus mini computer that is like a lap top without the screen. If you're interested let me know.
Leigh

Hello listers, I'm interested in getting a couple of recommendations for a laptop replacement. Ideally, I'd like something that is a bit more portable. The type of device I'd like is something that either has a detachable keyboard or something that would allow me to pair it with a bluetooth keyboard. I don't need a device with high specifications. I'd like something that could be used for Email/web browsing or entertainment.

Thank you for any recommendations you send my way.

Mary.

Mary Smith

Hello, I am very interested in learning about this device.

gbmagoo@...

I am interested, please

thanks

Hello, Mary, I hve a asus mini computer that is like a lap top without the screen. If you're interested let me know.
Leigh

Hello listers, I'm interested in getting a couple of recommendations for a laptop replacement. Ideally, I'd like something that is a bit more portable. The type of device I'd like is something that either has a detachable keyboard or something that would allow me to pair it with a bluetooth keyboard. I don't need a device with high specifications. I'd like something that could be used for Email/web browsing or entertainment.

Thank you for any recommendations you send my way.

Mary.

Mary Smith

Hello, I've been doing a lot of research on chromebooks. One model I'm looking at is the chromebook duet manufactured by lenovo.

Hello,

mailbox.org@groups.io> wrote:

Hello listers, I'm interested in getting a couple of recommendations
for a laptop replacement. Ideally, I'd like something that is a bit more
portable. The type of device I'd like is something that either has a
detachable keyboard or something that would allow me to pair it with a
bluetooth keyboard. I don't need a device with high specifications. I'd
like something that could be used for Email/web browsing or entertainment.

Thank you for any recommendations you send my way.

Mary.

Josh Kennedy

How about the ipad 8th gen from Apple, for $329. It works very good and has a whole lot of keyboard command.

Mary Smith

I have considered apple devices but I do have one concern. Typing on a device using a touch screen might be a little challenging for me.

On 2020-10-29 12:05 p.m., Josh Kennedy wrote:
How about the ipad 8th gen from Apple, for $329. It works very good and has a whole lot of keyboard command.

Joe Orozco

How do you like the document editing functionality on the iPad? I'm
looking for a travel device to supplement my primary laptop, but my
fear is not having the same ease of use with opening and editing Word
files in Dropbox. I'm debating between the Surface and an iPad. Thanks
for any added information. I hope this is not highjacking the thread.

Joe

On 10/29/20, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
How about the ipad 8th gen from Apple, for $329. It works very good and has
a whole lot of keyboard command.

Mary Smith

The surface go 2 would be perfect for me if it wasn't so expensive. The model I would choose is about $700 cad.

On 2020-10-29 12:12 p.m., Joe Orozco wrote:
How do you like the document editing functionality on the iPad? I'm
looking for a travel device to supplement my primary laptop, but my
fear is not having the same ease of use with opening and editing Word
files in Dropbox. I'm debating between the Surface and an iPad. Thanks
for any added information. I hope this is not highjacking the thread.

Joe

On 10/29/20, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
How about the ipad 8th gen from Apple, for $329. It works very good and has
a whole lot of keyboard command.

Joe Orozco

What configuration are you looking at, and does it include the
keyboard cover?--Joe

On 2020-10-29 12:12 p.m., Joe Orozco wrote:
How do you like the document editing functionality on the iPad? I'm
looking for a travel device to supplement my primary laptop, but my
fear is not having the same ease of use with opening and editing Word
files in Dropbox. I'm debating between the Surface and an iPad. Thanks
for any added information. I hope this is not highjacking the thread.

Joe

On 10/29/20, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
How about the ipad 8th gen from Apple, for $329. It works very good and
has
a whole lot of keyboard command.

Mary Smith

The configuration I would get is the one with 4 gb of ram and a 128 gb ssd. The keyboard cover is sold separately.

On 2020-10-29 12:12 p.m., Joe Orozco wrote:
How do you like the document editing functionality on the iPad? I'm
looking for a travel device to supplement my primary laptop, but my
fear is not having the same ease of use with opening and editing Word
files in Dropbox. I'm debating between the Surface and an iPad. Thanks
for any added information. I hope this is not highjacking the thread.

Joe

On 10/29/20, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
How about the ipad 8th gen from Apple, for $329. It works very good and
has
a whole lot of keyboard command.

Joe Orozco

I'm going to be selling an HP Pavilion X360 2-in-1. My model has an 11
inch screen, 4 gigs RAM, and 128 gigs of SSD. The textured keyboard is
superb. I'm just looking for a little more horse power. I have only
used it a handful of times, and I still have the original box. I'd be
willing to sell it to you for $300 if you're interested. You can read
more about it at the link below. No big if you decide to pass, but I
thought I would offer it to you before posting it to the usual venues
for sell and trade.

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/laptops/2-in-1s/pavilion-x360s-convertible-laptop.html

On 2020-10-29 12:12 p.m., Joe Orozco wrote:
How do you like the document editing functionality on the iPad? I'm
looking for a travel device to supplement my primary laptop, but my
fear is not having the same ease of use with opening and editing Word
files in Dropbox. I'm debating between the Surface and an iPad. Thanks
for any added information. I hope this is not highjacking the thread.

Joe

On 10/29/20, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
How about the ipad 8th gen from Apple, for $329. It works very good
and
has
a whole lot of keyboard command.

Greg Wocher

Hello,
I am going to preface this by saying I am an apple fan. However, the Surface would be much better for document editing on the go. It is still a hassle to do that with an iPad especially if you are going to be using dropbox. It is just not as easy as it is with a windows or Mac computer. It’s all the sandboxing on the iPad that makes it a bit difficult. This is not to say that you cannot do it on the iPad, it would just be easier on the surface.

Greg Wocher

On 2020-10-29 12:12 p.m., Joe Orozco wrote:
How do you like the document editing functionality on the iPad? I'm
looking for a travel device to supplement my primary laptop, but my
fear is not having the same ease of use with opening and editing Word
files in Dropbox. I'm debating between the Surface and an iPad. Thanks
for any added information. I hope this is not highjacking the thread.

Joe

On 10/29/20, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
How about the ipad 8th gen from Apple, for $329. It works very good
and
has
a whole lot of keyboard command.

Joe Orozco

Greg, thank you an incredible amount for being candid despite your
Apple preference. That sincerely helps me make a more informed buying
decision.--Joe

On 2020-10-29 12:12 p.m., Joe Orozco wrote:
How do you like the document editing functionality on the iPad? I'm
looking for a travel device to supplement my primary laptop, but my
fear is not having the same ease of use with opening and editing Word
files in Dropbox. I'm debating between the Surface and an iPad.
Thanks
for any added information. I hope this is not highjacking the thread.

Joe

On 10/29/20, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
How about the ipad 8th gen from Apple, for $329. It works very good
and
has
a whole lot of keyboard command.

Marie

Lenovo makes a very nice Win 10 tablet which comes with the type cover and is reasonably priced. A friend has one and likes it, so give it a look. I know Best Buy carries them.
Marie

On 2020-10-29 12:12 p.m., Joe Orozco wrote:
How do you like the document editing functionality on the iPad? I'm
looking for a travel device to supplement my primary laptop, but my
fear is not having the same ease of use with opening and editing Word
files in Dropbox. I'm debating between the Surface and an iPad. Thanks
for any added information. I hope this is not highjacking the thread.

Joe

On 10/29/20, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
How about the ipad 8th gen from Apple, for $329. It works very good
and
has
a whole lot of keyboard command.

Mary Smith

Joe, thank you so much for the offer. I'd like to do a bit more research before I actually purchase something so if you know of someone else who would like your machine, its ok if you offer it to them instead.

On 2020-10-29 12:12 p.m., Joe Orozco wrote:
How do you like the document editing functionality on the iPad? I'm
looking for a travel device to supplement my primary laptop, but my
fear is not having the same ease of use with opening and editing Word
files in Dropbox. I'm debating between the Surface and an iPad. Thanks
for any added information. I hope this is not highjacking the thread.

Joe

On 10/29/20, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
How about the ipad 8th gen from Apple, for $329. It works very good
and
has
a whole lot of keyboard command.

Mary Smith

Marie, this sounds like what I'm looking for. Could you find out the model number?

-----Original Message----- From: Greg Wocher

On 2020-10-29 12:12 p.m., Joe Orozco wrote:
How do you like the document editing functionality on the iPad? I'm
looking for a travel device to supplement my primary laptop, but my
fear is not having the same ease of use with opening and editing Word
files in Dropbox. I'm debating between the Surface and an iPad. Thanks
for any added information. I hope this is not highjacking the thread.

Joe

On 10/29/20, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
How about the ipad 8th gen from Apple, for $329. It works very good
and
has
a whole lot of keyboard command.

Marie

It will depend on the options you wish to have, but if you just go to Best Buy and do a search for "Lenovo Windows tablet" you will get the models they currently have.
Or, depending on your budget, I have a Surface Pro 7 with the Surface type cover for sale.
Marie