looking for help with making windows 10 easier to use with jaws

joanne

I thought someone may have put out a tutorial, and I know someone who unfortunately had to get a windows 10 computer and he's pretty frustrated with its layout and everything. Are there programs that will make the layout more like windows 7? I know I may have to learn this too for when this computer stops working. But we're hoping that with good tutoring and suggestions from the email groups we can make it more doable.

Thanks.

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

My first suggestion is that you not look for something that is going to emulate Windows7. This is because Windows10 has the same features as did 7, except that they are in different places. The desktop is in the same place. The start menu is a bit different, but you can stick to the desktop and all your commands from 7 will work. I suggest that you use Google Chrome or Firefox because MSIE is no longer being supported.

As for making Jaws work better with Windows10, I strongly suggest that instead of complaining about how different Windows10 is, that you go to the help menu in Jaws which is in the Jaws screen, and you start exploring the wealth of tutorials which are available there as well as on the Freedom Scientific site.

Jaws has some proprietary commands which are supposed to make Windows10 easier to use, but frankly, learning Windows10 is a much better option.

You two are actually in a good position when it comes to the learning curve. Why? Because you already know what you want the computer to do. Create a cheat-sheet of commands and keep going! Of course you won't remember any or at least not all of the new commands, that is why a cheat-sheet is necessary. Once you understand computer concepts, you're good to go.

Now, if you or your friend are of a mind to hire somebody to help you make sense of Windows10, take a look at the website below. Portal Tutoring may be an answer you want to consider. Otherwise, take a long look at Jaws and its tutorials. Oh, you want to have at least Jaws 18. Anything older won't give you the results you want. Unfortunately, tech moves onward inexorably. You've got to keep up. I suggest you move to Jaws Home Edition which is billed like Office365. That will give you the latest version of Jaws for a somewhat reasonable price.

Here is a link that may get you started.

https://doccenter.freedomscientific.com/doccenter/doccenter/rs25c51746a0cc/2015-10-28_windows10-basics/02_Windows10Basics.htm#:~:text=Press%20WINDOWS%20Key%2BI.,ARROW%20to%20move%20to%20Start.&text=I%20will%20press%20TAB%20to,press%20SPACEBAR%20to%20check%20it.

Ann P.