Topics

messages in my gmail account do not get deleted

Joe Giovanelli

Good morning,

The subject more or less tells the story. I delete messages with my HIMS U2. I can delete messages with Thunderbird.

If I open email with either my Blind Shell Classic or my Iphone 6, I am shown that I have 14,000 messages.

I have looked into my Gmail account and don't find a way to delete this high number of messages. Also, I find no way to tell Gmail to empty trash when exiting Email.

I will truly appreciate any ideas you may have as to how I can solve these issues.

Joe Giovanelli, W2PVY

Gmail does delete messages when you delete them.

The following should help you in terms of being able to select and delete huge numbers of messages at once: Mass Selection and Deletion of Gmail Messages via the Gmail Web Interface

It appears that mail in the trash folder is deleted after thirty days.
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/long-gmail-keep-emails-65391.html
Mail in the spam folder is as well. It appears that, unless you don't want mail in trash for privacy reasons, you don't need to worry about deleting it there.

If you delete mail from your inbox, it goes to trash. But I don't know just what is kept for indefinite periods of time elsewhere by GMail. Evidently, mail in your inbox, if you leave it there, is kept indefinitely. But sent mail and mail you keep in other folders, I'll leave for others to discuss. There is a way to delete large amounts of messages from various folders. I haven't used it and don't know it.