Topics

Messenger

TerriLynne Pomeroy

Hi all,

I am very interested in using the messenger site associated with Facebook, but when I go there, I can’t figure out how to get JAWS to read the messages. Has anyone had any success with this site?

https://www.messenger.com/

Thanks for any help you might have,

TerriLynne

I know I use messenger but I use it on my iPhone and my iPad with voiceover. As for JAWS I am not sure.

Ashley Breger

On Dec 4, 2018, at 9:09 PM, TerriLynne Pomeroy <tl1@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I am very interested in using the messenger site associated with Facebook, but when I go there, I can’t figure out how to get JAWS to read the messages. Has anyone had any success with this site?

https://www.messenger.com/

Thanks for any help you might have,

TerriLynne

Kwork

On the computer, I use it through the Facebook mobile site:

https://m.facebook.com/

If you tab from the top of the page, you'll find a link close to the top that says "messages." If you have new messages, there will be a number associated with the link. For instance, right now mine says

Messages(1)

That means there is a new message I haven't checked yet. Clicking on that will take me to that message.

If there is no number after the word "messages," clicking on that will get you to the page where you can view recent conversations by user, with links to click on each one if desired.

Like Ashley though, I find it to be most efficient using my iPhone.

Travis

On 12/4/2018 8:55 PM, Ashley Breger via Groups.Io wrote:
I know I use messenger but I use it on my iPhone and my iPad with voiceover. As for JAWS I am not sure.

Ashley Breger

On Dec 4, 2018, at 9:09 PM, TerriLynne Pomeroy <tl1@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I am very interested in using the messenger site associated with Facebook, but when I go there, I can’t figure out how to get JAWS to read the messages. Has anyone had any success with this site?

https://www.messenger.com/

Thanks for any help you might have,

TerriLynne

TerriLynne Pomeroy

Hi Travis,

Thank you for your response. However, if I understand the whole messenger thing correctly, it is not the samde as the one at a time messages to which you are referring. If you go to your messenger page at

https://www.messenger.com/

a sighted person can see all of the messages in a conversation on that one page. It is a chat option which people can use as a live chat in pairs or groups or whatever. I am part of at least one neighborhood group, but can’t read the darned messages.

TerriLynne

[...]

Hi TerriLynne,

I believe it is the same messages as I have been involved in some group conversations that I've been able to view in the method I described.

No, it's true you can't view all conversations at once, but, as it is the most accessible way of viewing Facebook Messenger conversations at all outside of using an iOS device that I know of, and not knowing Android at all so can't speak there, I thought I'd explain how I do it. Yes, it's cumbersome, but at least a bit more doable than not being able to see any of them at all.

Also, from that page, you can add new message, for a single person, or add group, where you can add people to a group for distributing a message to more than one person. I haven't tried that personally beyond just looking at that page just now, but the page seems accessible enough.

Travis

On 12/5/2018 7:42 AM, TerriLynne Pomeroy wrote:

[...]

Veronica Kirk

TerriLynne, I think it is hopeless for a blind person to chat on FB using the computer.  Using the message function on the mobile site is not actual chatting.  A while back a blind person could use instant bird to carry on a conversation with others, but this no longer works.  The message link on the mobile site is mainly for leaving your friends a private message for them to read at some point, and is a poor excuse for an actual conversation.  There is a chat link on the mobile site, but it is useless for a blind person.  It mainly tells you which of your friends are chatting.

[...]

Victor

I am inclined to agree. Whether you use the Facebook mobile site or the full site, chatting on Facebook is pretty difficult. It can be done on the full site, but it’s almost more trouble than it’s worth. Facebook and Facebook messenger are more accessible on mobile devices.

Victor

On Dec 6, 2018, at 6:34 PM, Veronica Kirk <veronicaa.kirk@...> wrote:

[...]

Jack And Becky <jack@...>

Victor my friend that is not saying very much! Facebook messenger is just about the most  fussy idiosyncratic app I have ever tried using! However as a totally deaf fella, I gotta use it to communicate with PEOPLE! That is my first order! I spend a lot of my time trying to do that. COMMUNICATE WITH PEOPLE!!  Anyway, they supposedly  have blind people who vet their apps but it's nonsense since they take absolutely  no heed of the feedback they get from us! I know, So tried! I truly would not use it unless I had too   It's  gnarly  MAN!
All The best

Jack and Bex
:-)