Topics

microsoft office 365 is it accessible with NVDA?

Mário Navarro

Hello all.
can someone please confirm if the version of office 365 home, or the personal version is accessible with NVDA?
if so, what is the percentage rate from 1 to 10?
the main office apps that I will use are: word, and excel.
How does NVDA work with these two apps?
can I invest without accessibility concerns in office 365 home, or personal with NVDA?
I always got used to using the office pack 2016, or 2019.
but now I need other types of services with office 365.
and my concern is whether I will have the same accessibility with office 365.
I know that the structure and layout are different, but what interests me is whether NVDA works normally as well as in the office pack, or there are differences in accessibility.
please can someone give me some tips on this subject?
thank you all.
cheers.

Quentin Christensen

Hi Mário,

Yes NVDA works great with Office 365.  There are some things which work better, for instance, spell check in Word didn't used to have the option to read the context of the misspelt word or definition of suggested replacements - except by using object navigation.  Now that all works as you navigate around the spellcheck pane.  Because Office 365 is regularly updated, there is always the danger of things breaking, but for the most part, I would say Microsoft fix more things than they break in terms of accessibility overall.  Plus, if you DO report an issue (accessibility or otherwise) in say Office 2016 or even Office 2019 - Microsoft aren't going to fix it in that version, they'll fix it (if it's still an issue) in Office 365.

So the main consideration then is that Office 365 is a subscription product you pay for either monthly or yearly, vs Office 2019 which can buy outright with one (higher initial outlay) purchase.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Mário Navarro

hi Quentin.
great tips.
thank you good friend.
thank you for everything you do for us, and for the world NVDA community.
you are a wonderful human being.
god bless you Quentin.
long life for you.

cheers.

Às 07:59 de 04/11/2020, Quentin Christensen escreveu:
[...]

Thank you Mário, you are most welcome!

Also, for anyone wanting to improve their skills with Microsoft Office and NVDA, we have training material for Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint at https://www.nvaccess.org/shop

Kind regards

Quentin.

[...]