From: Vicki W
Sent: Monday, July 06, 2020 2:28 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Microsoft Security Essentials Issue

Hi,

I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows 7 and the last several days, when checking the system tray, it tells me that my computer is potentially unprotected. Until several days ago it always read that the PC was protected.

I've checked in all my settings under both Essentials and Windows update and nothing has changed.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks.

Vicki

Vicki W

I did notice that once I updated the intelligence files, it was normal again. For some reason, Windows is still not downloading my updates for that program automatically. I have all the settings correct, other things download automatically, although they don't install until I say so, but the intelligence files won't even download until I manually check for updates.

Vicki

Either the program has found something and quarantined it, the program needs updating or, a scan needs to be run.  I don't know how many days the computer can run without MSSE doing a scan that it takes to give you the potentially unprotected message.  Try doing a manual quick scan, reboot the computer and see if that'll clear up the potentially unprotected message.  After rebooting the computer wait 10 or 15 minutes before check for the unprotected status in the system tray.  I've noticed that after a reboot it takes a little time for it to come back, if it's going to.

I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows 7 and the last several days, when checking the system tray, it tells me that my computer is potentially unprotected. Until several days ago it always read that the PC was protected.

I've checked in all my settings under both Essentials and Windows update and nothing has changed.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks.

Vicki

Gene

I really doubt it. Whenever I've seenn such a message, its because the definitions aren't automatically updating and you should manually update them. Quaranteening something means the item is no longer active or potentially active. it is ;separated from anyplace where it could do harm and antimalware programs don't care if you leave something in quaranteen.

[...]

Try manually updating the definitions first. You'll save work and time. When I manually update definitions, if they are successfully updated, there is no lag time. the system tray shows protected.

[...]

Veronica Kirk

When that happens on my windows 7 I do a scan with MSE, and when it has finished my PC is protected again.

I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows 7 and the last several days, when checking the system tray, it tells me that my computer is potentially unprotected. Until several days ago it always read that the PC was protected.

I've checked in all my settings under both Essentials and Windows update and nothing has changed.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks.

Vicki

Mike B

Yes maybe it works that way for you but, whenMSSE finds something & quarantines it, I get the potentially unprotected message.  I go in and do what's necessary and the PC status protected, message returns.

Either the program has found something and quarantined it, the program needs
updating or, a scan needs to be run.  I don't know how many days the
computer can run without MSSE doing a scan that it takes to give you the
potentially unprotected message.  Try doing a manual quick scan, reboot the
computer and see if that'll clear up the potentially unprotected message.
After rebooting the computer wait 10 or 15 minutes before check for the
unprotected status in the system tray.  I've noticed that after a reboot it
takes a little time for it to come back, if it's going to.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please
everybody.
I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows 7 and the last
several days, when checking the system tray, it tells me that my computer is
potentially unprotected. Until several days ago it always read that the PC
was protected.

I've checked in all my settings under both Essentials and Windows update and
nothing has changed.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks.

Vicki

Veronica Kirk

Hi Mike,

I haven’t ever had MSE quarantine anything, so I do not even know where I would look for that.  Also, whenever I set a schedule for MSE to scan, it did not do it, so I just do it manually once a week.

By the way, thanks so much for the post on how to get my scanner to scan in a word document.

Yes maybe it works that way for you but, whenMSSE finds something & quarantines it, I get the potentially unprotected message.  I go in and do what's necessary and the PC status protected, message returns.

I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows 7 and the last
several days, when checking the system tray, it tells me that my computer is
potentially unprotected. Until several days ago it always read that the PC
was protected.

I've checked in all my settings under both Essentials and Windows update and
nothing has changed.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks.

Vicki

Mike B

Hi Veronica,

I found a couple of notes that might help you with navigating MSSE.

From: Gene
Because list members ask, from time to time, how to work with Microsoft
Security Essentials, I
have provided a quick guide.  I don't discuss every quirk you will find as
you look around and there are some settings I don't explain but this is
enough material to give you most of the knowledge you need  to work with
the program and is more than enough to allow you to start using it as a
beginning user.

To begin, let's find a good place to start working from in the interface..
 You may not wish to do this as you gain experience using the program but
for now, after you open the program, tab to the home button.
Now tab through the items until you return to the home button.
Pay close attention to the structures your screen-reader tells you you are
in.  For example, the first item will be a radio button that will indicate
the kind of scan that will be performed.  If you want to perform a
different kind of scan, use the up and down arrows to select a different
radio button.  Continuing to tab will place you on a scan now button and a
change my scan schedule link.  You will then return to the home button.

You can now either left or right arrow from button to button.  Once you
get back to the home button, you can go through all the buttons again.  In
other words, either right or left arrowing will move you through all the
buttons as many times as you wish.

You don't have to press the space bar on these buttons.  Moving to them
causes the screen to change and items related to the button you move to
will be displayed.
You get from the button to the items by tabbing.  For example, if you
right arrow once from the home button, you will be on a button that says
update.  To perform an update, tab once to another button that says
update.  You will also hear alt u announced as the short cut.  this is the
only item you can work with.  If
you tab again, you will be returned to the first update button again.  So,
if you want to update the definitions, and perhaps the program would
update as well, you would tab to the update button that takes the action
and press the space bar.

for now, tab back to the button that says update and does not say alt u.
You are now back on the buttons we have been working with.  Right arrow
once.  You are now on a button that says history.  If you tab you will get
to radio buttons that determine what will be shown.  I haven't had any
items removed or detected from scans I've done so I haven't been able to
review the history.  Down arrow through the items to see what they are.
It appears  to me that you may have to move to an item if you want to
change what is displayed, then use the JAWS cursor or the Mouse Pointer in
Window-eyes or equivalent in other screen-readers to review the screen.
I'm not sure about that, however.  If you ever get lost, leave the virtual
mouse if your screen-reader requires this to return to the application
cursor, then tab until you get back to the history button.

Return to the history button now and right arrow to the next button. You
are now on the settings button.
Tab once.
You are in a list.  Don't do anything in the list yet.  Tab once and you
will see a check box you can change that applies to the first setting you
were on.  Continue to tab back to the list.  Down arrow once.  Tab and you
will see items related to the item you moved to in the list.  You

can down arrow through the items and tab around to see the available
settings for each item in the list.  Unless you understand the settings,
don't change them.  One thing you will see is a cancel button.  Unless you
have made changes, you can just tab until you get to the settings button
again and move to another button.  If you haven't changed anything,
canceling is not necessary, just moving to a different button will leave
the settings as they were.

Now, tab back to the settings button and move to the right.  You are on a
help button.  It may be that you need to be connected to the Internet for
this button to do anything.  My computer running Microsoft Security
Essentials is not connected to the Internet now and moving to this button
doesn't do anything.  You can look around on your computer to see what
happens.  the same is true for the next button to the right, which is
named something like additional help options.
Right arrowing again returns you to the home button, where you started.

When you are on the home button, you can use your screen-reader's read
status line command to hear when the last scan was conducted and what kind
of scan it was.
If you move the JAWS cursor or equivalent to the bottom of the screen and
move up the screen somewhat, you will see a line of text telling you when
the last definitions were created.  In other words, you can hear how
current your definitions are.

Remember that if you get confused as to where you are, tabbing will return
you to the row of buttons that stretch across the screen from left to
right, the home, update history, settings, etc. buttons we have been
working with. Whether you have to tab one time or perhaps four times, you
will get there so you can't get very lost in the program.

Gene

From: Gerald Levy

MSE operates on the premise that "no news is good news".  So if your scans
are clean, MSE will not display any results.  However,if MSE detects a virus
or other malicious threat, it will alert you with a dialog box that contains
an option to learn more details about the threat and A Clean Computer button
to remove it.  Any threats detected by MSE are listed on the History page
which can be accessed by tabbing to the Home button, and then right arrowing
to the History button and hitting Space.  The absence of any listed items on
the History page means that your scans have been clean.  You may need to use
the JAWS cursor to read all the information on this page.  And if you're
concerned that your MSE virus definitions are up to date, you can check your
update history on the Microsoft Update site, which lists all updates to the
MSE definitions database.

Gerald

Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 2:02 PM