Topics

MP3 Direct Cut Splitting with Cue Marks

Rich DeSteno

In MP3 Direct Cut, how does one manually place cue points in an MP3 file to enable splitting of an MP3 album into individual song tracks?  I am aware of pressing control-shift-a to enable auto splitting by time segments, but I cannot locate in the manual how you use the keyboard to manually place cue points between each song track.

--
Rich De Steno

Steve Matzura

B for Beginning and N for End. Don't know why N = End, but it does. You move the pointer to wherever you want to start cutting either with the PageDown key or by typing a time into the not-so-obvious edit field, then press B to mark the beginning, move the time line pointer again and pres N.

On 9/24/2020 5:49 PM, Rich DeSteno wrote:
In MP3 Direct Cut, how does one manually place cue points in an MP3 file to enable splitting of an MP3 album into individual song tracks? I am aware of pressing control-shift-a to enable auto splitting by time segments, but I cannot locate in the manual how you use the keyboard to manually place cue points between each song track.

Gene

I've never bothered with cue points. I don't know if one method is faster and easier than the other, but I manually set markers, then do what I want to do with whatever is between them.

If you want to save all the songs in an album in separate files, you can do the following:
First, remove any blank space or space at the beginning of the file containing audio.
Set the start marker at the beginning of the file with b. Move to where you want the file to begin and press n to set the end marker. Then press the delete key.
Now, set the start marker again at the beginning of the file. This would be the first song, in this case.
Move to the end of the song and set the end marker.
Now use the save selected option to save the song.
The command is control e. Write the name you want to give the song and press enter.
The song will be saved. After you save it, delete it with the delete key.
Now set the start marker at the beginning of the file again.
I am assuming that there is some blank space between songs. Move to the start of the song, set the end marker just before the beginning, and delete.
Now follow the procedure I outlined above.

I haven't described how to do fine editing, which you may want to do when moving the markers to the end of a song, so you can be at the end and not leave unwanted blank space or not leave unwanted blank space at the beginning. I may explain it in another message or I may send you a link to download my MP3 tutorial which teaches the basics, including editing.

In MP3 Direct Cut, how does one manually place cue points in an MP3 file
to enable splitting of an MP3 album into individual song tracks? I am
aware of pressing control-shift-a to enable auto splitting by time
segments, but I cannot locate in the manual how you use the keyboard to
manually place cue points between each song track.

--
Rich De Steno

Vaddy

This way you have to save each track one by one which for me is tedious enough. To put a cue splitting point, get to desired place, put either a beginning or end of selection mark and then press Delete or C key. After putting all cue points, go to File -> Save Split or press Ctrl-T and change track name or ID3 tag templates if necessary. The tracks will then be saved all at once.

On 25.09.2020 2:11, Gene wrote:
[...]

I don't see you saving time or trouble. Don't you then have to rename all the tracks after you save them? You still have to set all the cue points, then after the tracks are saved go to each one and use f2 to rename them.

On 25.09.2020 2:11, Gene wrote:
[...]

In general, this is not necessary. You may enter a track name with Ctrl-N at every split point or at the beginning of file. Then, on invoking Save Split dialog, change track name template to e.g. %N-%T and to create two-digit  track numbers, enter '01' instead of '1' in the '%N begins with:' field.

On 25.09.2020 22:33, Gene wrote:
I don't see you saving time or trouble.  Don't you then have to rename all the tracks after you save them?  You still have to set all the cue points, then after the tracks are saved go to each one and use f2 to rename them.

Gene

I still see little or no difference. If I used split points, there may be something I don't know that might change my mind, but at this point, I see no meaningful difference between naming something as I save it such as 01 Back in the U..S.S.R. or entering almost the same information using control n at the split point.