my new horse puckies computer

Monte Single

Note, this is just a grind about my new p c experience, delete at will.

Yes Friends,  I lied………………………………………………

A few short months ago I said I would not get a new p c for win11.

Well, I did get a new pc  but not just for win11,  I just had an urgeto buy that did not go away  even after a few sleeps.

It is  an hp pavilion tp01-1009 desktop.

It is fairly low down on the  scale of the latest and greatest.

It has win 10 home,

A s s d 500 gig drive,

8 gig ddr4 2660 mhz ram,

A core i5 10th gen processor and all the usual onboard audio, video, network, wifi and Bluetooth with a standard array of usb ports.

Yes, it is a fairly compact and quiet tower.

This is the first                            new brandname   computer I have owned in about   25 years.

Normally,  I just have one put together from brand name parts  at a localshop;  but in the last while, the price of parts has  been increasing so a brand name box looked like a good choice.

The hp keyboard has 4 keys to the left of the spacebar,  which I did not realize at the time and I was unable to get it narrating right out of the box.

So far, I give h p  support a big freakin fat  0.

I got a frien to help me set it up and that was a trip in itself.

I already have a windows account,  but between all the hoops and hurdles I had to go through and over before reaching the desktop,  I felt like Jobe  in the midst of the tribulations.

It took  15 20 minutes to get to the desktop with all the preliminary mumbo jumbo  and I still don’t know if I have offered my firstborn and soul to the devillllllll.

…and then there was all that free crap to get rid of like, mcaffee,  virtual v p n,  office 365 trial,  office trial,  and a whole truck load of h p “services.

A standard installation of m s win10 home is about 30 gigs.  After removing all that garbage, I am still using 50 gig on a brand new machine.

Even though I thought I got rid of mcaffee,  they still insist on sending me email…  insidious bastards.

The only thing I kept was the 100 gig dropbox account free for a year.

I doubt the first time out of the box experience for the other big name brands  is much better.

More later, I’m sure!

Cheers,

Mont

valiant8086

Hi.

Yes, it is better for some of the other big name brands. for instance, Lenovo doesn't usually stick you with third party antimalware, their stuff is generally just stock windows. Asus is similar.

On 9/20/2021 4:34 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Well, I did get a new pc  but not just for win11,  I just had an urgeto buy that did not go away  even after a few sleeps.

It has win 10 home,

A s s d 500 gig drive,

8 gig ddr4 2660 mhz ram,

A core i5 10th gen processor and all the usual onboard audio, video, network, wifi and Bluetooth with a standard array of usb ports.

This is the first                            new brandname   computer I have owned in about   25 years.

Normally,  I just have one put together from brand name parts  at a localshop;  but in the last while, the price of parts has  been increasing so a brand name box looked like a good choice.

The hp keyboard has 4 keys to the left of the spacebar,  which I did not realize at the time and I was unable to get it narrating right out of the box.

I already have a windows account,  but between all the hoops and hurdles I had to go through and over before reaching the desktop,  I felt like Jobe  in the midst of the tribulations.

It took  15 20 minutes to get to the desktop with all the preliminary mumbo jumbo  and I still don’t know if I have offered my firstborn and soul to the devillllllll.

…and then there was all that free crap to get rid of like, mcaffee,  virtual v p n,  office 365 trial,  office trial,  and a whole truck load of h p “services.

A standard installation of m s win10 home is about 30 gigs.  After removing all that garbage, I am still using 50 gig on a brand new machine.

Even though I thought I got rid of mcaffee,  they still insist on sending me email…  insidious bastards.

I doubt the first time out of the box experience for the other big name brands  is much better.

More later, I’m sure!

Cheers,

Mont

-- 
cheers:
Aaron Spears AKA Valiant8086 - General Partner Valiant Galaxy Associates. "We make *very good audiogames* for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com

Lisa Belville

All that extra crap is called bloatware.� It's why some people just format the drive and start from scratch with a new installation of windows.

My parents bought a dell laptop from QVC a few years ago.� The amount of garbage on that thing was scary, and these are seniors who aren't all that computer literate.

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
On 9/20/2021 3:34 PM, Monte Single wrote:

�

Yes Friends,� I lied������������������

Well, I did get a new pc� but not just for win11,� I just had an urgeto buy that did not go away� even after a few sleeps.

It is� an hp pavilion tp01-1009 desktop.

It is fairly low down on the� scale of the latest and greatest.

It has win 10 home,

A s s d 500 gig drive,

8 gig ddr4 2660 mhz ram,

This is the first��������������������������� new brandname ��computer I have owned in about ��25 years.

Normally,� I just have one put together from brand name parts� at a localshop;� but in the last while, the price of parts has� been increasing so a brand name box looked like a good choice.

The hp keyboard has 4 keys to the left of the spacebar,� which I did not realize at the time and I was unable to get it narrating right out of the box.

So far, I give h p �support a big freakin fat� 0.

I already have a windows account,� but between all the hoops and hurdles I had to go through and over before reaching the desktop,� I felt like Jobe� in the midst of the tribulations.

It took� 15 20 minutes to get to the desktop with all the preliminary mumbo jumbo� and I still don�t know if I have offered my firstborn and soul to the devillllllll.

�and then there was all that free crap to get rid of like, mcaffee,� virtual v p n,� office 365 trial,� office trial,� and a whole truck load of h p �services.

�

A standard installation of m s win10 home is about 30 gigs.� After removing all that garbage, I am still using 50 gig on a brand new machine.

�

Even though I thought I got rid of mcaffee,� they still insist on sending me email�� insidious bastards.

�

�

I doubt the first time out of the box experience for the other big name brands� is much better.

�

More later, I�m sure!

Cheers,

�

Mont

John Holcomb II

So pavilion is HP’s consumer line so that would explain it but HP is bad for bloat.

You got good enough computing IMO.

If in future you want more of a bloat free experience from a big company, consider going with their business line instead. Which is  more expensive too.

Yeah I don’t like HP’s support either.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Monte Single
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2021 4:34 PM
To: techtalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] my new horse puckies computer

It has win 10 home,

A s s d 500 gig drive,

8 gig ddr4 2660 mhz ram,

More later, I’m sure!

Cheers,

Mont

John Holcomb II

Yeah but Lenovo still has some stuff that just duplicates what Windows already haz.
Its not as bad as some others though.
I’ve not used ASUS built computers and didn’t know they built them themselves.
I’ve got one that I had custom built but didn’t know they made them to.
John

Sent from my iPod

On Sep 20, 2021, at 7:51 PM, valiant8086 <valiant8086@...> wrote:

Hi.

Yes, it is better for some of the other big name brands. for instance, Lenovo doesn't usually stick you with third party antimalware, their stuff is generally just stock windows. Asus is similar.

It has win 10 home,

A s s d 500 gig drive,

8 gig ddr4 2660 mhz ram,

More later, I’m sure!

Cheers,

Mont

-- 
cheers:
Aaron Spears AKA Valiant8086 - General Partner Valiant Galaxy Associates. "We make *very good audiogames* for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com

Howard Traxler

Yah, I bought an Asus computer five years ago and still don't have it working.  I made the mistake of putting in a password for startup then can't remember it.  So, I bought a couple of the HPs from Kevin who sells on one of these lists.  Would like to get the Asus running but don't know how to get past that password thing.

Howard

On 9/21/2021 2:58 AM, John Holcomb II wrote:
Yeah but Lenovo still has some stuff that just duplicates what Windows already haz.
John

Sent from my iPod

Hi.

It has win 10 home,

A s s d 500 gig drive,

8 gig ddr4 2660 mhz ram,

More later, I’m sure!

Cheers,

Mont

-- 
cheers:

Monte Single

Hi,

I think that the hp computers  that Kevin sells on the blindadds list all have a fresh install of windows so they do not have all  the hp bloatware.

I purchased a used hp on amazon a few years ago and it also had a fresh install.

So nice to turn a machine and have to face all that garbage.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: September 21, 2021 6:42 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] my new horse puckies computer

Yah, I bought an Asus computer five years ago and still don't have it working.  I made the mistake of putting in a password for startup then can't remember it.  So, I bought a couple of the HPs from Kevin who sells on one of these lists.  Would like to get the Asus running but don't know how to get past that password thing.

Howard

John

Sent from my iPod

Hi.

It has win 10 home,

A s s d 500 gig drive,

8 gig ddr4 2660 mhz ram,

More later, I’m sure!

Cheers,

Mont

-- 
cheers:

Laz

That's correct. I have a couple of desktop PCs from Kevin and they
don't contain any bloatware. If anyone wishes to subscribe to the
BlindAds list, you can do so by sending a blank email message to
BlindAds+subscribe@groups.io

Stay safe,

Laz

On 9/21/21, Monte Single <mrsingle@sasktel.net> wrote:
Hi,

I think that the hp computers that Kevin sells on the blindadds list all
have a fresh install of windows so they do not have all the hp bloatware.

I purchased a used hp on amazon a few years ago and it also had a fresh
install.

So nice to turn a machine and have to face all that garbage.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard
Traxler
Sent: September 21, 2021 6:42 AM

Yah, I bought an Asus computer five years ago and still don't have it
working. I made the mistake of putting in a password for startup then can't
remember it. So, I bought a couple of the HPs from Kevin who sells on one
of these lists. Would like to get the Asus running but don't know how to
get past that password thing.

Howard

Yeah but Lenovo still has some stuff that just duplicates what Windows
already haz.

I’ve not used ASUS built computers and didn’t know they built them
themselves.

John

Sent from my iPod

On Sep 20, 2021, at 7:51 PM, valiant8086 <mailto:valiant8086@gmail.com>
<valiant8086@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi.

Yes, it is better for some of the other big name brands. for instance,
Lenovo doesn't usually stick you with third party antimalware, their stuff
is generally just stock windows. Asus is similar.

Yes Friends, I lied………………………………………………

Well, I did get a new pc but not just for win11, I just had an urgeto buy
that did not go away even after a few sleeps.

It is an hp pavilion tp01-1009 desktop.

It is fairly low down on the scale of the latest and greatest.

It has win 10 home,

A s s d 500 gig drive,

8 gig ddr4 2660 mhz ram,

A core i5 10th gen processor and all the usual onboard audio, video,
network, wifi and Bluetooth with a standard array of usb ports.

This is the first new brandname computer I have
owned in about 25 years.

Normally, I just have one put together from brand name parts at a
localshop; but in the last while, the price of parts has been increasing
so a brand name box looked like a good choice.

The hp keyboard has 4 keys to the left of the spacebar, which I did not
realize at the time and I was unable to get it narrating right out of the
box.

So far, I give h p support a big freakin fat 0.

I already have a windows account, but between all the hoops and hurdles I
had to go through and over before reaching the desktop, I felt like Jobe
in the midst of the tribulations.

It took 15 20 minutes to get to the desktop with all the preliminary mumbo
jumbo and I still don’t know if I have offered my firstborn and soul to the
devillllllll.

…and then there was all that free crap to get rid of like, mcaffee, virtual
v p n, office 365 trial, office trial, and a whole truck load of h p
“services.

A standard installation of m s win10 home is about 30 gigs. After removing
all that garbage, I am still using 50 gig on a brand new machine.

Even though I thought I got rid of mcaffee, they still insist on sending me
email… insidious bastards.

I doubt the first time out of the box experience for the other big name
brands is much better.

More later, I’m sure!

Cheers,

Mont

--
cheers:
Aaron Spears AKA Valiant8086 - General Partner Valiant Galaxy Associates.
"We make *very good audiogames* for the blind comunity"
http://valiantGalaxy.com

--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Player/book Reader, Victor
Reader Stream & Trek, blindshell Classic phone, Bluetooth devices, and
accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121
Personal Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/laz.mesa
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Talkingmp3players?_rdr

John Holcomb II

Have e you contacted MS  about your PW issue?

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2021 8:42 AM

Howard

John

Sent from my iPod

Hi.

It has win 10 home,

A s s d 500 gig drive,

8 gig ddr4 2660 mhz ram,

More later, I’m sure!

Cheers,

Mont

-- 
cheers:

Howard Traxler

No, I've not contacted anybody.  I downloaded a program that created a boot cd that was supposed to give me the option of not having a password.  However, of course, this boot cd does not talk.  So the computer is set aside until I get some geek to help me with it.  But it's already obsolete at five years old.  I think I waisted my money; but it's my own fault.

On 9/21/2021 11:19 AM, John Holcomb II wrote:

John

Howard

John

Sent from my iPod

Hi.

It has win 10 home,

A s s d 500 gig drive,

8 gig ddr4 2660 mhz ram,

More later, I’m sure!

Cheers,

Mont

-- 
cheers:

John Holcomb II

Not so fast.

I’ve got a computer that is from 2011 that works good on Windows 10 so it still might be worth figuring it out.

John

Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2021 12:56 PM

No, I've not contacted anybody.  I downloaded a program that created a boot cd that was supposed to give me the option of not having a password.  However, of course, this boot cd does not talk.  So the computer is set aside until I get some geek to help me with it.  But it's already obsolete at five years old.  I think I waisted my money; but it's my own fault.

John

Howard

John

Sent from my iPod

Hi.

It has win 10 home,

A s s d 500 gig drive,

8 gig ddr4 2660 mhz ram,

More later, I’m sure!

Cheers,

Mont

-- 
cheers:

Carolyn Arnold

Mine is from 2015, but it has 1 TB.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Holcomb II
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2021 12:57 PM

Not so fast.

I’ve got a computer that is from 2011 that works good on Windows 10 so it still might be worth figuring it out.

John

Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2021 12:56 PM

No, I've not contacted anybody. I downloaded a program that created a boot cd that was supposed to give me the option of not having a password. However, of course, this boot cd does not talk. So the computer is set aside until I get some geek to help me with it. But it's already obsolete at five years old. I think I waisted my money; but it's my own fault.

Have e you contacted MS about your PW issue?

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> <main@TechTalk.groups.io> <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Yah, I bought an Asus computer five years ago and still don't have it working. I made the mistake of putting in a password for startup then can't remember it. So, I bought a couple of the HPs from Kevin who sells on one of these lists. Would like to get the Asus running but don't know how to get past that password thing.

Howard

John

Sent from my iPod

On Sep 20, 2021, at 7:51 PM, valiant8086 <valiant8086@gmail.com> <mailto:valiant8086@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi.

Yes Friends, I lied………………………………………………

Well, I did get a new pc but not just for win11, I just had an urgeto buy that did not go away even after a few sleeps.

It is an hp pavilion tp01-1009 desktop.

It is fairly low down on the scale of the latest and greatest.

It has win 10 home,

A s s d 500 gig drive,

8 gig ddr4 2660 mhz ram,

This is the first new brandname computer I have owned in about 25 years.

Normally, I just have one put together from brand name parts at a localshop; but in the last while, the price of parts has been increasing so a brand name box looked like a good choice.

The hp keyboard has 4 keys to the left of the spacebar, which I did not realize at the time and I was unable to get it narrating right out of the box.

So far, I give h p support a big freakin fat 0.

I already have a windows account, but between all the hoops and hurdles I had to go through and over before reaching the desktop, I felt like Jobe in the midst of the tribulations.

It took 15 20 minutes to get to the desktop with all the preliminary mumbo jumbo and I still don’t know if I have offered my firstborn and soul to the devillllllll.

…and then there was all that free crap to get rid of like, mcaffee, virtual v p n, office 365 trial, office trial, and a whole truck load of h p “services.

A standard installation of m s win10 home is about 30 gigs. After removing all that garbage, I am still using 50 gig on a brand new machine.

Even though I thought I got rid of mcaffee, they still insist on sending me email… insidious bastards.

I doubt the first time out of the box experience for the other big name brands is much better.

More later, I’m sure!

Cheers,

Mont

--
cheers:

Josh Kennedy

my laptop is from around February 2021. It is a lenovo, with AMD ryzen5 processor, 256gb ssd solid state drive, 8gigs ram and the processor is quad core with hyperThreading so it appears as an 8core processor. I only get 6gigs of the ram because 2 gigs is for graphics memory. But this computer runs so much faster than my old laptop from 2016 or so. And it is so very quiet and it will support windows 11.