Mystery about an online purchase but a concerning one

Walter Ramage

Hi all.  This is a kinda mystery but I'd say a little concerning although I'm not losing sleep over it but it does show to what extent our personal details are spread far and wide without our knowledge, let me explain.

Last week I purchased the software WALTR Pro.  This programme allows one to put files such as ringtones, books music videos etc. on Apple products very simply without using iTunes.  I bought this programme from Softorino and the payment was done via a payment service called "FastSpring."  OK, so far, so good.  I went to the payment page and the first thing they wanted was my email address, so did that.  The next thing they wanted was my name so I put in my first name.  Then suddenly all other fields were populated automatically with my second name, My home address, my credit card number and expiry date, everything except the security number on the back of the credit card and all details were correct.  I wondered just how this was possible because I have never had any dealings with Softorino nor FastSpring before.  This is the first time anything like this has happened but the fact that such details are widely known is concerning.  Has anybody here encountered such a thing before?  By the way there was no scam use Because I got the activation code and it activated the programme fine and the programme works like a charm, and very quickly automatically putting the right file in the correct app i.e. music in the music app, ringtone in the phone app and audio books in the book app.  Walter.

Sharon S

Hi, I’m pretty sure it is your browser that entered the details. There is a way to delete the saved information and I think there is a way to have it stop remembering them at all. I’m not sure where these sort of settings are but it also depends on what browser you are using.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

[...]

Hi.  Yeh, that appears to be the reason.  I’ll look around and discover just how I deal with that.  Walter.

Hi, I’m pretty sure it is your browser that entered the details. There is a way to delete the saved information and I think there is a way to have it stop remembering them at all. I’m not sure where these sort of settings are but it also depends on what browser you are using.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

[...]

Frank Ventura

Walther, this can also be a function of your browser. Some  store this info to make things easier on you … supposedly.

Sincerely,
Frank Ventura

~Sent from my Apple Mac Book Air~

On Sep 19, 2021, at 5:30 AM, Walter Ramage via groups.io <wpr@...> wrote:

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

I have never seen that, but it would scare me, too.  Is the company you used, maybe a subsidiary of another company.  If that is the case, maybe that’s how they got your stuff.  I don’t know.  Pam.

Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2021 5:30 AM

[...]

Hi.  Not to my knowledge but it would appear that the answer has been given in that it is most likely my browser.  Walter.

Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2021 5:30 AM

[...]

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  If you are using a Chromium based browser such as the modern Edge or Chrome or Opera, just go to your settings, Alt+F, then search for history and cache and cookies and clear them all.  The only setback is that should you go back to a site which require cookies and such, you'll have to reenter all your credentials again.  Cheers!

On 19/9/2021 11:07 pm, Frank Ventura wrote:
[...]

Gene

That won’t solve the problem.  None of those things are where this kind of information is solved.  And it will likely mean that all the sites you are automatically signed into, you no longer will be until you manually sign into again.  In addition, if you use visited links for navigation, you will lose them all.  History is useful if you want to return to a page you went to in the past and didn’t book mark.

For some users, removing these things may cause considerable inconvenience.