Topics

Need basic Windows Laptop Ideas

Lisa Belville

Hi, all.

My sister and I want to get our mom a very basic Windows laptop for Christmas. She's used Windows, but back in the XP days, and she hasn't used a PC since then.

I'm looking for machines that are relatively inexpensive, like under $300 and are reputable brands with minimum specs-- She'll just do basic web surfing, on line shopping, Netflix, and maybe some YouTube and video calling.

I'm looking for something with a full size keyboard, otherwise, we can provide a wireless Logitech one.

I really don't want to pay more for one with an SSD because she's not going to be a power user by any means.

Also, mom is sighted, but would probably benefit from the magnification capability in Windows.  She doesn't need any other specialized software.

TIA for the thoughts.

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@frontier.com

George McCoy

If I were in your shoes, I would seriously consider a Chromebook.

On 11/25/2020 2:43 PM, Lisa Belville wrote:
Hi, all.

My sister and I want to get our mom a very basic Windows laptop for Christmas. She's used Windows, but back in the XP days, and she hasn't used a PC since then.

I'm looking for machines that are relatively inexpensive, like under $300 and are reputable brands with minimum specs-- She'll just do basic web surfing, on line shopping, Netflix, and maybe some YouTube and video calling.

I'm looking for something with a full size keyboard, otherwise, we can provide a wireless Logitech one.

I really don't want to pay more for one with an SSD because she's not going to be a power user by any means.

Also, mom is sighted, but would probably benefit from the magnification capability in Windows.  She doesn't need any other specialized software.

TIA for the thoughts.

Lisa

Mary Smith

I'm going to second what George said. I got myself a Chromebook a couple of weeks ago and I love it. If someone isn't set on getting a Windows10 machine, A Chromebook might be enough to accomplish certain things. Second, you don't have to spend that much on a decent machine.

On 2020-11-25 7:46 p.m., George McCoy wrote:
[...]

chris judge

I was going to suggest that as well however I'm not sure how good the low vision features are and she said her Mom could benefit from magnification. I have a little acer chrome book here. I haven't used it much, I bought it mainly to play with but have not much time yet. I'm not sure how well the magnification settings work, but for someone who wants to do basic web navigation, net flix and other basic tasks a chrome book is certainly a viable option, especially if the user is not married to the idea of one operating system.

Chris Judge

[...]

I think I paid $249 Canadian for mine. It has four gig of ram which is standard, at least it was when I got mine a little over a year ago, and 64 gig of storage. Keyboard has a nice feel with lots of distinction between keys. I should really get off my high horse and learn the dam thing. 😁

Chris Judge

On 2020-11-25 7:46 p.m., George McCoy wrote:
[...]

Hi, Chris and all.

The Chromebooks on Amazon range anywhere from $200 to $265 U.S., so the price is definitely right.  The problem here is she isn't technically blessed.  <grin>  She has a Samsung phone, but she's not proficient with it.

How similar to Windows is the Chrome OS and what kind of screen reader is there?

I'd have to be the one teaching her, so I need something familiar to both of us.

On 11/26/2020 3:36 AM, chris judge wrote:
[...]

Lisa, the Chrome os is different than Windows. There is a bit of a learning curve so you will need to learn different commands. They aren't hard to learn, its just a matter of practice.

Chromevox is the built in screen reader.

[...]

I paid $369 Canadian for mine. It has 4 gigs of ram and 128 gigs of storage.

The keyboard that came with mine is good, however some of the keys are kind of squished together but its still a nice keyboard to type on.

On 2020-11-25 7:46 p.m., George McCoy wrote:
[...]

Gene

I would also want to know what speech is available if I were a blind person planning to use the screen-reader. I would be very hard to convince to get a system where I couldn't use Eloquence.

gene

[...]

Hi.  Yes, there's that. I'm going to be providing the instruction, so access to an OS  I know, along with a screen reader I know with a voice I'm used to would also be helpful.

I've never used Chrome before, just the Chrome Browser for Windows, and that's hardly the same thing.  I know that much at least.

We're looking at possibly a refurbished machine right now.  We're still debating options, but refurbished is cheaper and does not necessarily imply defective equipment.

Also this isn't for a power user, so the latest and greatest isn't

a requirement.

-----Original Message----- From: Mary Smith via groups.io

[...]

Marie

Lisa, there is a guy on the Blind Ads list who sells refurbished laptops at very reasonable prices. He installs Win 10 and will also install NVDA and a Jaws demo if requested. His name is Kevin and if you are interested, I will look for his contact info.
Marie

[...]

Tante Lisa, could dear mom possibly fall in love with a tablet? If YES is a
possibility, I would recommend that you take a hard look at Amazon Fire
Tablets, or a Windows Tablet. The latter, if memory serves, would run a
version of Windows10 and I think this should work for her. Besides, these
will be much cheaper as well.

Anyhow, have fun hiding mom's new toy under that Christmas tree; only tell
her I may show up to ... hmm, grab it and fly away with Santa!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

George McCoy

Kevin's email is nocm@guno.com. I have done business with him for a number of years.  His machines are very reasonably priced and he stands behind them.

George

-----Original Message----- From: Lisa Belville

[...]

Unfortunately, she's not as proficient with touch screen devices as I hoped she would be by now.  She's been using her Samsung Galaxy phone since August and can do the basics.  I want her to have something that looks a bit more familiar, otherwise, I'd just give her my Fire tablet.

On 11/26/2020 7:53 PM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. wrote:
Tante Lisa, could dear mom possibly fall in love with a tablet? If YES is a
possibility, I would recommend that you take a hard look at Amazon Fire
Tablets, or a Windows Tablet. The latter, if memory serves, would run a
version of Windows10 and I think this should work for her. Besides, these
will be much cheaper as well.

Anyhow, have fun hiding mom's new toy under that Christmas tree; only tell
her I may show up to ... hmm, grab it and fly away with Santa!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Lisa Belville

Hi, Marie.  If his Email addy is nocm@guno.com, I believe another lister just posted it. <grin>

Thanks to both of you for the info.

[...]

Steven Johnson

It's nocm@juno.com.

[...]

same Kevin but it is juno.com not guno.com