Topics

need help uninstalling a program

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

I have a program that I want to uninstall from my computer, it's the multiextra program I was asking about recently, but when I try to install it I get this error message:
Windows cannot find 'c:\ProgramData\MultiExtra\unins000.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. It then gives me an okay button but when I hit that the dialogue closes. Is there a different way to uninstall this?

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

Oh I forgot to mention I'm running windows 10 version 1809 and google chrome.

Troy

On 7/23/2020 7:37 PM, Troy Burnham via groups.io wrote:
Hi all,

I have a program that I want to uninstall from my computer, it's the multiextra program I was asking about recently, but when I try to install it I get this error message:
Windows cannot find 'c:\ProgramData\MultiExtra\unins000.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. It then gives me an okay button but when I hit that the dialogue closes. Is there a different way to uninstall this?

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

There may be, but is the program causing any problem or does it just sit there and do nothing? Sometimes, its better to just leave things alone. We don't know if this program is well designed or if it uninstalls properly in general. Sometimes, a poorly designed program takes something with it when you uninstall it that you need.

I have a program that I want to uninstall from my computer, it's the
multiextra program I was asking about recently, but when I try to
install it I get this error message:
Windows cannot find 'c:\ProgramData\MultiExtra\unins000.exe'. Make sure
you typed the name correctly and then try again. It then gives me an
okay button but when I hit that the dialogue closes. Is there a
different way to uninstall this?

Thanks.

Troy

Smiling?

Hit your Windows key and simply type add remove and what should pop up is Add or Remove Programs, hit Enter.

Now select whichever software it is that you are interested in removing, and use your spacebar and Tab down to uninstall (not sure of how many times, but I am quite sure that you will be able to figure it out from here).

I have a program that I want to uninstall from my computer, it's the multiextra program I was asking about recently, but when I try to install it I get this error message:
Windows cannot find 'c:\ProgramData\MultiExtra\unins000.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. It then gives me an okay button but when I hit that the dialogue closes. Is there a different way to uninstall this?

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

Hi Gene,

I was thinking the same thing, it's not causing any problems so I figured if the advice I was given didn't seem like a good idea I'd just give up. Somebody not on the list even told me to just delete everything associated with the program by removing the folders but I was afraid that that might mess up the registry so I didn't do it.

Troy

-----Original Message----- From: Troy Burnham
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 7:37 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi all,

I have a program that I want to uninstall from my computer, it's the
multiextra program I was asking about recently, but when I try to
install it I get this error message:
Windows cannot find 'c:\ProgramData\MultiExtra\unins000.exe'. Make sure
you typed the name correctly and then try again. It then gives me an
okay button but when I hit that the dialogue closes. Is there a
different way to uninstall this?

Thanks.

Troy

Steve Matzura

Since folder and Registry entries don't know or care that each other exist, removing the folders will just clear up space on your system disk and probably remove some shortcuts. If you have any shortcuts remaining on the Windows Desktop or Start menu, they of course will fail when executed, so they, too, should be removed, if for no other reason than to keep you from tripping over them on your way to other things.

If the removed program had file asociations, they will still be in effect, so if you were to press ENTER (double-click) on one, Windows will attempt to launch the program asociated with that filetype, resulting in the obvious error that the program can't be found any more.

The above tasks are what uninstallers do--clean all this up for you--files, shortcuts (which are also files), Registry entries, the works. The good thing is, because processors and memory are fast and cheap, big fat Registries with lots of things in them that one doesn't need are no real hindrance to system performance. True, they take up space in memory and take longer to load from disk when the system boots, but we're talking about a few kilobytes here and there, and a handful of milliseconds in startup time--totally negligible amounts of time and space in the grand scheem of things. So, while it's mesy to jut delete directories, it'll surely get that program off your computer.

Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 7:37 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi all,

I have a program that I want to uninstall from my computer, it's the
multiextra program I was asking about recently, but when I try to
install it I get this error message:
Windows cannot find 'c:\ProgramData\MultiExtra\unins000.exe'. Make sure
you typed the name correctly and then try again. It then gives me an
okay button but when I hit that the dialogue closes. Is there a
different way to uninstall this?

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

It is a bad idea to remove program files in that way. It won't change what is in the registrhy but, in the current example, what if there is a registry entry that makes the screen-reader think there are voices available that aren't. You might move to a SAPI 5 voice in a list showing voices that no longer exist and the screen-reader might freeze. At times, you might remove files and, on startup, you might get an error message about one thing or another not being found. There are times when its better just to leave things alone.

Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 7:37 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi all,

I have a program that I want to uninstall from my computer, it's the
multiextra program I was asking about recently, but when I try to
install it I get this error message:
Windows cannot find 'c:\ProgramData\MultiExtra\unins000.exe'. Make sure
you typed the name correctly and then try again. It then gives me an
okay button but when I hit that the dialogue closes. Is there a
different way to uninstall this?

Thanks.

Troy

Steve Matzura

Screenreaders don't use the Windows Registry to determine what, if any, auxiliary configurations should be loaded. You can test and prove this by creating a config for any standalone program. Of course, standalone programs don't have Registry keys.

-----Original Message----- From: Steve Matzura

Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 7:37 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi all,

I have a program that I want to uninstall from my computer, it's the
multiextra program I was asking about recently, but when I try to
install it I get this error message:
Windows cannot find 'c:\ProgramData\MultiExtra\unins000.exe'. Make sure
you typed the name correctly and then try again. It then gives me an
okay button but when I hit that the dialogue closes. Is there a
different way to uninstall this?

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

I'm talking about whether a screen-reader shows an entry for a voice. How does it know? If there are supposed to be four SAPI 5 voices on a machine, is their any information in the registry that causes the list to include any of these voices?

Whatever the case in this specific instance, it is a bad idea to try to remove programs by removing folders and files. Windows provides a removal mechanism as the proper way to do so and other removal utilities exist because it is generally a bad idea to remove programs jjust by removing files.

Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 7:37 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi all,

I have a program that I want to uninstall from my computer, it's the
multiextra program I was asking about recently, but when I try to
install it I get this error message:
Windows cannot find 'c:\ProgramData\MultiExtra\unins000.exe'. Make sure
you typed the name correctly and then try again. It then gives me an
okay button but when I hit that the dialogue closes. Is there a
different way to uninstall this?

Thanks.

Troy

Steve Matzura

I don't know how it work in NVDA, but in JAWS all those things are stored in a configuration file. I don't use the feature, but I'll create something and tell where it's stored. Of course, if someone already knows, do chime in.