Topics

Need Help with Thunderbird

Evan Reese

Hey Guys,

I had some major problems with the unsupported Windows Live Mail, so I dumped it and got Thunderbird.

I've gotten it working pretty well so far, but I am having some issues with it.

The main one is that I cannot import my messages from Windows Live Mail.

I found some instructions, but they do not seem to apply to my version of Thunderbird.

I was told to export the WLM messages in .eml format, which I did.

Then create a new folder in my Thunderbird Local Folders section and then select it, which I also did.

Then, I was told to right click on that folder and find Import Export Tools. But that option isn't in my Context menu.

So I went out to Google and found an add-on called Import Export Tools and downloaded it.

I couldn't figure out where to put it, and the page where the file was located didn't tell me, so I once again went to Google and looked up how to install an add-on from a file. I followed the instructions and was told that the add-on was incompatible with my version of Thunderbird, version 68.10.1. Apparently, there are newer versions of Thunderbird. I wasn't aware that I was getting an older version when I got it a couple weeks ago.

I'm using a Windows 7 laptop, which I hope to replace in the not too distant future, but I'd like to get my old WLM messages imported before then.

A related problem is that I do not see any way to update Thunderbird in any of the menus.

So you can see, I need a bit of help. <smile>

I'm not sure how old this program is, so perhaps it's not quite ready for prime time yet. Surely, importing messages from other email clients is a pretty basic function that I shouldn't need an add-on to get, shouldn't it?

Oh, I did try to import from the Tools menu, but that didn't work. I only get two choices in there, Becky and Outlook. Neither one of those works.

Any help would be appreciated.

Much thanks.

Evan

Sam Taylor

Hi Evan,

Thunderbird updates itself, and you are running the same version as I am, which is the latest.

You may not have downloaded the latest version of the add-on. The add-on below is from the official Thunderbird addons repository and claims it will work with versions between 60x and 70x:

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools-ng/

Good luck

Sam

On 6/07/2020 7:49 am, Evan Reese wrote:
[...]

Thanks Sam, that did the job.

I must have misheard something, or misunderstood something I heard. I did have an older version of the Import Export Tool. Getting the one from the link you sent, I got my old messages imported successfully.

Thanks again.

Great  list!

Evan

On 7/5/2020 6:37 PM, Sam Taylor wrote:

[...]

Hi Sam,

I'm afraid I have another question.

I want to import my Contacts from Windows Live Mail into Thunderbird.

From the Googling I have done so far, it looks like I have to install another add-on to do that.

If I'm not mistaken, when I click the link to this add-on, called

MoreFunctionsForAddressBook

I have to pay for it. There's a PayPal button at the top of the page.

Do I really have to pay for an add-on to get my Contacts into Thunderbird?

I hope you'll tell me it ain't so! <smile>

It isn't as though I want everything for free, but importing Contacts from one email to another seems like it should be a part of the email program already.

Thanks much.

[...]

Sameer

Hi, Evan,

You need not pay to transfer your contacts from Windows Live Mail to Thunderbird.

1. Export the contacts from Windows Live Mail in .csv format.

2. In Thunderbird, go to Tools & within Tools, go to Address Book

3. In the Address Book tab, go to Tools & select Import.

4. On the first Import screen, select Address Book & go to the next screen.

5. On the second screen, select Text as the option. In the types of files covered in this option, it mentions csv files also.

6. Follow the prompts to complete the import process.

Regards
Mr. Sameer Latey
On 06-07-2020 08:18 pm, Evan Reese wrote:

Hi Sam,

I'm afraid I have another question.

I want to import my Contacts from Windows Live Mail into Thunderbird.

From the Googling I have done so far, it looks like I have to install another add-on to do that.

[...]

Thanks Sam, this is all very clear.

really appreciate your help, and this list in general.

Evan

On 7/6/2020 11:59 AM, Sameer wrote:

Hi, Evan,

You need not pay to transfer your contacts from Windows Live Mail to Thunderbird.

1. Export the contacts from Windows Live Mail in .csv format.

2. In Thunderbird, go to Tools & within Tools, go to Address Book

3. In the Address Book tab, go to Tools & select Import.

4. On the first Import screen, select Address Book & go to the next screen.

5. On the second screen, select Text as the option. In the types of files covered in this option, it mentions csv files also.

6. Follow the prompts to complete the import process.

Regards
Mr. Sameer Latey
On 06-07-2020 08:18 pm, Evan Reese wrote:

Hi Sam,

I'm afraid I have another question.

I want to import my Contacts from Windows Live Mail into Thunderbird.

From the Googling I have done so far, it looks like I have to install another add-on to do that.

[...]

Hello Sam.

I'm sorry, but I am still not getting it.

I did export the Contacts in CSV format, and I did import them into Thunderbird. And something did import. I know because the file with the Contacts that I saved shows up in my Address Books. And I also know that something imported because there were 276 Contacts, and when I tab into that file, JAWS says that there are 276 somethings in there. But I cannot read anything in that list the way I can with the few addresses in my Thunderbird address book, and when I try to send an email with an address that is in there, it doesn't automatically fill it in the way it does with the few Contacts I already have in my Thunderbird address book. So whatever happened, the addresses are not in there, or something else is wrong with them.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks and sorry again.

[...]

From the Googling I have done so far, it looks like I have to install another add-on to do that.

[...]

Oh, I just discovered that if I hit Enter on one of these files in my imported WLM Contacts, I can edit it. But that still does not fix the problem of my not being able to read them without having to hit Enter the way I can the other addresses, and it still won't fill in automatically the way it does with the addresses it has in the other address book. So they're there, but not really integrated with the other Contacts.

That might help you advise me. I hope so.

Evan

Hi, Evan,

You need not pay to transfer your contacts from Windows Live Mail to Thunderbird.

1. Export the contacts from Windows Live Mail in .csv format.

2. In Thunderbird, go to Tools & within Tools, go to Address Book

3. In the Address Book tab, go to Tools & select Import.

4. On the first Import screen, select Address Book & go to the next screen.

5. On the second screen, select Text as the option. In the types of files covered in this option, it mentions csv files also.

6. Follow the prompts to complete the import process.

Regards
Mr. Sameer Latey
On 06-07-2020 08:18 pm, Evan Reese wrote:

Hi Sam,

I'm afraid I have another question.

I want to import my Contacts from Windows Live Mail into Thunderbird.

From the Googling I have done so far, it looks like I have to install another add-on to do that.

[...]

Billy Inglis

                Hi guys, I have a different issue with thunderbird. Wonder if anyone can help.

When I try to access the option menus, the menus come up all right, but there is no buttons at the bottom of the page to save changes you make.

Anyone know what is happening here. I am using the latest version, Billy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

I think you will find the options are dynamic, and save whenever you make a new selection, hence no save button being necessary.

On 7/07/2020 3:30 pm, Billy Inglis wrote:

[...]

Do you know how I can get my imported Contacts to be recognized by Thunderbird?

They were imported successfully, but they're in a separate file, and it appears that Thunderbird does not recognize them. When I try typing in an address in a new message, it is not automatically filled in the way addresses are from my Collected Addresses, the ones I got by simply replying to messages. Also, unlike those in my Collected Addresses, I cannot arrow through them and read their names, although I can edit them if I hit Enter on each one. I can search them though, so it appears that Thunderbird knows they are there, but won't fill them in when I start typing an email address.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Evan

On 7/7/2020 1:30 AM, Billy Inglis wrote:

[...]

Gene

I don't use Thunderbird but I have an old cophy in case I might be able to help. Since you have received no answers, I'll say that it may be the way the information is presented in the file.

You should have seen something, while you were setting parameters to import the address book that told you to use the up and down buttons to make the fields properly correspond to each other between what is in the file and how it is imported.
It appears that there is a mismatch in the Windows Live Mail CSV file I tried and the thunderbird file being created. A llot of my imported entries, when I press enter on them and the information comes up have the e-mail addresses where the last name should be. I didn’t look at the move up and down buttons and the choices enough to help further. You can manually cut and paste information in the entries when you press enter on them to see the information. But I would think and hope there is an accessible way to see what fields correspond to what when you work with the buttons.

[...]

Thanks Gene,

There are 276 Contacts in that file. If I have to check every single one of them, well, that sounds like a great deal of work. I'm going to try importing a VCS file, see if that works better.

I can't help saying though that it's hard to believe that Thunderbird can't import a CSV file properly. I'm beginning to wonder if I should switch to a different email program that is more developed.

I had to get an add-on just to import my messages.

Sure, it's accessible with JAWS, but accessibility without functionality is not very useful.

Evan

-----Original Message----- From: Evan Reese

[...]

hi guys, does thunderbird have any settings to change to help accessibility using jaws. I am using latest jaws version, and find the program alittle sluggish.

On 7/7/2020 11:44 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

As I understand it, the move up and down buttons will change how every addressbook entry is imported. You may be able to delete the addressbook you imported, then import it again and use the move up and down buttons. Others who use Thunderbird may offer information.

[...]

Hi, Sam

Thanks for the extension. It made the task of importing mails from Windows Live Mail very easy.

Regards
Mr. Sameer Latey
On 06-07-2020 04:07 am, Sam Taylor wrote:

[...]

Try the following to see if it solves your problem.

1. Go to Tools & within Tools, go to Options.

2. In the Options tab, select Addressing from the combo box. Addressing is the second option in the combo box.

3. Under Addressing, you will find 2 options related to your problem.

a. Add Contacts to - This is a combo box. Select the contacts file to which you want new addresses to be added. It could be the Collected Addresses file or your Windows Live Mail contacts file.

b. The next option is Select contacts from. This is also a combo box. Select the contacts list from which you want addresses to be picked up. This can be your Windows Live Mail addresses file.

Regards
Mr. Sameer Latey
On 07-07-2020 01:16 am, Evan Reese wrote:

[...]

From the Googling I have done so far, it looks like I have to install another add-on to do that.

[...]

Hi Gene,

I saw those Move Up and Down buttons, but I didn't know what they were for, so I didn't mess with them.

Evan