Topics

need opinions on Webroot antivirus

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

When the geek squad reinstalled windows 10 for me this weekend they installed Webroot antivirus. My first question is if anybody knows if it is jaws friendly, and my second question is do I really need it if I'm running both windows defender and the paid version of malware bytes?

I've noticed that when I either first boot up or if I reboot it actually takes a good bit longer now than it did before for windows to come back so since Webroot is the only new program that I'm aware of I just wonder if it's slowing things down.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Troy

Marco Curralejo

Hi,

It sounds as though this would likely be the culprit.

I personally would remove that and just use what you already have.

Cheers,

Marco

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: Thursday, 25 February 2021 10:01 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] need opinions on Webroot antivirus

Hi all,

When the geek squad reinstalled windows 10 for me this weekend they installed Webroot antivirus. My first question is if anybody knows if it is jaws friendly, and my second question is do I really need it if I'm running both windows defender and the paid version of malware bytes?

I've noticed that when I either first boot up or if I reboot it actually takes a good bit longer now than it did before for windows to come back so since Webroot is the only new program that I'm aware of I just wonder if it's slowing things down.

Troy

John Holcomb II

No!
You don't need web route on top of that, those two you already have is plenty good enough is and is what I put on all of my systems.
I'd suggest looking to see how to get web route uninstalled as it may require a tool for uninstallation.
I'd also be telling that geek squad not to be putting programs on my system without asking me first!
John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 6:01 PM

Hi all,

Troy

Gene

When blind people have their computers worked on, they should try to be certain that no changes in terms of updating anything or adding anything will be made without asking you first.  Techs have no idea what is accessible and what isn't. 

I haven't discussed this much and I don't know the best way to go about this, perhaps some sort of note all servicepeople will see or something specifically given to the person servicing your machine woud be adequate, but I'm not sure.  Perhaps something such as a piece of paper someplace where the tech will be sure to see it, such as on the front, perhaps covering the power button might be a good idea. 

Perhaps you can find out who will work on your machine and talk with the person.

Perhaps, and I have no idea if repair places would agree to this, some sort of written agreement might be reached that if unauthorized changes are made, they will be removed without further charge to the client. 

Others may have experiences doing this and may wish to comment.  Or others may have comments, experiences or not.  I haven't had enough experiences with repair places to make recommendations based on experience other than that I think such an agreement is important.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 5:50 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] need opinions on Webroot antivirus

No!
You don't need web route on top of that, those two you already have is plenty good enough is and is what I put on all of my systems.
I'd suggest looking to see how to get web route uninstalled as it may require a tool for uninstallation.
I'd also be telling that geek squad not to  be putting programs on my system without asking me first!
John

Hi all,

Troy

brian

I only use the windows defender on my windows 10 pc.  Back when I had windows 7 I tried web root and it blocked all windows comands and all screen reader comands.  All that I would hear is the windows ding when I tried to enter a comand.  I don't know if that problem has been fixt or not.  You did not say   that you werehaving that problem so they may have fixt that problem.

Brian Sackrider

On 2/24/2021 6:01 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

Troy

Troy Burnham

I was told ahead of time that Webroot would be installed, but I didn't have time to do any background checks ahead of time because I didn't talk to anybody about what needed to be done until I took the machine to the store.

The agent's big selling point was that Webroot could be used on multiple computers/iPads/whatever, and my mom does have an iPad so I figured that if nothing else she might use it.

When I've had my machine worked on in the past I knew the guy who was doing the work and he always kept me in the loop about what he was doing at all points but he apparently isn't doing computer work anymore.

I'll investigate and see how to uninstall Webroot then, if nothing else I might contact Microsoft disability and see if they can do it for me.

Troy

On 2/24/2021 6:06 PM, Gene wrote:
When blind people have their computers worked on, they should try to be certain that no changes in terms of updating anything or adding anything will be made without asking you first.  Techs have no idea what is accessible and what isn't. 

I haven't discussed this much and I don't know the best way to go about this, perhaps some sort of note all servicepeople will see or something specifically given to the person servicing your machine woud be adequate, but I'm not sure.  Perhaps something such as a piece of paper someplace where the tech will be sure to see it, such as on the front, perhaps covering the power button might be a good idea. 

Perhaps you can find out who will work on your machine and talk with the person.

Perhaps, and I have no idea if repair places would agree to this, some sort of written agreement might be reached that if unauthorized changes are made, they will be removed without further charge to the client. 

Others may have experiences doing this and may wish to comment.  Or others may have comments, experiences or not.  I haven't had enough experiences with repair places to make recommendations based on experience other than that I think such an agreement is important.

Gene

No!
I'd also be telling that geek squad not to  be putting programs on my system without asking me first!
John

Hi all,

Troy

John Holcomb II

Yeah and while you’re at it, don’t bother putting it on an iPad. It is not going to do your mom any service.

John

Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 9:49 PM

I was told ahead of time that Webroot would be installed, but I didn't have time to do any background checks ahead of time because I didn't talk to anybody about what needed to be done until I took the machine to the store.

The agent's big selling point was that Webroot could be used on multiple computers/iPads/whatever, and my mom does have an iPad so I figured that if nothing else she might use it.

When I've had my machine worked on in the past I knew the guy who was doing the work and he always kept me in the loop about what he was doing at all points but he apparently isn't doing computer work anymore.

I'll investigate and see how to uninstall Webroot then, if nothing else I might contact Microsoft disability and see if they can do it for me.

Troy

On 2/24/2021 6:06 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene

No!
John

Hi all,

Troy