They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Mary Smith

I have the same question. I downloaded the new software yesterday but can't find where books are saved.

On 2020-12-02 1:27 p.m., Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I have been a gold member of Audible since 2013. Recently, Audible has disabled the Audible Manager and Audible Download Manager and forced us to use the new AudibleSync. I downloaded and installed it and was able to download a book. Now what do I do? There is no menu structure.  The right click menu does not work.  And I see no way to authorize a legitimate book reader.  Moreover, I cannot find where the books are downloaded to move to my VR stream or iPhone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marie

So far I hate the app. But if you get a book downloaded and can find it, use file explorer to put them on the Stream and the Audible app will download them to your iPhone.
Marie

On 2020-12-02 1:27 p.m., Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I have been a gold member of Audible since 2013. Recently, Audible has disabled the Audible Manager and Audible Download Manager and forced us to use the new AudibleSync. I downloaded and installed it and was able to download a book. Now what do I do? There is no menu structure. The right click menu does not work. And I see no way to authorize a legitimate book reader. Moreover, I cannot find where the books are downloaded to move to my VR stream or iPhone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

OK, I did a search on *.aax on my C drive and I found the download location. This is using Windows 10 latest version.  It is
C:\Users\<computer name>\AppData\Roaming\AudibleSync\downloads.

After you use the clumsy AudibleSync and you see (near the bottom of the screen for a few seconds) download complete, navigate to the above folder and copy the file out of that folder immediately. The reason I say this is that unlike with the audible manager and audible download manager, the title is totally unrecognizable. It is some sort of large number with the aax extension.  Once you move it to an area out of that path and/or to an authorized player like the VR stream second generation, you can play it.

...and for those so inclined, if you follow the above instructions, you can still send the file to inaudible for a conversion.

-----Original Message----- From: Mary Smith via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 10:37 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi Group,

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

I don't use Audible nor the app, but from the little I've read about apps, you very often need to use the touch cursor if you are using JAWS, and object navigation, if you are using NVDA. These methods might make the app far more useable. Those who use the app may have comments about that.

Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 10:37 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

On 2020-12-02 1:27 p.m., Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I have been a gold member of Audible since 2013. Recently, Audible has disabled the Audible Manager and Audible Download Manager and forced us to use the new AudibleSync. I downloaded and installed it and was able to download a book. Now what do I do? There is no menu structure. The right click menu does not work. And I see no way to authorize a legitimate book reader. Moreover, I cannot find where the books are downloaded to move to my VR stream or iPhone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ron Canazzi

Hi Gene,

I tried those methods with NVDA and nothing changed. That is to say nothing was more visible using the review/object navigation with NVDA. Not even the OCR keystroke for NVDA 'insert + R,'  showed anything more.

Interestingly enough, if I use the OCR keystroke in some dialogues--in particular--in the Thunderbird update dialogue, it shows all the text not spoken, but no dice with AudibleSync.

On 12/2/2020 9:22 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't use Audible nor the app, but from the little I've read about apps, you very often need to use the touch cursor if you are using JAWS, and object navigation, if you are using NVDA.  These methods might make the app far more useable.  Those who use the app may have comments about that.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Ron Canazzi

Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 10:37 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

On 2020-12-02 1:27 p.m., Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I have been a gold member of Audible since 2013. Recently, Audible has disabled the Audible Manager and Audible Download Manager and forced us to use the new AudibleSync. I downloaded and installed it and was able to download a book. Now what do I do? There is no menu structure.  The right click menu does not work.  And I see no way to authorize a legitimate book reader. Moreover, I cannot find where the books are downloaded to move to my VR stream or iPhone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

In the past, Audible has been concerned with accessibility. Have people written to the proper department? It sounds as though the app is inaccessible.

Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 10:37 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

On 2020-12-02 1:27 p.m., Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I have been a gold member of Audible since 2013. Recently, Audible has disabled the Audible Manager and Audible Download Manager and forced us to use the new AudibleSync. I downloaded and installed it and was able to download a book. Now what do I do? There is no menu structure. The right click menu does not work. And I see no way to authorize a legitimate book reader. Moreover, I cannot find where the books are downloaded to move to my VR stream or iPhone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

chris judge

Thanks Ron. I have been just using audible sync itself to transfer the books. Having access to the actual files will be a real bonus.

Chris Judge

Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 10:37 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

On 2020-12-02 1:27 p.m., Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I have been a gold member of Audible since 2013. Recently, Audible
has disabled the Audible Manager and Audible Download Manager and
forced us to use the new AudibleSync. I downloaded and installed it
and was able to download a book. Now what do I do? There is no menu
structure. The right click menu does not work. And I see no way to
authorize a legitimate book reader. Moreover, I cannot find where the
books are downloaded to move to my VR stream or iPhone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

chris judge

Ron this is brilliant. I just found the folder and placed a short cut on my desk top to quickly access it. I had to go in to file explorer options first to allow hidden files and folders to gain access to the downloaded books but once I put the short cut on my desktop I went back in and set it back.

Chris Judge

Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 10:37 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

On 2020-12-02 1:27 p.m., Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I have been a gold member of Audible since 2013. Recently, Audible
has disabled the Audible Manager and Audible Download Manager and
forced us to use the new AudibleSync. I downloaded and installed it
and was able to download a book. Now what do I do? There is no menu
structure. The right click menu does not work. And I see no way to
authorize a legitimate book reader. Moreover, I cannot find where the
books are downloaded to move to my VR stream or iPhone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

chris judge

I think there are 2 apps. There is an audible app available from the Microsoft store that isn't much good. I believe Doug Lee wrote a script for it but I haven't bothered. Audible sync is much better and requires no touch cursor. I'll put some instructions together in the next couple of days.

Chris Judge

Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 10:37 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

On 2020-12-02 1:27 p.m., Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I have been a gold member of Audible since 2013. Recently, Audible
has disabled the Audible Manager and Audible Download Manager and
forced us to use the new AudibleSync. I downloaded and installed it
and was able to download a book. Now what do I do? There is no menu
structure. The right click menu does not work. And I see no way to
authorize a legitimate book reader. Moreover, I cannot find where the
books are downloaded to move to my VR stream or iPhone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Marie

The new format is because they no longer use format 4 and all downloads are in the enhanced format, which is considerably larger file.
Marie

Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 10:37 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

On 2020-12-02 1:27 p.m., Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I have been a gold member of Audible since 2013. Recently, Audible has disabled the Audible Manager and Audible Download Manager and forced us to use the new AudibleSync. I downloaded and installed it and was able to download a book. Now what do I do? There is no menu structure. The right click menu does not work. And I see no way to authorize a legitimate book reader. Moreover, I cannot find where the books are downloaded to move to my VR stream or iPhone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Marie

Looking forward to some instructions on using tis incredibly awful app!
Thanks, Marie

Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 10:37 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io