Topics

new computer

Jerry hathaway

I am looking to get a new computer and wondering if this the computer listed below will be a good computer to purchase.

Model: Lenovo M93 SFF Pro
Processor: Intel quad core I7 -4770 running at 3.4ghz and turbo boost to
3.9ghz
Ram: 8GB DDR3 PC1600
Hard drive: 2TB 7200RPM Western digital
DVD+/-rw Super multi drive
Wireless: Asus AC-68 dual band capable of 1.3ghz
USB: 8 ports - 2 front and 6 rear
4 - USB 2.0 and 4 USB 3.0
Dimentions: 13.3" W x 14.8" D X 4" high
Weight: 17.2 pounds
Includes Keyboard, mouse and power cord

Jerry

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

One would need to know the price, as what are "great specs" at one price point are "horrible specs" at another, or at least can be.

My primary concern is the fact that the system has a 2TB HDD as its only drive.  I am not anti-HDD for bulk data storage, but the performance boost one gets from an SSD as the primary system drive is significant.  RAM may be perfectly fine, or you may want or need to expand it depending on what you actually do and how the machine reacts.  It would be worth asking how many RAM slots exist in this machine, and how that 8 GB is split among them.

Brian Zolo

Hey there, Jerry, Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio, feel free to call me BZ, grin!  You’ve got a great machine there; the only change that you might consider would be to go with a solid state drive as opposed to a mechanical hard drive as you’ll definitely get better performance, faster boot time and less energy use with a solid state drive.  That western digital certainly isn’t a bad drive and it’s awesome that you’ll have a dvd drive as well.  It’s getting harder and harder to find dvd drives in laptops anymore.  If you get a solid state drive, go with the 512 though it won’t be as big as your drive on your machine.  The prices on solid state drives are definitely coming down but they’re still more expensive than mechanical drives and don’t give you as much storage though that’s changing and will get even better.  You’ve got a great machine there, have a great day!  BZ!

I am looking to get a new computer and wondering if this the computer listed below will be a good computer to purchase.

Model: Lenovo M93 SFF Pro
Processor: Intel quad core I7 -4770 running at 3.4ghz and turbo boost to
3.9ghz
Ram: 8GB DDR3 PC1600
Hard drive: 2TB 7200RPM Western digital
DVD+/-rw Super multi drive
Wireless: Asus AC-68 dual band capable of 1.3ghz
USB: 8 ports - 2 front and 6 rear
4 - USB 2.0 and 4 USB 3.0
Dimentions: 13.3" W x 14.8" D X 4" high
Weight: 17.2 pounds
Includes Keyboard, mouse and power cord

Jerry

Monte Single

It depends on the price.

I can’t tell by the number, what generation of * core 7 processor?

It says ddr3 ram;  ddr4 has been in use for many years now.

I would  expect a new computer  to have a s s d   drive of some sort.

I would definitely look around and see what is available for the same money.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 08:25 PM, Brian Zolo wrote:
It’s getting harder and harder to find dvd drives in laptops anymore.
-
Absolutely true.

That being said, this is a small form factor (SFF) desktop unit, not a laptop.

enes sarıbaş

Hello,

No it isn't.  This processor is ancient, more than 7 years old. The wi fi module is also out of date, as is the ram frequencies.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 09:25 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
This processor is ancient, more than 7 years old. The wi fi module is also out of date, as is the ram frequencies.
-
An i7, of any vintage, is likely to be not only adequate, but way more than is needed, for home users.  WiFi is only as fast as its slowest link, so depending on what WiFi router you have (and if you're using it), it may make no difference.  RAM frequency, meh.

One must match tool to task, and there are a lot of ancient machines that are still way, way more than adequate for many common uses.  Processing power has far outstripped most users' (including business users') ability to come anywhere near to exploiting it all.

The idea that only the latest and greatest is good is patently false.

Mike B

Jerry,

You are aware that this computer is not the tower type that sits on the floor, usually, but it's the desktop type that takes a lot of space on a flat service of choice.  Just thought I'd mention it just in case you didn't notice the dimensions particulars.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 09:41 PM, Mike B wrote:
You are aware that this computer is not the tower type that sits on the floor, usually, but it's the desktop type that takes a lot of space on a flat service of choice.
-
Mike, this particular model can be oriented either horizontally or vertically.  There seem to be a lot of SFF models that do this.  They put "hooks" on the optical media tray that cradle the CD/DVD on the side that's toward the floor.

Monte Single

Hi Mike,

I know the computer Jerry  is looking at is a desktop model.

Cannot it be used safely  if it sits on its side rather than he bottom.

I have a mid-tower computer which I have on its side instead of standing up.

Yes, my tower  computer takes up more room on its side, but I have my printer sitting on the tower.

I’ve been doing this for at  least 2 or 3 years with  no problem.

[...]

Brian,

Thank you for that information.  I didn't know that they are now made to lay flat or stand-up.  I ran into a couple of really nice computers that I passed on because they were only described as, desktops, without any information if they could be stood on their side or not.

Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2020 7:17 PM

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 09:41 PM, Mike B wrote:
You are aware that this computer is not the tower type that sits on the floor, usually, but it's the desktop type that takes a lot of space on a flat service of choice.
-
Mike, this particular model can be oriented either horizontally or vertically.  There seem to be a lot of SFF models that do this.  They put "hooks" on the optical media tray that cradle the CD/DVD on the side that's toward the floor.

Mike B

Hi Monty,

The only thing that would bother me about laying a tower style computer on its side is the fact that the sides of the tower is where the computer gets a lot of ventilation for cooling purposes.  But, if you're drawing enough cool air through the front and back then I guess that wouldn't be a worry since its been working well for you.

[...]

No problem bro,

Got itcovered.

Before I laid that puppy on its side,  I glued on four rubber feet so there is about 8 mm clearance between the top of my workstation and the bottom of the pc.

We Cool!

[...]

Yo Dog,

I should have figured that you had made sure it has plenty of ventilation so you be cool!  LOL

[...]

Luis Guerra

Hi Jerry, Is sighted help required when setting up a new computer?
I'm asking this question because I to am about to buy a new desktop computer.

On 10/22/2020 7:31 PM, Jerry hathaway wrote:
I am looking to get a new computer and wondering if this the computer listed below will be a good computer to purchase.
Model: Lenovo M93 SFF Pro
Processor: Intel quad core I7 -4770 running at 3.4ghz and turbo boost to
3.9ghz
Ram: 8GB DDR3 PC1600
Hard drive: 2TB 7200RPM Western digital
DVD+/-rw Super multi drive
Wireless: Asus AC-68 dual band capable of 1.3ghz
USB: 8 ports - 2 front and 6 rear
4 - USB 2.0 and 4 USB 3.0
Dimentions: 13.3" W x 14.8" D X 4" high
Weight: 17.2 pounds
Includes Keyboard, mouse and power cord
Jerry

enes sarıbaş

Brian,

I would respectfully disagree. There is an enormous casm between the forth gen, vs 11th gen which are available now. It isn't just a couple generations. Not only that, if you had read of the lab vulnerabilities, spectre and meltdown, and all the dozens of  other speculative execution vulnerabilities after that that got discovered, you will know that intel has been pumping out microcode updates like a machine. As a result, these updates have utterly trashed older processors, ones produced before skylake especially. I/O performance is destroyed, and  from what I can tell at least 70% and up performance losses exist. You can disable these fixes with the registry, to get all of this back,  but  a lag still remains. My i5 4200M laptop processor used to be ok, not good by any stretch, but ok. I could multitask when CPU intensive tasks ran. But now this is a distant dream, and large apps and websites cause lag on this, and microcode updates that can't be reverted are the cause. So if nothing else, I would suggest that the OP   buy a current machine, not only because of the enormous arcetechtural difference between haswell and current processors,  but also because  of the constant new vulnerabilities that are being found and the enormous performance impact these have.  In fact, I would suggest getting an AMD machine to stop this, and avoid a bulk of speculative execution vulnerabilities.

On 10/22/2020 8:29 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 09:25 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
This processor is ancient, more than 7 years old. The wi fi module is also out of date, as is the ram frequencies.
-
An i7, of any vintage, is likely to be not only adequate, but way more than is needed, for home users.  WiFi is only as fast as its slowest link, so depending on what WiFi router you have (and if you're using it), it may make no difference.  RAM frequency, meh.

One must match tool to task, and there are a lot of ancient machines that are still way, way more than adequate for many common uses.  Processing power has far outstripped most users' (including business users') ability to come anywhere near to exploiting it all.

The idea that only the latest and greatest is good is patently false.

Gerald Levy

Although some techies on this list are probably very capable of setting up a new computer all by themselves without sighted help, this is definitely not recommended for a tech newbie.  It is best to have sighted help on hand in case you run into unexpected problems and do not have speech to bail you out.

Gerald

On 10/22/2020 11:38 PM, Luis Guerra via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Yes, there are advantages to an SSD.  But the dirty little secret that nobody likes to talk about is that an SSD may not last as long as an HD.  This is because its memory cells tend to wear out over time with repeated read/write cycles, which could cause an SSD to suddenly fail without prior warning. At least a mechanical HD usually provides some audible indicationof impending failure.  If you are considering an SSD, purchase a computer with an SSD of at least 256 GB that will have enough memory cells to minimize the possibility of failure.  The more memory cells an SSD has, the more vacant cells are available for storage if one of them fails, and the more reliable it is likely to be.

Gerald

On 10/22/2020 8:25 PM, Brian Zolo wrote:

[...]

Hi Gerald,

What makes it worse is that manufacturerers are using more layered nand flash to make drives cheaper, which reduces endurance.  Like the samsung QVO series versus the evo. But if you get a 512/1tb mlc or TLC drive, it is unlikely to be an issue. My newly purchased 970 plus for example has a rated endurance of 600 tb. And you can monitor  SSD relyability via tools like crystal disk info which display smart data. When ware leveling reaches 0%, you can replace it. I have used this 120 gb samsung for almst 5 years, and I haven't had to do this.

On 10/23/2020 5:48 AM, Gerald Levy via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Your information, if it was accurate at one time, and I don't know if it was, isn't now. This article discusses questions you raise about reliability better than I can.
https://www.contegix.com/blog/do-solid-state-drives-fail-more-often-hard-disks

Regarding your discussion of mechanical disks often making sounds indicating impending failure, wile this is true some of the time, relying on such indications is just asking to lose data. At times, disks make sounds after they fail, at times they make no sounds indicating impending failure.

You should have anything you want to lose backed up, indications of disk failure or not. If you don't want to reinstall everything, you should have the system backed up as well as all your data files, such as music, pictures, documents, etc. It makes no more sense to rely on possible indications of failure of a mechanical drive before doing this then to wait for an SSD to fail. The same backup precautions should be taken with either kind of drive.