From: Amy Gordon
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2019 1:32 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] New Laptop

Hi all I currently have a Dell laptop in which I have had trouble with
ever since I bought it about 5 years ago.  It is getting worse so I
know there will be sales coming soon.  I currently use Jaws on my
computer and mostly use it for internet tasks like email, taking
surveys, facebook etc.  Was wondering what suggestions you have for a
new laptop as far as specs and best place to buy from?  Thanks
Amy

Amy Gordon

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so
not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad
definately. One that has long battery life as possable as well.
Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
You don't need a powerful computer. But you haven't said anything about
things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one. are you going
to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size and
weight matter much. Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you care
about that?

Hi all I currently have a Dell laptop in which I have had trouble with
ever since I bought it about 5 years ago. It is getting worse so I
know there will be sales coming soon. I currently use Jaws on my
computer and mostly use it for internet tasks like email, taking
surveys, facebook etc. Was wondering what suggestions you have for a
new laptop as far as specs and best place to buy from? Thanks
Amy

Gene

I haven’t priced laptops for a long time, but I doubt you need to spend more than 500 dollars, maybe less, especially if you find a good sale.  This is just a very rough guessand my 500 dollar limit may be too high.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you may want to contact Computers for the Blind, which other list members can tell you more about.  I think you can get a refurbished laptop from them for something like 150 dollars.  It will have more than enough power to meet the needs you describe.  But whether you can specify such things as a numpad and what kind of battery life you can expect are things I don’t know.

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so
not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad
definately.  One that has long battery life as possable as well.
Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> You don't need a powerful computer.  But you haven't said anything about
> things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one.  are you going
> to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size and
> weight matter much.  Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you care
> about that?
>
> Gene

James Bentley

Hi Amy,

I recently bought an Acer 15.6 inch 4 pound laptop from Amazon.  It is very slim and really feels comfortable to hold in my hands.  It is extremely fast and it has a number pad.  I like it better than any laptop that I have ever owned.  This is my fifth laptop in about 4 years.  Its battery life for me is over 11 hours.  Note, I have my screen resolution turned down pretty low because I do not need to see the screen.  It does not have a DVD reader/burner.  It also does not have an SD card reader.  I have an external DVD reader/burner and an external SSD card reader.  I haven’t needed either in over 2 years.

Maybe there will be some sale  prices next week.  I can’t say for sure.  For right now, the price is $509, plus state sales tax with free delivery.

Here are a few details along with an Amazon  link.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-8265U-Keyboard-Fingerprint-A515-54-51DJ/dp/B07RF2123Z/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TTW0G4ET3D313ZV7XE7D

Product description

Style: Notebook only

Acer Aspire 5 A515-54-51DJ comes with these high level specs: 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8265U Processor 1.6GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.9GHz (6MB Smart cache), Windows 10 Home, 15.6 Inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display, Intel UHD Graphics 620, 8GB DDR4 Memory, 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD, True Harmony Technology, Two Built-in Stereo Speakers, Acer Purified.Voice Technology with Two Built-in Microphones, 802.11ac WiFi featuring 2x2 MU-MIMO technology (Dual-Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz), 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port), Bluetooth 4.2, Back-lit Keyboard, Acer Fingerprint Reader supporting Windows Hello, HD Webcam (1280 x 720), 1 - USB 3.1 (Type-C) port (Gen 1 up to 5 Gbps), 2 - USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port (one with Power-off Charging), 1 - USB 2.0 Port, 1 - HDMI Port with HDCP support, Lithium-Ion Battery, Up to 9.5-hours Battery Life, 3.97 lbs. | 1.8 kg (system unit only) (NX.HG5AA.001)

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so

not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad

definately.  One that has long battery life as possable as well.

Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> You don't need a powerful computer.  But you haven't said anything about

> things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one.  are you going

> to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size and

> weight matter much.  Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you care

> about that?

> Gene

Amy, some swear by HP, others Dell! But as for me, I don't know anymore
<smile;> shame on me, that's not too helpful?

I suggest you try figuring out what you need in a laptop; once you have this
down as best you can, searching things out might be a tad easier.

Personally, I never buy brand-new laptops anymore. I always look for
refurbished ones at giveaway prices. Example: Nearly 10 years ago, I
grabbed a Sony Vaio. Before I did, I always walked away from Sony toys
'cause they're pricey. However, I grabbed what I currently have for $359
refurbished; original price was $899.95! It runs Windows7 64Bit
Professional and will still receive a Windows upgrade if I so choose. I
leave this toy on 24 hours a day, only turning it off when I am leaving town
for an extended period of time. It has never given me grief, its battery is
removable and replaceable solely by me. And, yes, I am hopping off to
Batteries Plus to grab a new battery for this toy, the first since I bought
it. But, Sony no longer manufacture computers of any kind anymore, mobile
technology has cut too deep into that space.

Today, most laptop batteries, even though they may be removable, are not
easy to get to without messing with a few screws. This is good for a
naughty child like me whose fingers never stop or quit tinkering!!

It's easy for me to determine what configurations I hold so dear; then I
frequent computer stores and spend considerable time playing with whatever
they have on display before finally zeroing in on one. I generally buy from
Microcenter; they like to sell me a two-year or three-year warranty, but I
don't ever want one!

For now, please consider taking a good look at amazon.com/ It always seems
to have good price points for everyone.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

James Bentley

Be careful purchasing a refurbished PC from any one including Amazon. I
looked very long and very hard at Amazon certified laptops before I decided
I wasn't willing to take a chance on a refurbished laptop.

Amazon claims that these laptops are carefully examined for cosmetic damage.
Amazon also claims that they thoroughly clean up and test all laptops before
they can receive certification. There were many reviews that reported such
problems as finger prints, dirt, scratches and dents. Several laptops had
been returned from a large company where they had been used for 4 years
before the company decided to trade them in for new laptops. Some reviewers
reported that they received laptops with dead batteries that would not hold
a charge. One reviewer reported that his laptop came from a company who
turned Bluetooth support off in the BIOS for security reasons. Turning that
back on is impossible for a blind user without sighted assistance. There
were several other problems. Again, with Amazon certified laptops. To be
fair, Amazon has a very good reputation for honoring their Recertified PC's
but, who wants to have to box up their PC and ship it back to Amazon. And,
then wait for another PC?

If you want to save a lot of cash, Computers for the Blind has an extremely
good reputation for providing decent desktop and laptops for around $150,
Their PC's come with a legal copy of Jaws and they are reported to stand
behind their PC's. And, the last that I heard, you can request a laptop
with a number pad.,

I do not have their number handy right now but, if you want, many listers on
this list will give it to you.

But, if laying out $500, cash isn't a hassle, I would go for a new laptop.
Maybe a Black Friday sale next week.

And, of course, all of this information is only my personal opinion.
Obviously, others here on this list have had great luck with refurbished
PC's.

Good luck on finding what you want,

James B

[...]

Gerald Levy

I can attest from personal experience that Computers for the Blind stands behind the refurbished desktops and laptops they sell.  I purchased a Windows 10 desktop from them in May, and I had to return it to them two months later for repair because the hard drive died unexpectedly.  They replaced it and returned it to me at no cost, although it took a few weeks.  I am currently using the Windows 7 desktop I purchased from them three years ago, and it has worked flawlessly.  I was able to install JAWS 2019 on this Windows 7 machine using the one-year license that came withthe the Windows 10 machine.  A one-year JAWS license can be used on up to three computers.  You can now purchase your computer directly over the phone and pay by credit or debit card.  A complete Windows 10 Pro desktop system, with a one year license for JAWS 2020, 4 gb of RAM and 160 gb hard drive, keyboard, mouse and 19 inch flat panel monitor  costs $140.  You can upgrade with additional RAM and larger hard drive at extra cost.  The JAWS license alone would cost $90.  For more info:

214-340-6328

https://www.computersfortheblind.org/

Gerald

On 11/22/2019 5:23 PM, James Bentley wrote:
[...]

enes sarıbaş

That is a nice unit, especially  because of the ethernet port  and number pad. The processor is outdated now, but when I replace my five year old laptop next year or so, I want something like this probably, though I would go for an I7 if it was available.

On 11/22/2019 3:10 PM, James Bentley wrote:

Hi Amy,

I recently bought an Acer 15.6 inch 4 pound laptop from Amazon.  It is very slim and really feels comfortable to hold in my hands.  It is extremely fast and it has a number pad.  I like it better than any laptop that I have ever owned.  This is my fifth laptop in about 4 years.  Its battery life for me is over 11 hours.  Note, I have my screen resolution turned down pretty low because I do not need to see the screen.  It does not have a DVD reader/burner.  It also does not have an SD card reader.  I have an external DVD reader/burner and an external SSD card reader.  I haven’t needed either in over 2 years.

Maybe there will be some sale  prices next week.  I can’t say for sure.  For right now, the price is $509, plus state sales tax with free delivery.

Here are a few details along with an Amazon  link.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-8265U-Keyboard-Fingerprint-A515-54-51DJ/dp/B07RF2123Z/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TTW0G4ET3D313ZV7XE7D

Product description

Style: Notebook only

Acer Aspire 5 A515-54-51DJ comes with these high level specs: 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8265U Processor 1.6GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.9GHz (6MB Smart cache), Windows 10 Home, 15.6 Inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display, Intel UHD Graphics 620, 8GB DDR4 Memory, 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD, True Harmony Technology, Two Built-in Stereo Speakers, Acer Purified.Voice Technology with Two Built-in Microphones, 802.11ac WiFi featuring 2x2 MU-MIMO technology (Dual-Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz), 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port), Bluetooth 4.2, Back-lit Keyboard, Acer Fingerprint Reader supporting Windows Hello, HD Webcam (1280 x 720), 1 - USB 3.1 (Type-C) port (Gen 1 up to 5 Gbps), 2 - USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port (one with Power-off Charging), 1 - USB 2.0 Port, 1 - HDMI Port with HDCP support, Lithium-Ion Battery, Up to 9.5-hours Battery Life, 3.97 lbs. | 1.8 kg (system unit only) (NX.HG5AA.001)

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so

not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad

definately.  One that has long battery life as possable as well.

Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> You don't need a powerful computer.  But you haven't said anything about

> things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one.  are you going

> to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size and

> weight matter much.  Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you care

> about that?

> Gene

Gene

Outdated for what or in what way?  Do you mean that it isn't as fast as newer ones?  I would expect that is of no consequence for a user who doesn't use very resource intensive programs, in other words, for the majority of users.

A top of the line computer is technically outdated within months of purchase if, for some reason, you need or want the absolutely newest and most powerful technology.

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so

not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad

definately.  One that has long battery life as possable as well.

Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> You don't need a powerful computer.  But you haven't said anything about

> things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one.  are you going

> to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size and

> weight matter much.  Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you care

> about that?

> Gene

Monte Single

Well yes, it is only an 8th generation I core 5 processor.

Is the latest and greatest 10th generation?

I just purchased a 6th generation I core 5 machine.

I may double the  ram to 16 gig,  but I’ll only do that if I think the unit needs a boost.

If it lasts for 3 years I’ll be laughing as it will have cost me less than 9   dollars a month for a silent win 10 pro desktop.

O m g!! it doesn’t even have  an optical drive.

Myneighbours will be impressed.

Outdated for what or in what way?  Do you mean that it isn't as fast as newer ones?  I would expect that is of no consequence for a user who doesn't use very resource intensive programs, in other words, for the majority of users.

A top of the line computer is technically outdated within months of purchase if, for some reason, you need or want the absolutely newest and most powerful technology.

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so

not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad

definately.  One that has long battery life as possable as well.

Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> You don't need a powerful computer.  But you haven't said anything about

> things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one.  are you going

> to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size and

> weight matter much.  Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you care

> about that?

> Gene

James Bentley

The last time I looked, around 2 weeks ago, Amazon had the same laptop with aquad core  I7 with 12 gigs of memory and a 512 SSD.  It was over a hundred dollars more.

I am still wondering if there will be any Black Friday sales on this laptop.  I guess a person would just have to keep checking every day for a sale.

James B

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so

not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad

definately.  One that has long battery life as possable as well.

Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> You don't need a powerful computer.  But you haven't said anything about

> things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one.  are you going

> to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size and

> weight matter much.  Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you care

> about that?

> Gene

enes sarıbaş

Well I am not most users. This is an eighth gen processor, and the ninth gen, or the alternative canonlake 10 NM, which were released together, bring alot more performance improvements. Personally  I think that holding off buying a new computer as long as possible is a good idea, as the constantly discovered spectre vulnerabilities  are hitting performance very hard.  Moreover, intel has technically been on the same design since Skylake, and hasn't delivered anything substantially new.

On 11/24/2019 2:10 PM, Gene wrote:
Outdated for what or in what way?  Do you mean that it isn't as fast as newer ones?  I would expect that is of no consequence for a user who doesn't use very resource intensive programs, in other words, for the majority of users.

A top of the line computer is technically outdated within months of purchase if, for some reason, you need or want the absolutely newest and most powerful technology.

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so

not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad

definately.  One that has long battery life as possable as well.

Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> You don't need a powerful computer.  But you haven't said anything about

> things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one.  are you going

> to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size and

> weight matter much.  Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you care

> about that?

> Gene

enes sarıbaş

The latest is really confusing. Intel has both the ninth and tenth gen released this year.

On 11/24/2019 2:27 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Well yes, it is only an 8th generation I core 5 processor.

Is the latest and greatest 10th generation?

I just purchased a 6th generation I core 5 machine.

I may double the  ram to 16 gig,  but I’ll only do that if I think the unit needs a boost.

If it lasts for 3 years I’ll be laughing as it will have cost me less than 9   dollars a month for a silent win 10 pro desktop.

O m g!! it doesn’t even have  an optical drive.

Myneighbours will be impressed.

Outdated for what or in what way?  Do you mean that it isn't as fast as newer ones?  I would expect that is of no consequence for a user who doesn't use very resource intensive programs, in other words, for the majority of users.

A top of the line computer is technically outdated within months of purchase if, for some reason, you need or want the absolutely newest and most powerful technology.

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so

not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad

definately.  One that has long battery life as possable as well.

Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> You don't need a powerful computer.  But you haven't said anything about

> things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one.  are you going

> to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size and

> weight matter much.  Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you care

> about that?

> Gene

James Bentley

Unless the buyer needs a gaming laptop or is editing a lot of videos, I can’t believe this laptop is too slow.

I love the way that I can run a virus scan, play music from Winamp, and have half a dozen Chrome windows open while I have Outlook and HJPad all open.

I haven’t used the USB 3.1 yet but I can write a 36 gig image to a drive using moderate compression in about 20 minutes with USB 2, while still going through email in Outlook.

James B

Outdated for what or in what way?  Do you mean that it isn't as fast as newer ones?  I would expect that is of no consequence for a user who doesn't use very resource intensive programs, in other words, for the majority of users.

A top of the line computer is technically outdated within months of purchase if, for some reason, you need or want the absolutely newest and most powerful technology.

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so

not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad

definately.  One that has long battery life as possable as well.

Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> You don't need a powerful computer.  But you haven't said anything about

> things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one.  are you going

> to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size and

> weight matter much.  Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you care

> about that?

> Gene

enes sarıbaş

It isn't slow. But buyers might want a current model of processor to future proof it. This likely isn't an issue though, as Acer probably updated this line with iether a ninth or 10th gen processor choice.

On 11/24/2019 3:03 PM, James Bentley wrote:

Unless the buyer needs a gaming laptop or is editing a lot of videos, I can’t believe this laptop is too slow.

I love the way that I can run a virus scan, play music from Winamp, and have half a dozen Chrome windows open while I have Outlook and HJPad all open.

I haven’t used the USB 3.1 yet but I can write a 36 gig image to a drive using moderate compression in about 20 minutes with USB 2, while still going through email in Outlook.

James B

Outdated for what or in what way?  Do you mean that it isn't as fast as newer ones?  I would expect that is of no consequence for a user who doesn't use very resource intensive programs, in other words, for the majority of users.

A top of the line computer is technically outdated within months of purchase if, for some reason, you need or want the absolutely newest and most powerful technology.

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so

not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad

definately.  One that has long battery life as possable as well.

Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> You don't need a powerful computer.  But you haven't said anything about

> things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one.  are you going

> to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size and

> weight matter much.  Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you care

> about that?

> Gene

Lenron

Future proof is always worth it, at least to me anyways. I need my
computers to have quite a bit of power because I want to game and use
them for music production. I plan on shopping around for a laptop
sometime with in the next year or so. Right now my old Mac book pro
and desktop should do the job for now. The average user can probably
get by just fine with 8 gb of ram. I want at least 16.

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

Gene

If the typical buyer wants to spend more money to future proof something they will probably find satisfactory for years, until they want to replace the computer because of age or newer features, that's their choice, but most users don't need to worry when they buy a reasonably fast computer now unless they dramatically change how they use computers.

Also, in your last message, you said you weren't most users.  I didn't say nor imply that you are.  But saying something is out of date with no explanation may lead some or many people to think that it isn't something they should consider when they might very well find it very satisfactory.

I'm saying that such commments about outdatedness and future proofing should be put in context.  Not doing so may cause many people to think or wonder if they should spend more, perhaps a lot more, money than they need to.

Outdated for what or in what way?  Do you mean that it isn't as fast as newer ones?  I would expect that is of no consequence for a user who doesn't use very resource intensive programs, in other words, for the majority of users.

A top of the line computer is technically outdated within months of purchase if, for some reason, you need or want the absolutely newest and most powerful technology.

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so

not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad

definately.  One that has long battery life as possable as well.

Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> You don't need a powerful computer.  But you haven't said anything about

> things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one.  are you going

> to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size and

> weight matter much.  Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you care

> about that?

> Gene

Amy Gordon

Thanks everyone for your responses. Ended up buying a laptop from
Sams club. Supposedly has a 2 year warranty but have not found any
documentation of that.
Thanks,
Amy Johnson

On 11/25/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
If the typical buyer wants to spend more money to future proof something
they will probably find satisfactory for years, until they want to replace
the computer because of age or newer features, that's their choice, but most
users don't need to worry when they buy a reasonably fast computer now
unless they dramatically change how they use computers.

Also, in your last message, you said you weren't most users. I didn't say
nor imply that you are. But saying something is out of date with no
explanation may lead some or many people to think that it isn't something
they should consider when they might very well find it very satisfactory.

I'm saying that such commments about outdatedness and future proofing should
be put in context. Not doing so may cause many people to think or wonder if
they should spend more, perhaps a lot more, money than they need to.

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so

not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad

definately. One that has long battery life as possable as well.

Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> You don't need a powerful computer. But you haven't said anything
about

> things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one. are you
going

> to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size
and

> weight matter much. Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you
care

> about that?

> Gene

James Bentley

Hi Amy,

If you do not mind shareing, can you tell us a bit about your new PC? Maybe, how much it cost.

James B