From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Amy Gordon
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 7:29 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] New Laptop

Thanks everyone for your responses. Ended up buying a laptop from Sams club. Supposedly has a 2 year warranty but have not found any documentation of that.
Thanks,
Amy Johnson

On 11/25/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
If the typical buyer wants to spend more money to future proof
something they will probably find satisfactory for years, until they
want to replace the computer because of age or newer features, that's
their choice, but most users don't need to worry when they buy a
reasonably fast computer now unless they dramatically change how they use computers.

Also, in your last message, you said you weren't most users. I didn't
say nor imply that you are. But saying something is out of date with
no explanation may lead some or many people to think that it isn't
something they should consider when they might very well find it very satisfactory.

I'm saying that such commments about outdatedness and future proofing
should be put in context. Not doing so may cause many people to think
or wonder if they should spend more, perhaps a lot more, money than they need to.

On 2019-11-30 10:09 a.m., Gene wrote:
I didn't say that. I said that for many people, it won't make enough difference that they may care. I don't. If I write an e-mail, most of the time is spent writing it. The amount of time I would save using an SSD wouldn't matter in terms of the e-mail program opening, it would likely have already been opened for the day or a good part of it,. The same with a document. If I'm working on a document, writing and editing and doing other possible work will take up most or almost all of the time. Whether Word opens in one second or three or four, who cares? Streaming, what difference does it make if the stream starts to play in one second or three? If I read an article online that takes two minutes to read, do I care if it opens in one second or three or four?
Someone who converts a lot of large files to other formats might want an SSD drive. Others who do disk intensive activities might want one. For a lot of users, I really doubt it matters enough to them to switch their current computers.

At this point, I haven't kept up with prices so I don't know if it is worth getting one in a new computer. The way I use a computer, if I can save fifty or one-hundred dollars or more by staying with a mechanical drive, that's what I would do. But not having checked prices, I don't know how much added price may be involved.

Outdated for what or in what way? Do you mean that it isn't as fast as newer ones? I would expect that is of no consequence for a user who doesn't use very resource intensive programs, in other words, for the majority of users.

A top of the line computer is technically outdated within months of purchase if, for some reason, you need or want the absolutely newest and most powerful technology.

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so

not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad

definately. One that has long battery life as possable as well.

Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> You don't need a powerful computer. But you haven't said anything about

> things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one. are you going

> to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size and

> weight matter much. Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you care

> about that?

> Gene

Gene

That's much more money than the typical user would benefit on spending from a machine, SSD or not.  The SSD drive adds to the cost of your machine but most of the cost is the rest of the machine.

I don't know how you use your machine so I can't comment on whether you benefit from such a powerful machine.  of course, people can buy much less expensive machines with SSD drives.

On 2019-11-30 10:09 a.m., Gene wrote:
> I didn't say that.  I said that for many people, it won't make enough difference that they may care.  I don't.  If I write an e-mail, most of the time is spent writing it.  The amount of time I would save using an SSD wouldn't matter in terms of the e-mail program opening, it would likely have already been opened for the day or a good part of it,.  The same with a document.  If I'm working on a document, writing and editing and doing other possible work will take up most or almost all of the time.  Whether Word opens in one second or three or four, who cares?  Streaming, what difference does it make if the stream starts to play in one second or three?  If I read an article online that takes two minutes to read, do I care if it opens in one second or three or four?
> Someone who converts a lot of large files to other formats might want an SSD drive.  Others who do disk intensive activities might want one.  For a lot of users, I really doubt it matters enough to them to switch their current computers.
>
> At this point, I haven't kept up with prices so I don't know if it is worth getting one in a new computer.  The way I use a computer, if I can save fifty or one-hundred dollars or more by staying with a mechanical drive, that's what I would do.  But not having checked prices, I don't know how much added price may be involved.
>
> Gene

enes sarıbaş

It absolutely does make a difference. If you launch firefox 20 times during a session, and it takes 5 extra seconds to to launch, that is a full 100 seconds of lost productivity. Have to add it usually will take longer.

On 11/30/2019 9:09 AM, Gene wrote:
I didn't say that.  I said that for many people, it won't make enough difference that they may care.  I don't.  If I write an e-mail, most of the time is spent writing it.  The amount of time I would save using an SSD wouldn't matter in terms of the e-mail program opening, it would likely have already been opened for the day or a good part of it,.  The same with a document.  If I'm working on a document, writing and editing and doing other possible work will take up most or almost all of the time.  Whether Word opens in one second or three or four, who cares?  Streaming, what difference does it make if the stream starts to play in one second or three?  If I read an article online that takes two minutes to read, do I care if it opens in one second or three or four?
Someone who converts a lot of large files to other formats might want an SSD drive.  Others who do disk intensive activities might want one.  For a lot of users, I really doubt it matters enough to them to switch their current computers.

At this point, I haven't kept up with prices so I don't know if it is worth getting one in a new computer.  The way I use a computer, if I can save fifty or one-hundred dollars or more by staying with a mechanical drive, that's what I would do.  But not having checked prices, I don't know how much added price may be involved.

Outdated for what or in what way?  Do you mean that it isn't as fast as newer ones?  I would expect that is of no consequence for a user who doesn't use very resource intensive programs, in other words, for the majority of users.

A top of the line computer is technically outdated within months of purchase if, for some reason, you need or want the absolutely newest and most powerful technology.

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so

not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad

definately.  One that has long battery life as possable as well.

Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> You don't need a powerful computer.  But you haven't said anything about

> things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one.  are you going

> to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size and

> weight matter much.  Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you care

> about that?

> Gene

enes sarıbaş

The price of an SSD is well worth it. You can grab a 256 gb Samsung 860 evo for 50 or so dollars, which is a high end SSD.

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

Evan Reese

Why would you have to launch Firefox 20 times during a session. Seems like it would be simpler to just keep it open until you’re done.
Evan

Outdated for what or in what way?  Do you mean that it isn't as fast as newer ones?  I would expect that is of no consequence for a user who doesn't use very resource intensive programs, in other words, for the majority of users.

A top of the line computer is technically outdated within months of purchase if, for some reason, you need or want the absolutely newest and most powerful technology.

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so

not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad

definately.  One that has long battery life as possable as well.

Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> You don't need a powerful computer.  But you haven't said anything about

> things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one.  are you going

> to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size and

> weight matter much.  Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you care

> about that?

> Gene

Gene

Why would you launch it so many times?  You appear to be begging the question.  If people find a program takes a long time to open, and Firefox is somewhat notorious for that, common sense would dictate just leaving it opened.

Outdated for what or in what way?  Do you mean that it isn't as fast as newer ones?  I would expect that is of no consequence for a user who doesn't use very resource intensive programs, in other words, for the majority of users.

A top of the line computer is technically outdated within months of purchase if, for some reason, you need or want the absolutely newest and most powerful technology.

Sorry I plan to carry it some but wont be all the time or anything so

not really worried about how light it is but I do want a number pad

definately.  One that has long battery life as possable as well.

Thanks

On 11/22/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> You don't need a powerful computer.  But you haven't said anything about

> things like if you want a lighter computer or a heavier one.  are you going

> to carry it around much or don't you plan to carry it enough so size and

> weight matter much.  Do you want a model with a numpad or don't you care

> about that?

> Gene

Evan Reese

Okay, it may be well worth it to you, but not to me. 256 gigs isn’t enough to store my music collection, let alone my NLS books, among other stuff, so I would still need a hard drive to store that. So I may as well save the money and get the hard drive and skip the SSD. I can get a regular hard drive with nearly ten times that much storage for almost the same price. So the price differential between a spinning hard drive and an SSD for the same amount of storage is still substantial. How much would a 2 terabyte SSD cost me?
Evan

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832