new s s d drive

Monte Single

Hi List,

On July 24,  I had a friend help me clone my 500 gig sata hard drive to a 500 gig s s d drive.

It took more time to get the pc to boot to the new s s d drive than it did to clone it; the drive had about 90 gig on it when cloned.

I have a 6th gen i5 processor with 8 gig of ddr4 ram in this pc.

I am running win 10 pro with latest n v d a.

I have the usual stuff on this pc;  current chrome, office 2016, etc..

It takes about 10-12 seconds  till I hear the win10 start up sound and the nvda startup sound at almost the same time.

I’d say that’s fairly fast.

The drive I cloned has been in use for 2 years  so its got lots of residual stuff on it.

Howeverf, when it comes to starting programs, opening folders,  usingbrowsers,  I do not notice any significant changes.

So I have a new s s d drive on this 5 year old h p desktop.

Hopefully it will last till 2025 when win 10 will, supposedly, cease to get updates.

Cheers,

Mont

P s;  sure would be nice if the weather cooled down a bit;  sure glad I’m not a farmer this year.

John Holcomb II

So one thing that can affect this.
Does your PC support mvME or did you just put a SATA-based SSD in there?
MvME SSD is much faster than  a SATA  SSD drives.
On my ASUS, it supports MvME 2. So when choosing an SSD I can get one that  attaches via SATA,  or one that attaches via MvME. I’m so going MvME all the way for my main boot up drive, and will get  another 14TB internal SATA spinning drive to store stuff.
My case has 10   Bays.
Its an ASUS Sabertooth X99 with a Broadwell chip.
Like you I’ll be in the exact same boat come October 2025.
I’m going to get a 2TB MvME drive for my boot up.
Yes, over kill but I wanna do it once and not have to take this thing apart again unless I absolutely have to for some reason.

I may have to   Pay for Best Buy Tech Coach to do this.
John

Sent from my iPod

On Aug 2, 2021, at 11:01 PM, Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:

[...]

No, my pc does not support MvME  If it did, I would have gone that  route.