Topics

Newline talking bathroom scale help needed

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

Last week Gerald Levy and one other person recommended a talking bathroom scale, it looks like the brand name is Newline from what it shows on amazon. I bought it and got it yesterday but after inserting the batteries so far all my mom and I can get it to do is to say please wait when we tap it, then there's a beep a few seconds later and then the scale shuts off.

My mom has been the one doing this so far so I'm not sure at what point she steps on the scale but what might we be doing wrong? Is there a certain procedure to follow to make the scale work?

Btw my mom says that after it says please wait there's some letters that come up on the display that she says looks like out 2, but she says that she's not sure because apparently the entire letters aren't shown.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Troy

Gerald Levy

First, place the scale on a hard, flat  surface.  Then, lightly tap the glass platform with your foot.  The scale will announce, "please wait".  Do not tap it again, and when you hear the message, "Okay, please step on the scale", step onto the platform and your weight should be announced to the nearest tenth of a pound.  When you step off the platform, the scale will shut off in a few seconds after you hear a single beep. If you are having trouble getting the scale to work properly, try installing a different pair of AAA batteries.   HTH.

Gerald

On 7/13/2020 12:50 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
[...]

Hi Gerald,

When we tap it the first time the voice says please wait, but a few seconds later the scale just beeps and goes off without ever saying okay. Btw it has brand new batteries in it.

Troy

On 7/13/2020 1:09 PM, Gerald Levy via groups.io wrote:

[...]

E.M. Kirtley

I have this scale, and I just stand on it, it tells me my weight. Then it says "ready for operation". I guess that is in case someone else wants to use it. If no one gets on, it beeps and is finished.
You need to try it for yourself. I am totally blind.

Ms. E. Kirtley

[...]

I'm beginning to think that there's something wrong with the scale I received yesterday, no matter what I do I can't get it to work right. I'll call amazon and see if they'll send me a replacement scale.

Troy

-----Original Message----- From: Troy Burnham
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2020 9:50 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Geoff Eden

An interesting line of discussion, as I purchased my scale three or four years ago, and initially it operated as expected.

However now, when it tells me to step on the scale, I do, and it continuously reports "standstill". On one occasion after about 15 seconds of this, it gave me a reading. Subsequently, no reading and just the instruction.

I replaced the battery's, and nothing has improved. Very disappointing, indeed.

If you hit upon a solution, please share it.

Geoff

Sent: Monday, July 13, 2020 9:50 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Steve Matzura

I think the solution is the obvious one--time for a new scale. :-) I just bought one for mostly the same reason. The one we had bombed out on us many many years ago. I alsoneed one with a large-print bright display, so I tried this one from a company of which I'd not heard before. It was cheap enough, I don't need all the extra measurement capacity, but the big bright display is a must for my wife, and the talking part is good for me.

Sent: Monday, July 13, 2020 5:34 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

I'm beginning to think that there's something wrong with the scale I
received yesterday, no matter what I do I can't get it to work right.
I'll call amazon and see if they'll send me a replacement scale.

Troy

Troy Burnham

I just got off the phone with amazon a few minutes ago and they're sending me an address label for me to send the scale back that I believe is defective.

They are sending me a replacement as well and the surprising thing is that I'll likely receive the new one before I send the defective one back because they're sending me the address label through snail mail due to me not having a working printer at this time.

Hopefully the second scale works as expected.

Troy