From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of -Mike B
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2022 7:14 PM
To: TechTalk <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] Notepad Font Discrepancy

Hi All,

In notepad what ever font size I select, let's say 9 as an example,  the font size reported by Jaws is larger.  If I select, 9, Jaws reports, 12, and if I select the font size as, 11, Jaws reports size 15.

Is anyone else having this problem?  How do I get the font size to be reported correctly?  I'm not sure if this is a Jaws or Notepad problem since it does with all my Jaws versions on all operating systems, Win7, 10, & 11.  All input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

I checked this with JAWS and Narrator.  NVDA doesn't give font information in Notepad.

Narrator gives the font size that corresponds to the number you set.  JAWS announces a smaller font size.

Evidently, this is a bug in JAWS and I think you can trust both the setting you make in Notepad to be the actual size and the size Narrator tells you the font is, which is the same.

Gene

On 11/22/2022 7:13 PM, -Mike B wrote:

Hi All,

In notepad what ever font size I select, let's say 9 as an example,  the font size reported by Jaws is larger.  If I select, 9, Jaws reports, 12, and if I select the font size as, 11, Jaws reports size 15.

Is anyone else having this problem?  How do I get the font size to be reported correctly?  I'm not sure if this is a Jaws or Notepad problem since it does with all my Jaws versions on all operating systems, Win7, 10, & 11.  All input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

-Mike B

Hi Janet,

Open Notepad and press, Alt + O, and down arrow to, Font, and press enter.

Now tab through making your setting changes and tab to, Okay, and press enter.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

I haven’t changed the font size on notepad in so long, as I don’t even remember how to check that.  You can give me the instructions, and I will try it on my Win 11 and JAWS 2023, and I will let you know what it says on my end.

Janet

Janet

In notepad what ever font size I select, let's say 9 as an example,  the font size reported by Jaws is larger.  If I select, 9, Jaws reports, 12, and if I select the font size as, 11, Jaws reports size 15.

Is anyone else having this problem?  How do I get the font size to be reported correctly?  I'm not sure if this is a Jaws or Notepad problem since it does with all my Jaws versions on all operating systems, Win7, 10, & 11.  All input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Janet

Mike,

Ok, I opened Notepad, and pressed alt plus o, and I arrowed down and only heard blank, so I tabbed, and heard nothing.  I pressed the application key, and only heard to save or to save as.  This is very strange.

[...]

Try the following and see if it makes any difference.
Press alt to open the menus.
Right arrow to format and press enter.
You are now in a submenu.
Down arrow to font and press enter.
See if you can up and down arrow in font names.  Then tab to see if you can see the parameters for the font you are on.

I told you how to do the same thing as Mike told you but this time, you are opening the format submenu the long way, not using a short cut.

If that doesn't work, then there is something wrong, perhaps with your installation of Notepad.

Gene

On 11/22/2022 11:11 PM, Janet wrote:

[...]

Janet,

Are you running Windows10 or 11?  Changing font in Windows 11 is a whole different set of steps that is totally different than in earlier versions of Windows.  Also, I've noticed after starting my computers this morning Jaws and Narrator are both reporting the same font size but, in Windows 7 Jaws is still reporting the font larger than what's selected in Notepad.

How to change Notepad Font and Size in Windows 11

How to change Notepad Font and Size in Windows 11 article

By default, Notepad uses Lucida Console font at 12 pixels to display texts in Windows 11. However, if you have the latest build of Windows 11, you can
follow this guide to change the Notepad font and size using the new options panel. It is possible to tweak the font family, font size, and style with the
help of these steps.

To change the Notepad Font Family, Style and Size in Windows 11, follow these steps:

list of 9 items
1. Open Notepad on your computer.
2. Click the Edit menu.
3. Select the Font option.
4. Expand the Font section.
5. Expand the Family drop-down menu.
6. Choose a font.
7. Expand the Size drop-down menu.
8. Choose a size.
9. Check the demo text for review.
list end

To learn more about these steps, continue reading.

First, you need to open the Notepad on your computer. Then, click on the File menu visible in the top menu bar and select the Font option from the list.

It opens the Settings panel of Notepad. Here you need to expand the Font section.

Following that, you can find three options – Family, Style, and Size. If you want to change the font family, you need to expand the Family drop-down list
and choose a font you like.

For your information, you can find the change in the bottom section. Next, you can expand the Style drop-down menu and choose Regular, Bold, Italic, etc.

The last option is the Size. If the existing size is too small or big for you, you can change the size as per your requirements. In that case, you again
need to expand the Size drop-down menu and choose a size according to your requirements.

Once done, you can finally check the changes in the bottom section of the Settings panel where displays the new font, style, and size together.

How to revert Notepad font to default
list of 4 items
To revert to the factory defaults, you need to open the Windows Settings.
Therefore, press Win+I to open the Windows Settings panel, and go to Apps > Apps & features.
Find Notepad, click on the three-dotted icon, and select the Advanced options menu.
Next, click on the Reset button twice to apply the change.
list end

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

[...]

I am running Windows 11.