Topics

number of people acceptable to keep everyone unmuted during a meeting?

Sharon Hooley

Hi,

How many participants, do you think, would be too much to keep everyone unmuted during the entire meeting? In my case, I have six siblings and 18 nieces and nephews with their families. I wish everyone could come in at once for conversation as if in person.. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

Gene

I'm not sure what would happen if too many people tried to talk at once. The best thing to do might be to mute everyone, you can do that as the host, then have people unmute themselves to talk and mute themselves after they do. I haven't used this feature, but pressing and holding the space bar is supposed to unmute someone when they are muted and then releasing it would mute them again. So people shouldn't have to keep unmuting and muting themselves, just press the space bar to talk.

How many participants, do you think, would be too much to keep everyone unmuted during the entire meeting? In my case, I have six siblings and 18 nieces and nephews with their families. I wish everyone could come in at once for conversation as if in person.. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

It depends on the group and its purpose. If you are getting together as a family for chatting and exchanging news, then you want to keep everyone unmuted unless somebody's being disruptive. Just ask people to be mindful that others may want to speak too. If Aunt Zelda keeps hogging the mike, remind her gently that little Janet wants to speak. If Uncle Brad starts swearing like usual mute him! If shy Cindy wants to tell about her new kitten, let her do that and tell everybody else to shut-up! If cousin Warren is banging around in the kitchen, mute him, or ask him to mute himself if he's going to load the dishwasher cuz people can't hear. Family gatherings need a moderator with a strong hand on the helm. Hey, if it really gets bad, mute everybody and make them raise their hands.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Sharon Hooley

Oh Anne,

You had a fun way of explaining this, so much that i had to read it more than once!  I like that style of learning things.

Thanks,

On 8/24/2020 5:57 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
[...]

Blaster

Ann totally nailed it, I'll just add this, Most people just don't know
their being rude or disruptive with all of the everyday noise in their
environment. It's just easier to explain that all of the background
noise from all of the participants can make it hard to hear what's
going on, so everyone should self mute and unmute at all times. If you
lay down the ground rules from the start, nobody should feel like
their being picked on.

Blaster

On 8/24/20, Sharon Hooley <shooley42@...> wrote:
[...]

Pamela Dominguez

It depends on how much noise is made, how much background there is, and how good the line is. We did a phone bingo, recently where we had over twenty people who mostly were unmuted. On the other hand, on another call I do, we have less people, but there tends to be a lot of background sound, so we have to keep telling people to mute their phones. Pam.

How many participants, do you think, would be too much to keep everyone unmuted during the entire meeting? In my case, I have six siblings and 18 nieces and nephews with their families. I wish everyone could come in at once for conversation as if in person.. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

https://www.avg.com

Pamela Dominguez

That's if you are using a computer. The calls I have made are on the phone, and what we use, which is google meet, it seems that if the person in charge mutes everybody, that person is the only one who can unmute somebody. At least, that's what he told us. Pam.

How many participants, do you think, would be too much to keep everyone
unmuted during the entire meeting? In my case, I have six siblings and 18
nieces and nephews with their families. I wish everyone could come in at
once for conversation as if in person.. Any feedback would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

https://www.avg.com

Gene

Its much simpler for the host to mute everyone and explain that people can unmute themselves if they want to talk. I don't know what the families are like in this large group, but maybe with babies crying, dogs barking, phones ringing, and maybe doing other things like having snacks, and rustling bags continually, to name things that are likely In large family groups, makes the host muting everyone the easiest thing to do. I believe that that should be the default in the first place. It was the default for Talking Communities. I think the Zoom default is one more example of technology designers putting convenience before common sense and what would be the best benefit to users.

All the host has to do is explain at the start of the meeting that she has muted everyone and that they can unmute themselves or temporarily unmute themselves by pressing and holding the space bar to talk.

[...]

The thing I don't like about automatic muting and then allowing unmuting one at a time is that it makes me feel isolated. I agree that if someone is making noise, I would ask him or her to mute or I do that, and if it was for business, I'd want to mute automatically at the beginning, but in a casual setting, I like the environment to be as realistic as long as we can each be heard, with a bunch of people laughing at a joke and a little bit of cutting in, like being in a room in person.

www.CochlearAmericas.com

-----Original Message----- From: Blaster
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 8:49 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

[...]

There is a specifric command for ;phone users to unmute themselves. And I think they can do so, just as they can with a computer. I don't know that because I haven't specifically searched for answers to the question but that is by far the likely state of things. Why would the designers place phone users at a disadvantage?

How many participants, do you think, would be too much to keep everyone
unmuted during the entire meeting? In my case, I have six siblings and 18
nieces and nephews with their families. I wish everyone could come in at
once for conversation as if in person.. Any feedback would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

https://www.avg.com

Pamela Dominguez

The command is star 6. But when I was in the class on Friday, the guy said he didn't want to mute everybody, because if he did that, we couldn't unmute ourselves. So, he kept saying that somebody was making noise and that person should mute themselves. Star 6 is a toggle. I had never before heard that if the head person mutes everybody, only that person can unmute people, so that was a surprise to me. Pam.

How many participants, do you think, would be too much to keep everyone
unmuted during the entire meeting? In my case, I have six siblings and 18
nieces and nephews with their families. I wish everyone could come in at
once for conversation as if in person.. Any feedback would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

https://www.avg.com

Gene

I don't know anything about how much the person knows or how reliable he is in what he says about technical matters. Also, if someone tells me something that is likely to be illogical, I'm skeptical. In this case, what you were told appears to be illogical. Why would there be an unmute command if you can't unmute yourself? It might be objected that the command only works by phone if you mute yourself but that would be a completely illogical design. Of course, somethimes a program is illogically designed but that isn't the usual case.

How many participants, do you think, would be too much to keep everyone
unmuted during the entire meeting? In my case, I have six siblings and 18
nieces and nephews with their families. I wish everyone could come in at
once for conversation as if in person.. Any feedback would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

https://www.avg.com

Pamela Dominguez

There is an unmute because it works when you mute yourself. There have been people who have tried to unmute them selves, and finally, they either called back or got unmuted and said they were trying to get heard, and we didn't hear them for minutes and minutes. Pam.

How many participants, do you think, would be too much to keep everyone
unmuted during the entire meeting? In my case, I have six siblings and 18
nieces and nephews with their families. I wish everyone could come in at
once for conversation as if in person.. Any feedback would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

https://www.avg.com

Gene

We don't know why. As I said, what sense does it make for a company to design a system where phone users are at a disadvantage? There are, doubtless, a lot of people who join meetings by phone for various reasons.

Also, there is a raise the hand command that you can do by phone. It is my understanding that if a host mutes the whole room, you can unmute yourself and talk. However, perhaps there is a way that the host can mute everyone where he has to recognize anyone who wishes to speak, requiring that a hand be raised.

Perhaps we will get more information.

How many participants, do you think, would be too much to keep everyone
unmuted during the entire meeting? In my case, I have six siblings and 18
nieces and nephews with their families. I wish everyone could come in at
once for conversation as if in person.. Any feedback would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

https://www.avg.com

Gene

And just as I thought, there are different degrees of muting.
https://smartphones.gadgethacks.com/how-to/8-different-ways-mute-someone-zoom-thats-disturbing-your-video-meeting-0283447/

Option 2: Mute All Participants' Microphones
A harsher, but more permanent solution, to cutting off someone's audio is to just mute every single participant in your meeting. Although it does stop all sound from working (except your own), none of the participants can unmute their microphone, unlike in the previous option.
In a meeting, go into "Participants" and look at the bottom of the screen. You'll see several options you can choose. Tap on "Mute All," and a pop-up will appear. On it, uncheck the circle next to "Allow participants unmute themselves" and tap on "Mute All" once again. If you want to open up

I haven't looked to see if phone participants can unmute themselves if people on computers can, I may check. But in the case you are discussing, were people using computers able to unmute themselves and only phone participants unable to?

How many participants, do you think, would be too much to keep everyone
unmuted during the entire meeting? In my case, I have six siblings and 18
nieces and nephews with their families. I wish everyone could come in at
once for conversation as if in person.. Any feedback would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

https://www.avg.com

Carolyn Arnold

I think that is right on Google Meet. We used to use that at
church, but use Zoom now.

How many participants, do you think, would be too much to
keep everyone unmuted during the entire meeting? In my
case, I have six siblings and 18 nieces and nephews with
their families. I wish everyone could come in at once for
conversation as if in person.. Any feedback would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

https://www.avg.com

Carolyn Arnold

On Zoom, the Mute toggle is Star 6.

How many participants, do you think, would be too much to
keep everyone unmuted during the entire meeting? In my
case, I have six siblings and 18 nieces and nephews with
their families. I wish everyone could come in at once for
conversation as if in person.. Any feedback would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

https://www.avg.com

Pamela Dominguez

I'm told the raise the hand thing only works on something that's video. Pam.

How many participants, do you think, would be too much to keep everyone
unmuted during the entire meeting? In my case, I have six siblings and 18
nieces and nephews with their families. I wish everyone could come in at
once for conversation as if in person.. Any feedback would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

https://www.avg.com

joseph hudson <jhud7789@...>

Actually that's not true. I want to go to webinar meetings in those don't have video and they have a raise hand functionality. And sodas zoom. With or without video on. So I recommend that whoever you heard that from do some deep checking as to what they're telling you.

-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 1:06 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

-----Original Message----- From: Pamela Dominguez