NVDA 2020 question

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

I have NVDA 2020, I’m confused. I don’t know NVDA’s terminology, I’m assuming browse mode?

Every time I am on the internet, chrome in this case, I cannot down or up arrow. What’s the issue?

Thank you!

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

Nimer Jaber

Press insert+space until you hear a beep. Also, I recommend you update NVDA.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Stupid question, I can still update it if it’s the portable version?

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

Press insert+space until you hear a beep. Also, I recommend you update NVDA.

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 1:58 PM Kimsan via groups.io <kimsansong=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have NVDA 2020, I’m confused. I don’t know NVDA’s terminology, I’m assuming browse mode?

Every time I am on the internet, chrome in this case, I cannot down or up arrow. What’s the issue?

Thank you!

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

Gene

Try using NVDA space when on a web page.  Because of default settings, you will hear a sound when you switch modes, one sound for browse mode and the other for focus mode.  Try up and down arrowing after you issue the command and see what happens.  Then, if you can’t move, try the command again and try arrowing.

Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 3:58 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] NVDA 2020 question

I have NVDA 2020, I’m confused. I don’t know NVDA’s terminology, I’m assuming browse mode?

Every time I am on the internet, chrome in this case, I cannot down or up arrow. What’s the issue?

Thank you!

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

Gene

If using the command NVDA space works, go into browse mode settings, control NVDA b and tab to Enable browse mode on page load.  It’s a check box.  Check it with the space bar.  That will eliminate the problem.

The setting is on by default so you shouldn’t have the problem if you install or make portable copies in the future.

Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 3:58 PM

I have NVDA 2020, I’m confused. I don’t know NVDA’s terminology, I’m assuming browse mode?

Every time I am on the internet, chrome in this case, I cannot down or up arrow. What’s the issue?

Thank you!

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Yo Dog,

In NVDA when you're in Browse mode this is like using the virtual cursor or when forms mode is inactive with Jaws.

When in Focus mode in NVDA this is like using the PC cursor or when forms mode active with Jaws.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 1:58 PM

I have NVDA 2020, I’m confused. I don’t know NVDA’s terminology, I’m assuming browse mode?

Every time I am on the internet, chrome in this case, I cannot down or up arrow. What’s the issue?

Thank you!

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Thank you Gene, mike and everyone else.

I’m able to down arrow now, and not just tab. I did the CTRL NVDA B and checked  the enable browse mode after page loads and all is good.

Mike, thank you for the explanation about focus mode etc.

I have not used NVDA in several years so I’m just thrown off a bit.

I just noticed that it says right tick, for an apostrophy haha.

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 3:58 PM

I have NVDA 2020, I’m confused. I don’t know NVDA’s terminology, I’m assuming browse mode?

Every time I am on the internet, chrome in this case, I cannot down or up arrow. What’s the issue?

Thank you!

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

Quentin Christensen

Glad you got the answer!  If you are coming back to NVDA from Jaws, then you might also find the Switching from Jaws to NVDA guide useful: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA

Otherwise, if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.  There is also an NVDA email group at: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda if you are interested.
Kind regards

Quentin.

Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 3:58 PM

I have NVDA 2020, I’m confused. I don’t know NVDA’s terminology, I’m assuming browse mode?

Every time I am on the internet, chrome in this case, I cannot down or up arrow. What’s the issue?

Thank you!

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

I’ll take a look at this over the weekend.

I’m hoping to learn about what jaws says the jaws curser, or route jaws to pc, whatever the equivalent is to NVDA.

Does NVDA have a command like screen shade? I don’t want anyone seeing what I’m doing when using my laptop.

I’m not sure which function key does it on my new hp.

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 3:58 PM

I have NVDA 2020, I’m confused. I don’t know NVDA’s terminology, I’m assuming browse mode?

Every time I am on the internet, chrome in this case, I cannot down or up arrow. What’s the issue?

Thank you!

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

There is a section on that in the guide - there isn't an exact correlation to the Jaws cursor, but several commands depending on exactly where you are / what you are trying to do.

With screen shade, yes, we call it screen curtain.  You can activate it from the NVDA settings.  We did include the ability to activate it with a gesture, but there isn't one assigned.  I included the steps for that and more information in our In-Process blog when we first introduced the feature here: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-19th-february-2020/#ScreenCurtain

Kind regards

Quentin.