NVDA Help Please.

Janet

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please tell me how to read word by word using NVDA screen reader? I know I can use the right arrow to read character by character, just not reading the words.

Thank you in advance.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

Jujube

It's control+left/right arrow, just like other screen readers such as JAWS.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:04 PM Janet <janet.harvard@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please tell me how to read word by word using NVDA screen reader? I know I can use the right arrow to read character by character, just not reading the words.

Thank you in advance.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

Janet

Hi,

Thank you for this.  I always used insert and right arrow to read word by word using JAWS though.

Thank you again.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

It's control+left/right arrow, just like other screen readers such as JAWS.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:04 PM Janet <janet.harvard@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please tell me how to read word by word using NVDA screen reader? I know I can use the right arrow to read character by character, just not reading the words.

Thank you in advance.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

Gene

Use control left or control right arrow.

Can someone please tell me how to read word by word using NVDA screen reader? I know I can use the right arrow to read character by character, just not reading the words.

Thank you in advance.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

Gene

Except that JAWS allows use of the Numpad for this, using numpad insert left and numpad insert right arrow.  That is likely the reason the question was asked.

It's control+left/right arrow, just like other screen readers such as JAWS.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:04 PM Janet <janet.harvard@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please tell me how to read word by word using NVDA screen reader? I know I can use the right arrow to read character by character, just not reading the words.

Thank you in advance.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

Jujube

In NVDA, if you're using laptop layout, you can also hold down control NVDA left/right arrow to move by word, but that's using the review cursor, but for most text review situations, the review cursor is not necessary. NVDA+left/right arrows reads by character via review cursor. Hope this helps.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:23 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
Except that JAWS allows use of the Numpad for this, using numpad insert left and numpad insert right arrow.  That is likely the reason the question was asked.

It's control+left/right arrow, just like other screen readers such as JAWS.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:04 PM Janet <janet.harvard@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please tell me how to read word by word using NVDA screen reader? I know I can use the right arrow to read character by character, just not reading the words.

Thank you in advance.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

Carolyn Arnold

With JAWS, it is just Control + Right Arrow.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:04 PM Janet <janet.harvard@outlook.com <mailto:janet.harvard@outlook.com> > wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please tell me how to read word by word using NVDA screen reader? I know I can use the right arrow to read character by character, just not reading the words.

Thank you in advance.

Janet

Carolyn Arnold

Insert + Right Arrow with JAWS is giving me a character at a
time, while Control + Right Arrow does words. Control+ Up
Arrow reads line above: Control+ Num Lock 5, current line;
Control+ Down Arrow reads line below - all of that is with
JAWS.

Thank you for this. I always used insert and right arrow to
read word by word using JAWS though.

Thank you again.

Janet

Sent from Mail
<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
Windows

It's control+left/right arrow, just like other screen
readers such as JAWS.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:04 PM Janet
<janet.harvard@outlook.com
<mailto:janet.harvard@outlook.com> > wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please tell me how to read word by word
using NVDA screen reader? I know I can use the right arrow
to read character by character, just not reading the words.

Thank you in advance.

Janet

Sent from Mail
<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
Windows

Carolyn Arnold

With JAWS, Insert + Num Lock 5 reads a word.

Except that JAWS allows use of the Numpad for this, using numpad insert left and numpad insert right arrow. That is likely the reason the question was asked.

It's control+left/right arrow, just like other screen readers such as JAWS.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:04 PM Janet <janet.harvard@outlook.com <mailto:janet.harvard@outlook.com> > wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please tell me how to read word by word using NVDA screen reader? I know I can use the right arrow to read character by character, just not reading the words.

Thank you in advance.

Janet

Insert numpad 5, not numlock.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 4:58 PM

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:04 PM Janet <janet.harvard@... <mailto:janet.harvard@...> > wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please tell me how to read word by word using NVDA screen reader? I know I can use the right arrow to read character by character, just not reading the words.

Thank you in advance.

Janet

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>  for Windows

Gene

I don’t know what command you are using.  This is a numpad command, numpad insert, numpad right arrow.

<mailto:janet.harvard@...> > wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please tell me how to read word by word
using NVDA screen reader? I know I can use the right arrow
to read character by character, just not reading the words.

Thank you in advance.

Janet

Sent from Mail
<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>  for
Windows

Carolyn Arnold

OK, yes, Num Pad, not Lock, thanks.

With JAWS, Insert + Num Lock 5 reads a word.

Except that JAWS allows use of the Numpad for this, using numpad insert left and numpad insert right arrow. That is likely the reason the question was asked.

It's control+left/right arrow, just like other screen readers such as JAWS.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:04 PM Janet <janet.harvard@outlook.com <mailto:janet.harvard@outlook.com> > wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please tell me how to read word by word using NVDA screen reader? I know I can use the right arrow to read character by character, just not reading the words.

Thank you in advance.

Janet

Janet

Hi Carolyn,

Insert plus right arrow reads word by word.  Right arrow reads letter by letter.  This has been ever since I’ve been using JAWS.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

<mailto:janet.harvard@...> > wrote:

        Hi Everyone,

        Can someone please tell me how to read word by word
using NVDA screen reader? I know I can use the right arrow
to read character by character, just not reading the words.

        Thank you in advance.

        Janet

        Sent from Mail
<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>  for
Windows

Dave

To read each word in a Sentence, press the CTRL and either left or right Arrow keys.

On 11/23/2021 2:03 PM, Janet wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please tell me how to read word by word using NVDA screen reader? I know I can use the right arrow to read character by character, just not reading the words.

Thank you in advance.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

Carolyn Arnold

Oh, it does using the Numb Lock; using Insert on the Numb
Lock and Right Arrow to the left is character. I'm never too
old to learn, and probably this is not helpful with NVDA, so
thanks for your forbearance.