NVDA is able to simulate the temporary place markers?

Pablo Morales

Hello all,

My apologies for the NVDA users, I am not familiar with the NVDA terminology.

Is there a way to replicate the functionality of the temporary place marker with NVDA?

For those who are not using jaws, I am trying to select and copy parts of a web page as sighted people does with the mouse. Is NVDA able to do that?

Thanks in advance,

Pablo

Jujube

Hello, you need to install an addon in order to get temporary place markers, press nvda shift control k to add a place marker, nvda k to move forward one marker and nvda shift k to move back. Hope this helps. https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/placeMarkers.en.html

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 9:21 PM Pablo Morales <pablocmd2014@...> wrote:

Hello all,

My apologies for the NVDA users, I am not familiar with the NVDA terminology.

Is there a way to replicate the functionality of the temporary place marker with NVDA?

For those who are not using jaws, I am trying to select and copy parts of a web page as sighted people does with the mouse. Is NVDA able to do that?

Thanks in advance,

Pablo

Pablo Morales

Hello Jujube,

Thank you for your quick feedback.

I took a look on this ad before and I found that it is great to create bookmarks on web pages. I might missed understood, but it is what I found. However, I am trying to select portions of a web page. The guys of FS uses a temporary place marker since it is used only to specify a beginning point to select text. Some times we need to select large parts of a web site and navigate holding down the shift key could be hard. The temporary place markers are deleted As soon as you move away from that page

The best,

Pablo

Hello, you need to install an addon in order to get temporary place markers, press nvda shift control k to add a place marker, nvda k to move forward one marker and nvda shift k to move back. Hope this helps. https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/placeMarkers.en.html

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 9:21 PM Pablo Morales <pablocmd2014@...> wrote:

Hello all,

My apologies for the NVDA users, I am not familiar with the NVDA terminology.

Is there a way to replicate the functionality of the temporary place marker with NVDA?

For those who are not using jaws, I am trying to select and copy parts of a web page as sighted people does with the mouse. Is NVDA able to do that?

Thanks in advance,

Pablo

Jujube

Hi Pablo, the addon should do more or less what you're asking. That being said, you'll still have to hold shift down to select part of a webpage even if you start selecting from a place marker. Perhaps JAWS has a feature that let's you select text situated between two place markers. I don't think this addon can do specifically that, but at least you get temporary place markers. Hope this helps.

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 9:51 PM Pablo Morales <pablocmd2014@...> wrote:

[...]

Gene

You don’t need an add-on nor do you need to use temporary place markers.  You can mark text using NVDA review keys in the following manner:
You can move around in the text to where you want to begin using review keys but I’ll not go into that here.

Move to where you want to start selecting text by moving as you would in a web page with the usual navigation commands, up and down arrow, move by word, by carachter, however you want to move.  Once at the start point, issue the command NVDA key f9.
You will hear start marker set.
then move using numpad 9 to move down by line, and if you move too far, use numpad 7 to move up by line.
Use numpad 6 to move forward by word and numpad 4 to move back.
Use numpad 3 to move forward by carachter and numpad 1 to move back.
When you are at the end of what you want to select, press NVDA key f10 quickly twice.  You have now copied the text to the clipboard between where you set the start marker and where you stopped moving.

Hello, you need to install an addon in order to get temporary place markers, press nvda shift control k to add a place marker, nvda k to move forward one marker and nvda shift k to move back. Hope this helps. https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/placeMarkers.en.html

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 9:21 PM Pablo Morales <pablocmd2014@...> wrote:

Hello all,

My apologies for the NVDA users, I am not familiar with the NVDA terminology.

Is there a way to replicate the functionality of the temporary place marker with NVDA?

For those who are not using jaws, I am trying to select and copy parts of a web page as sighted people does with the mouse. Is NVDA able to do that?

Thanks in advance,

Pablo

chris judge

I think it requires an add on.