Topics

NVDA is Growing up

Dave

Yes, I too now use NVDA probably 80 percent of the time.  Still have
JAWS, and probably will have since the yearly upgrades are not super
expensive.

JAWS still reads one program I use all the time better than NVDA.

But to Write emails and do other things, I find NVDA works quite well.

I use Excel, and NVDA works better for me than JAWS.

Especially if you are creating Spread Sheets and writing Formulas.

NVDA has been on my System for a number of years now, mostly used in
case Window Eyes, or then Jaws might fail.  In the last year, I started
having issues with JAWS, and their Tech people couldn't figure out the
problem, so NVDA has become my Go To Screen Reader program for the daily
stuff.

I use the voice named David.

Grumpy Dave

Quentin Christensen

Thanks Dave!

Out of curiosity, what is the one program you use all the time which Jaws works better with?  Just so I can make sure we have issues captured on our issue tracker.  (If you'd like, you are most welcome to record any issues directly on https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

enes sarıbaş

Hello Quentin,

There are also two issues I noticed that are of notable annoyance that do not occur with jaws.

1. In finereader15, but also older versions, in the main window, when arrowing through the menu, for example, alt f for file, there is a multisecond delay that is not the case with Jaws.

2. in a website that brings up results as you type into an editable field, e.g, the instacart search, NVDA causes CPU spikes in its own process as well as firefox, and causes extreme lag.

It would be very good if these two problems could be fixed.

[...]

I don't have an answer to either, but I will follow up in the morning for you Enes.

Quentin.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 6:48 PM enes sarıbaş <enes.saribas@...> wrote:

[...]

The Program that NVDA does not read well is called PC Study Bible, made by Biblesoft.

It been around sine the late 1980's, and is still around today.

NVDA reads a lot of things, but for some reason, does not read the window where the Text from the Bible and all other Reference Books are displayed.

NVDA reads most other areas in the program better than Jaws, but these main display windows within this program, for what ever reason, are not read.

It's been a while, but I think these windows can be read by using the Mouse, which doesn't help when trying to do any sort of research.

Grumpy Dave

[...]

I'm not familiar with the Biblesoft PC Study Bible.  Last time someone asked me about accessible Bible software though, I did collate this list from other conversations on the topic.  If anyone finds any of these useful (or any which are no longer accessible) or any others not listed here, do please let me know:

YouVersion bible: https://www.youversion.com/the-bible-app/
Bible Gateway: https://www.biblegateway.com/
Bible Seeker: https://bible_seeker.en.downloadastro.com/ (apparently the search isn't very accessible though)
Theophilos: http://www.theophilos.com/
http://www.optasiaministry.org/
e-Sword: https://www.e-sword.net/ (possibly not completely accessible?)

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 12:23 AM Dave <dlh007@...> wrote:

[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Quentin,

Bible Seeker is very accessible with JAWS and NVDA.
If you download all the add ons (Bible versions) I believe there are 9 in total.

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"