NVDA password echo

Angelo Sonnesso

I am working with a newly blinded individual who has some difficulty with accurate typing.

Is there any way to echo key strokes  in a password field with NVDA?

Thanks

73 N2DYN Angelo

Abbie Taylor

Unfortunately, no screen reader I've ever used has a way to echo a password. I'm assuming this is for security reasons.

Some websites and programs have a button that says, "Show Password." When you click on it, the password is displayed the way it was typed.

But this feature isn't always available. So, I suggest typing the password into a Notepad document, then copying and pasting it into the password field. I hope that helps.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Gene

I don’t know if JAWS has any ability to do this.  NVDA has an add-on that will cause passwords to be announced just as other text is when you type.  You can’t read the password after you type it but the carachters are announced when typing.

Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2021 7:00 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] NVDA password echo

Unfortunately, no screen reader I've ever used has a way to echo a password. I'm assuming this is for security reasons.

Some websites and programs have a button that says, "Show Password." When you click on it, the password is displayed the way it was typed.

But this feature isn't always available. So, I suggest typing the password into a Notepad document, then copying and pasting it into the password field. I hope that helps.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

John Holcomb II

I don’t know of such a feature in JAWS.

John

Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2021 7:00 PM

Unfortunately, no screen reader I've ever used has a way to echo a password. I'm assuming this is for security reasons.

Some websites and programs have a button that says, "Show Password." When you click on it, the password is displayed the way it was typed.

But this feature isn't always available. So, I suggest typing the password into a Notepad document, then copying and pasting it into the password field. I hope that helps.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Mike B.

Hi Gene,

I tried to install the Speak Passwords Add-in and I get the message that it's not compatible.  I'm running the latest NVDA and the add-in is version 1.0 by Tyler Spivey.  Is this the correct add-in, or is there a different 1 to install?  Thanks much.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2021 7:00 PM

Unfortunately, no screen reader I've ever used has a way to echo a password. I'm assuming this is for security reasons.

Some websites and programs have a button that says, "Show Password." When you click on it, the password is displayed the way it was typed.

But this feature isn't always available. So, I suggest typing the password into a Notepad document, then copying and pasting it into the password field. I hope that helps.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Gene

Does the page say there is a development version?  There are a lot of add-ons not currently compatible with the beta of NVDA but I don’t know if you are running the beta.  If you are running the last nonbeta version, and there is a development or whatever they call it on the page version, that should work.

Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2021 7:00 PM

Unfortunately, no screen reader I've ever used has a way to echo a password. I'm assuming this is for security reasons.

Some websites and programs have a button that says, "Show Password." When you click on it, the password is displayed the way it was typed.

But this feature isn't always available. So, I suggest typing the password into a Notepad document, then copying and pasting it into the password field. I hope that helps.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Mike B.

I'm running the latest non-beta version and I found an addon called, Report Passwords, that has both a stable and developmental version.  They both have the same version number, 1.2, so I installed the development version and it works on both my Win-7 & 10 computers.  Thanks mooy moocho.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.