NVDA question for a friend

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

A friend has asked me to find out what the command is for going to the top and bottom of a web page using NVDA. He said he's looked through all of the documentation and can't find it.

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

The same as with any browser that uses either the virtual pc cursor or browse mode or anything else a designer may want to call it.  Control home to move to the top of the page, control end to move to the bottom.

Those are the same commands you use in any word processor to move to the top or bottom of the document. 

You are working with a virtual cursor, the cursor isn't really there but it behaves as though you were moving a cursor in a document and the same movement commands apply.

Gene

On 5/16/2022 4:00 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

A friend has asked me to find out what the command is for going to the top and bottom of a web page using NVDA. He said he's looked through all of the documentation and can't find it.

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

Gene,

He says he's tried that and it doesn't work, and btw he's been a computer trainer for the blind in the past and may still be one so when he says it doesn't work I believe him.

Troy

On 5/16/2022 4:42 PM, Gene wrote:
The same as with any browser that uses either the virtual pc cursor or browse mode or anything else a designer may want to call it.  Control home to move to the top of the page, control end to move to the bottom.

Those are the same commands you use in any word processor to move to the top or bottom of the document. 

You are working with a virtual cursor, the cursor isn't really there but it behaves as though you were moving a cursor in a document and the same movement commands apply.

Gene

Hi all,

Thanks.

Troy

Monte Single

To go to the top or bottom of a web page, is the same as any page.
Control plus home for top of page and
Control plus end for bottom of page.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: May 16, 2022 3:00 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] NVDA question for a friend

Hi all,

Thanks.

Troy

Quentin Christensen

Mostly just chiming in to reiterate that control+home and control+end should generally work.  The main time I can think where they might not, is if the focus is on a form, eg on an edit box, and NVDA is in focus mode - then those commands will move to the start and end of that field (as is normally desirable in an edit field).

You mentioned your friend had been a trainer, is that with NVDA or with other screen readers?  While I think this particular situation works very similar in other screen readers, I was just going to mention that if he is familiar with Jaws, we do have a switching from Jaws to NVDA guide: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA and also a switching from Window-eyes to NVDA guide: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/Switching-from-Window-Eyes-to-NVDA

We also have training material for NVDA which will teach you from scratch, which is the "Basic Training for NVDA" module.  Despite the name, it actually goes from initially starting NVDA and using common commands, up to more advanced concepts like object navigation and the review cursor and using configuration profiles.  You can find that module, and our modules on the various Microsoft Office programs here: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 10:11 AM Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham

Hi all,

Thanks.

Troy

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Gene

Then there is something wrong with his system or his NVDA installation.  Did he run the com registration tool?  Are there other problems? 

Gene

On 5/16/2022 6:50 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:

Gene,

He says he's tried that and it doesn't work, and btw he's been a computer trainer for the blind in the past and may still be one so when he says it doesn't work I believe him.

Troy

Gene

Hi all,

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

Or perhaps the only thing wrong is that the automatically use browse mode on page load setting is set to off.  a message from another list member caused me to think of that possibility.  We don't have nearly enough information.

Suggest that the person opens a web page, then issues the command NVdA key space.  Now can he move around the page properly?

Gene

On 5/16/2022 8:36 PM, Gene wrote:
Then there is something wrong with his system or his NVDA installation.  Did he run the com registration tool?  Are there other problems? 

Gene

On 5/16/2022 6:50 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:

Gene,

Troy

Gene

Hi all,

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

Quentin,

Thanks for your help. I think he's mostly trained with jaws.

He just told me that he's doing an NVDA presentation tomorrow at noon central time, so he obviously doesn't have a lot of time to study. I guess he figured everything else out except for the top and bottom of page thing but I will tell him to make sure he's not in a forms field before trying ctrl-home or end and see if that's his problem.

Troy

On 5/16/2022 8:14 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Mostly just chiming in to reiterate that control+home and control+end should generally work.  The main time I can think where they might not, is if the focus is on a form, eg on an edit box, and NVDA is in focus mode - then those commands will move to the start and end of that field (as is normally desirable in an edit field).

You mentioned your friend had been a trainer, is that with NVDA or with other screen readers?  While I think this particular situation works very similar in other screen readers, I was just going to mention that if he is familiar with Jaws, we do have a switching from Jaws to NVDA guide: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA and also a switching from Window-eyes to NVDA guide: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/Switching-from-Window-Eyes-to-NVDA

We also have training material for NVDA which will teach you from scratch, which is the "Basic Training for NVDA" module.  Despite the name, it actually goes from initially starting NVDA and using common commands, up to more advanced concepts like object navigation and the review cursor and using configuration profiles.  You can find that module, and our modules on the various Microsoft Office programs here: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Kind regards

Quentin.

Hi all,

Thanks.

Troy

--
Quentin Christensen

Quentin Christensen

The other point that Gene made which is also worth being aware of, is whether he actually is in focus or browse mode.  These work similarly to forms and browse mode in Jaws.

Browse mode lets you press single letter navigation keys such as h to jump to the next heading, d to jump to the next landmark or f to jump to the next form field. (Shift+letters to jump to the previous instance).

Focus mode is where you can interact with form fields and type text into edit fields.  So those single letter navigation keys don't work in focus mode.

NVDA is set to change automatically by default, but this can be disabled, which would explain if it is not automatically changing as needed.  NVDA makes a high pitched click sound when it goes from browse to focus mode, and a lower beep when it changes from focus to browse mode (it can be set to speak these instead).

If you are in focus mode and want to get back to browse mode, press escape.

Your NVDA key is either insert or caps lock, similar to Jaws, although with NVDA this can be set independently of whether you are in desktop or laptop keyboard layout.  Press NVDA+spacebar to force NVDA to change between browse and focus modes or back, but be aware that this will disable automatic switching while on the current page.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 11:57 AM Troy Burnham <troyburnham34@...> wrote:

Quentin,

Thanks for your help. I think he's mostly trained with jaws.

He just told me that he's doing an NVDA presentation tomorrow at noon central time, so he obviously doesn't have a lot of time to study. I guess he figured everything else out except for the top and bottom of page thing but I will tell him to make sure he's not in a forms field before trying ctrl-home or end and see if that's his problem.

Troy

On 5/16/2022 8:14 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

Kind regards

Quentin.

Hi all,

Thanks.

Troy

--
Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen

chris judge

Hi Troy. The command to get to the top or bottom of a web page, regardless of what screen reader you are using, is control home and control end respectively.

Sent: May 16, 2022 6:00 PM

Hi all,

Thanks.

Troy