Topics

NVDA Settings

Marie

Can you export NVDA setting to use in a new installation?
TIA
Marie

Quentin Christensen

Yes, the easiest way is to open NVDA's menu (NVDA+N) then Tools (T) then Create Portable Copy (C).  Follow the prompts and put it on a memory stick.  Move to your new computer, run the portable version and NVDA+N, T, then "Install NVDA".

Kind regards
Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Marie

I already installed NVDA on the new system. Should I uninstall it before performing these instructions?

Also I am not sure what you mean by "run NVDA +n,t.

And do I then install the full version from the portable? I  have never used a portable copy.

Yes, the easiest way is to open NVDA's menu (NVDA+N) then Tools (T) then Create Portable Copy (C).  Follow the prompts and put it on a memory stick.  Move to your new computer, run the portable version and NVDA+N, T, then "Install NVDA".

Kind regards
Quentin.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 9:14 AM Marie <magpie.mn@...> wrote:
Can you export NVDA setting to use in a new installation?
TIA
Marie

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

You can install over the top of the new version, that shouldn't cause any problems.  When I said "NVDA+n, t", firstly your NVDA key is either INSERT or CAPS LOCK, depending on how you have NVDA setup - so press INSERT+N to open the NVDA menu, then T for Tools was what I meant.

And yes, if you install the full version from the portable and ensure you check the box to copy your settings over (and do that when you create the portable version in the first place also btw).

Kind regards
Quentin.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 9:38 AM Marie <magpie.mn@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike B

Hi Marie,

Since I run the same version of NVDA on all my computers whether Windows 7 or 10, what I do is copy the NVDA folder with all its subfolders to Dropbox or a flashdrive from the following path:

C:\Users \ User Name \ AppData \ Roaming \ nvda

I then paste it into the same path of another computer overwrighting all existing NVDA files and folders.  I now have that version set-up the same way as the other.

Others may say not to do it this way, but I have yet to incurr a single problem doing this way for about 4 years now.  Just make sure you're running the same version of NVDA on all computers you do this with.  I've even sent my NVDA folder to a friend on the east coast and he pasted into his computer with no issues.

I already installed NVDA on the new system. Should I uninstall it before performing these instructions?

Also I am not sure what you mean by "run NVDA +n,t.

And do I then install the full version from the portable? I  have never used a portable copy.

Yes, the easiest way is to open NVDA's menu (NVDA+N) then Tools (T) then Create Portable Copy (C).  Follow the prompts and put it on a memory stick.  Move to your new computer, run the portable version and NVDA+N, T, then "Install NVDA".

Kind regards
Quentin.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 9:14 AM Marie <magpie.mn@...> wrote:
Can you export NVDA setting to use in a new installation?
TIA
Marie

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Gene

If you want to preserve your settings and adde-ons in a new installation, the usual way to do this is to make a portable version of NVDA from the installed version you are running, and then run the portable version on the machine you want to install it on, and use that running version to install NVDA from the portable version. These operations, creating a portable version and installing from the portable version can be done using the tools submenu in NVDA.

If the installed version makes changes to the registry, and I know that if you want it to run at bootup, that is done by a registry entry, your method doesn't do this.

It is generally not a good idea when installing a nonportable version of a program, to just copy files. A lot of the time, programs you place on a computer won't work properly and perhaps not at all.

I already installed NVDA on the new system. Should I uninstall it before performing these instructions?

Also I am not sure what you mean by "run NVDA +n,t.

And do I then install the full version from the portable? I have never used a portable copy.

Yes, the easiest way is to open NVDA's menu (NVDA+N) then Tools (T) then Create Portable Copy (C). Follow the prompts and put it on a memory stick. Move to your new computer, run the portable version and NVDA+N, T, then "Install NVDA".

Kind regards
Quentin.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 9:14 AM Marie <magpie.mn@...> wrote:

Can you export NVDA setting to use in a new installation?
TIA
Marie

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Marie

Thanks Mike,

I am going to give this a try because it is not my primary screen reader and the install is new and can be uninstalled and re-installed if necessary. But it has taken time to get it set to a tolerable use so I don't want to have to do it all over again. LOL!

Marie

-----Original Message----- From: Mike B
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2020 8:31 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

----- Original Message ----- From: Marie
I already installed NVDA on the new system. Should I uninstall it before performing these instructions?

Also I am not sure what you mean by "run NVDA +n,t.

And do I then install the full version from the portable? I  have never used a portable copy.

Yes, the easiest way is to open NVDA's menu (NVDA+N) then Tools (T) then Create Portable Copy (C).  Follow the prompts and put it on a memory stick. Move to your new computer, run the portable version and NVDA+N, T, then "Install NVDA".

Kind regards
Quentin.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 9:14 AM Marie <magpie.mn@...> wrote:

Can you export NVDA setting to use in a new installation?
TIA
Marie

Marie

Is it okay to run the portable version from Drop box or does it have to be on a thumb drive?

On 7/12/2020 6:43 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

I think if you try to run it from Drop box it will download it - it should work, I haven't tried it that way.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Mike B

Hi Marie,

Yes, exactly!  That's why I just transfer files from 1 system to the others.  I am sorry that I did fail to mention that if NVDA is your default screenreading program of choice not to follow the way I do it, but like I said I haven't had a failure in over 4 years of doing it this way.

On 7/12/2020 6:43 PM, Gene wrote:
> If you want to preserve your settings and adde-ons in a new
> installation, the usual way to do this is to make a portable version
> of NVDA from the installed version you are running, and then run the
> portable version on the machine you want to install it on, and use
> that running version to install NVDA from the portable version. These
> operations, creating a portable version and installing from the
> portable version can be done using the tools submenu in NVDA.
>
> If the installed version makes changes to the registry, and I know
> that if you want it to run at bootup, that is done by a registry
> entry, your method doesn't do this.
>
> It is generally not a good idea when installing a nonportable version
> of a program, to just copy files. A lot of the time, programs you
> place on a computer won't work properly and perhaps not at all.
>
> Gene
> -----Original Message----- From: Mike B
> Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2020 8:31 PM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] NVDA Settings
>

> Hi Marie,
>
> Since I run the same version of NVDA on all my computers whether
> Windows 7 or 10, what I do is copy the NVDA folder with all its
> subfolders to Dropbox or a flashdrive from the following path:
>
> C:\Users \ User Name \ AppData \ Roaming \ nvda
>
> I then paste it into the same path of another computer overwrighting
> all existing NVDA files and folders. I now have that version set-up
> the same way as the other.
>
> Others may say not to do it this way, but I have yet to incurr a
> single problem doing this way for about 4 years now. Just make sure
> you're running the same version of NVDA on all computers you do this
> with. I've even sent my NVDA folder to a friend on the east coast and
> he pasted into his computer with no issues.
>
> Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool.
> I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to
> please everybody.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: Marie

Gene

You can run it from anywhere your computer has access to the files. You can have it on an external drive or on your internal hard drive, or Dropbox, as examples.

I already installed NVDA on the new system. Should I uninstall it before performing these instructions?

Also I am not sure what you mean by "run NVDA +n,t.

And do I then install the full version from the portable? I have never used a portable copy.

Yes, the easiest way is to open NVDA's menu (NVDA+N) then Tools (T) then Create Portable Copy (C). Follow the prompts and put it on a memory stick. Move to your new computer, run the portable version and NVDA+N, T, then "Install NVDA".

Kind regards
Quentin.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 9:14 AM Marie <magpie.mn@...> wrote:

Can you export NVDA setting to use in a new installation?
TIA
Marie

Gene

Unless you have changed the default settings, if you have a Dropbox account and have uploaded it to that account, there is already a copy on the originating computer. So running it on the originating computer is just running it from that computer.

On a computer that isn't the originating computer, if you have it in the account you are using but it isn't actually on your computer, as in a shared account, I don't know what would happen. I should have clarified that in my last message. But since you can run the portable version from your internal hard drive, if you download it from Dropbox, you can run it after it is downloaded.