NVDA voices

Kimsan

Hi,

Last week, I installed NVDA, it sounds like it’s using narrator.

That’s a huge improvement from whatever the old one was called that I cannot remember right now, but I am wondering where can I get other voices as I am not liking what it’s using right now.

In all honesty, before I was using eloquence for NVDA, but this was several years ago and it was a hack.

Don’t misread that last statement, I’m not asking for a hack, I’m just saying that is how I used it last time, several years ago.

Thank you.

Quentin Christensen

NVDA has used OneCore voices (the voices built in to Windows 10 which Narrator also uses) as the default since NVDA 2018.2 - but if you had previously installed it and been updating it since, it wouldn't have changed the synthesizer you were already using.

To get new voices for OneCore, you need to install new speech packs in Windows.  Assuming you are using English (UK, American, etc), if you go to Windows language settings, and add new languages, look for the English ones, there are a number such as Canadian, Australian, and so on, and each of these come with speech packs which usually have at least two voices.  Once installed, you'll need to restart, but NVDA will find the voices.

Also, if you DO still like Eloquence, there is a legal solution - Code Factory make an NVDA add-on for Eloquence, and Vocalizer voices: https://codefactoryglobal.com/app-store/voices-for-nvda/

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Josh Kennedy

or you can just do what I did, buy codeFactory's sapi5 eloquence and then it just works and no updating of addons when NVDA changes stuff.