Topics

Nvda & windows 10 (latest versions for users?)

jldail13@...

Hi
My name is Jessica.
I joined this list today, as soon as I got the invitation.
My question is, how well do windows 10, & the latest version of NVDA work together?

My computer currently has windows 8.1, and jaws 16; but since JAWS has been locking up my computer lately, I'm thinking about switching.
ANY HELP/TIPS, AND/OR OPINIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Sent from my iPhone

Michael Babcock

Jessica:
welcome to the list, you might want to review this article:
"NVDA 2015.3: A BETTER SOLUTION FOR WINDOWS 10”
hope it helps.

Michael Babcock
Blind Dad, Brother, and Your Digital Marketing Partner :
@payown on periscope and twitter.

On Aug 30, 2015, at 4:59 PM, Jessica D <jldail13@...> wrote:

Hi
My name is Jessica.
I joined this list today, as soon as I got the invitation.
My question is, how well do windows 10, & the latest version of NVDA work together?

My computer currently has windows 8.1, and jaws 16; but since JAWS has been locking up my computer lately, I'm thinking about switching.
ANY HELP/TIPS, AND/OR OPINIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Sent from my iPhone

Beth

are you nuts? That's my work! I love what I wrote there, but I should add to what's there. NVDA 2015.3 does have its workings on. It lags a bit with Edge, but no more weird notifications that this app is incompatible.  So ... Michael Babcock, I am pleased that you referenced my work. :)
Beth
Beth Taurasi, Windows 10 edition,
Cell: 720-435-7407
Skype: denverqueen0920
Ms_denverqueen on Twitter
Instagram: denverqueen0920
Facebook: www.facebook.com/denverqueen0920
On 8/30/2015 6:00 PM, Michael Babcock wrote:

Jessica:
welcome to the list, you might want to review this article:
"NVDA 2015.3: A BETTER SOLUTION FOR WINDOWS 10”
hope it helps.

Michael Babcock
Blind Dad, Brother, and Your Digital Marketing Partner :
@payown on periscope and twitter.

On Aug 30, 2015, at 4:59 PM, Jessica D <jldail13@...> wrote:

Hi
My name is Jessica.
I joined this list today, as soon as I got the invitation.
My question is, how well do windows 10, & the latest version of NVDA work together?

My computer currently has windows 8.1, and jaws 16; but since JAWS has been locking up my computer lately, I'm thinking about switching.
ANY HELP/TIPS, AND/OR OPINIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Sent from my iPhone

jldail13@...

Hi,
Did they really add ccandy crush into windows 10? I don't like the game either, but saw the game referenced in your article, so figured I would ask.

I hope this is not off-topic, for the question I asked.
Thanks,
Jessica

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 30, 2015, at 8:09 PM, Beth <thebluesisloose@...> wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I got it somehow. I don't know if it was Asus's little prank or something. But I had it and erased it from my pc. I say it's evil. Just my thoughts. lol
On 8/30/2015 6:14 PM, Jessica D wrote:

[...]

Carlos

Hello Jessica,
The emphasis of the list is that very little which is tech related is off topic.  So no your question is most certainly not off topic.

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

I think I saw it somewhere in my computer - would dump the thing if I could.

Best from,

Carolyn

Facebook: www.facebook.com/denverqueen0920 <http://www.facebook.com/denverqueen0920>;
Or you can check out www.denverqueen.com <http://www.denverqueen.com>; for more information.

http://denverqueen.com/2015/08/25/nvda-2015-3-a-better-solution-for-windows-10/ <http://denverqueen..com/2015/08/25/nvda-2015-3-a-better-solution-for-windows-10/>;

http://yourownpay.com/

On Aug 30, 2015, at 4:59 PM, Jessica D < <mailto:jldail13@gmail.com> jldail13@gmail.com <mailto:jldail13@gmail.com> > wrote:

Hi
My name is Jessica.
I joined this list today, as soon as I got the invitation.
My question is, how well do windows 10, & the latest version of NVDA work together?

My computer currently has windows 8.1, and jaws 16; but since JAWS has been locking up my computer lately, I'm thinking about switching.
ANY HELP/TIPS, AND/OR OPINIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Sent from my iPhone

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...>

Hi Beth, Jessica and others,
For Jessica: Yes, NVDA 2015.3 will work with Windows 10. In addition to Beth's blog post, I've recorded an audio tutorial on NVDA which can be found at www.nvda-kr.org/en.
For Beth: Regarding NVDA geeks based in United States, there are several of us. The funny thing is, we have at least one geek in each time zone (I serve as the NVDA geek in the Pacific region (where I live) and sometimes serve as the American counterpart for NVDA lead developers in Australia). In terms of my work, I tend to be the one talking about Windows 10 and NVDA a lot (I do investigate NVDA issues with Windows 10 Insider builds (currently build 10532 for fast ring Insiders) and am the moderator of the NVDA Windows 10 list), and I am the author of various NVDA add-ons including Control Usage Assistant (abandoned; NVDA's answer to JAWS' context-sensitive help), Enhanced Touch Gestures (to fill in the gap in NVDA's support for touchscreens), GoldWave (supports 5.58 and up including 6 series) and StNPlaylist Studio (supports Studio 5.00 and up). I can say that I helped out with NVDA's support for Windows 10 (it was I who wrote the routine to let NVDA announce toasts in Windows 10 (someone did something with Windows 8 version) and am experimenting with supporting so-called universal Windows apps.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Joseph

On Aug 30, 2015, at 4:59 PM, Jessica D <jldail13@gmail.com
<mailto:jldail13@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi
My name is Jessica.
I joined this list today, as soon as I got the invitation.
My question is, how well do windows 10, & the latest version of NVDA
work together?

My computer currently has windows 8.1, and jaws 16; but since JAWS
has been locking up my computer lately, I'm thinking about switching.
ANY HELP/TIPS, AND/OR OPINIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Sent from my
iPhone

Beth

Holy crap, I did not know that. lol Joe, you're so smart! I knew you had something. But anyway, you should get me on Skype we can talk more. And yes, I can't wait for Windows apps to be more accessible. With the next update of NVDA, there should at least be more stuff.

On 8/30/2015 6:43 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

I can assure you that the foundation is being laid (let's talk more about
this on the NVDA WinTen (I should better change the name to NVDA Windows
Insiders somehow) list (I don't come on Skype these days as I'm busy with
academic endeavors). I can also tell you that there are people who are
smarter than I am and deserve more credit (Chris Toth, for instance, is a
true NVDA geek, as he and his friend Tyler Spivey are the gentlemen who
brought NVDA Remote add-on to life).
Cheers,
Joseph (Twitter: @joslee)
P.S. It is actually StationPlaylist Studio add-on (my mistake, as I was
using an Apex to write the previous message).

Facebook: www.facebook.com/denverqueen0920 Or you can check out
[...]

Blaster <blaster@...>

You do amazing work for NVDA and your very much appreciated. Last week I made the "Welcome to NVDA 2015" available from my dropbox account for people who had not heard of any tutorials let alone an audio tutorial and it was a download frenzy! My dropbox account was suspended in less than 12 hours for exceeding the 20GB limit per day quota. Luckily, A regular contributer to the blindtech group, Gene, posted the link you provided, or one similar. So that kept the information flowing.

Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication, Your Awesome!
Blaster

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...>

Hi,
Regarding the whole tutorial series (which lasts about ten hours), it was
done mainly for beginners new to NVDA (I'm aware of reviewers saying I
should have covered basic Windows concepts, but I'd rather leave it up to
someone more knowledgeable than I to do it). Since publishing the first
edition back in 2013, I received requests to record more tutorials
(especially more so after hosting NVDA Users and Developers Conference
(NVDACon) this year), ranging from a detailed tutorial on using add-ons to
how to translate NVDA into various languages (there is a dedicated mailing
list for this effort, and I lead NVDA Korean translations group).
The nine part tutorial is based on NVDA 2015.1. The complete set consists of
the following sections: the tutorial series itself, plus an addendum on
using MathPlayer and NVDA to read math content on the web, and What's New
tutorials for 2015.2 and 2015.3 (the last one is important, as I demonstrate
some Windows 10 features and Microsoft Edge).
Regarding Windows 10: Like some folks here, I've been a Windows Insider
since last fall and have been blogging about Windows 10 since then. I also
produced Windows 10 Tech Preview tutorials for builds 9841 and 9926 (October
2014 and January 2015, respectively; I may produce another one once Build
105xx comes to slow ring Insiders). When Windows 10 came out, I advised
users to wait a little while (I told users to hold off until JAWS 17,
Window-Eyes 9.2 and NVDA 2015.3 are available; JFW 16.0.4350 has some issues
with Windows 10, which will be a separate thread of its own (if Carlos
permits it)). In regards to Windows 10 Mobile, no third-party screen reader
will be compatible with it unless Microsoft changes their heart (quite
technical, but in short, because of philosophy differences, no third-party
screen reader will run on WinTen Mobile, including the so-called IoT
(Internet of Things) Core, a special version of Windows 10 designed for
appliances and gadgets).
Regarding my dedication and hard work: I'm more amazed that there are users
who are loyal NVDA advocates. My philosophy is to take the back seat and
watch the results of what I sowed - I'm more glad when another person's life
is enhanced through what we NVDA contributors do. Although I do tend to open
the frontiers sometimes and serve as a leader in some cases, I do know I'm
under authority (on NVDA users list where I serve as a moderator and a press
secretary, I'm subordinate to the head administrator (Nimer Jaber), and I'm
still under lead developers' authority) and take my duties seriously (for
those using Studio add-on, you know what I mean - I tend to become serious
when debugging small bugs that affect how a broadcaster conducts a show). In
regards to my overall work, my contribution is tiny (really nothing)
compared to what Michael "Mick" Curran and James "Jamie" Teh has done for
the blindness community for almost a decade (and I say this with sincerity).
Cheers,
Joseph