odd topic to bring up

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Hi,

I don’t use a desktop, or any form of desktop keyboard.

I use a laptop where dang near every key is close together but I’m not complaining about that as the memory, hd, speed of this laptop makes up for all of that lol.

Here’s my question and I would love to get some pointers/thoughts.

When typing, and in the middle of your sentence, or writing in general, you need to hit one of the function keys up above, what is your technique.

Do you start from the left, and count? Do you start from the right hand side of the keyboard and count left?  The former I do sometimes, but the latter I never do because right after the function key 12, there is the print screen and delete key, but again, there is no gap. From the escape all the way across the board to the other side.

Anyways, just thought I’d ask to those who use keyboards where all the keys are close together.

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

Monte Single

Hi Kimsan,

I am not a laptop user,

In the situations where I had to use a laptop, such as the last few years of work,  I plugged in a regular keyboard.

I do have a Bluetooth keyboard which I do use with my iphone sometimes.

To make life a little easier, I have put little dots of fabric paint on  some of the keys such as;

F4,   f8, f12,  and the numbers row items, 4, 7, and 0.

In this way, I do not have to count keys.

I used fabric paint  because some of the keys, especially the function keys are very small, like the function keys ona a laptop.

This fabric [paint is available at hobby and sewing stores, is cheap and sticks real well to plastic.

Yes, I got  a sighted friend to put the  paint dots on for me, otherwise, I would be wearing it.

If I had a close source  of inexpensive lockdots available, I would use that,  so fabric paint it is.

[...]

Dave Mitchel

I used to label every 4th key. that way it could be felt as though there were the gap.

just a dot is all that is needed.

On 11/21/2021 10:04 PM, Kimsan via groups.io wrote:

[...]

I thought about putting dots on the ones I frequently access.

Lately, I’m finding myself using f11, f12, print screen quite a bit.

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

[...]

It’s something to consider.

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...

[...]

what's nice is with dots you can always move them around.

On 11/22/2021 8:05 AM, Kimsan via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Nancy Hill

To help me with key count, I put a braille dot on the F5 key...that help find the other F keys quicker than starting from F1.

good luck!

nancy

On 11/22/2021 1:04 AM, Kimsan via groups.io wrote:

[...]

John Holcomb II

I  count when I’m using a keyboard like that. Or a keyboard without a NumPad.

John

[...]

Marie Nelson <scribbles.mn@...>

I also like the method of putting a dot on every fourth key. Then it is easy to find the other function keys.

Marie

[...]

How so?

Don’t they stick?

If you  can move them  easily enough they won’t  stay where you want them.

John

[...]

unstick them and move to where you think you need them. of course they stick what good would they be if they didn't?

On 11/22/2021 9:25 AM, John Holcomb II wrote:

[...]

Didn’t know that was even possible.

The ones I’ve used on  the washer and dryer when I had one that need dots would move or come off and I found that not too helpful…

So I wished they had ones that s stuck butter.

But I did use puffy paint too.

John

[...]

So I just got this new laptop last week. I think it’s a case of my fingers just needing to get use to the layout.  So far this morning, when reaching for function key 11, and 12, I’ve been spot on.

It could just be the mocha though lol.

Kimsan Song

Kimsansong@...